1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Bloomberg visits Tesla Fremont

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Jun 9, 2018.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Businessweek - Bloomberg

On the Model 3 body line on a Tuesday afternoon in early June, everything is still. Tesla Inc. is just coming off a week of downtime during which workers added a new production line, improved ventilation after a fire in the paint shop, and overhauled machines across the factory. But even after the changes, there are kinks to work out.
    . . .
    The first major snag was at Tesla’s Gigafactory in Reno, Nevada, where software defects caused robots to fail, meaning that thousands of cells had to be pieced together by hand.
    . . .
    Tesla says there isn’t any single problem slowing production down now. Instead, the heavy reliance on automation and new production methods have created a galaxy of smaller problems that must each be addressed individually.
    . . .
    Tesla uses a high-end Schuler servo stamping press to turn giant rolls of steel into Model 3 body parts. There are only 35 such presses in auto manufacturing worldwide, and Tesla says it is the first in the U.S. . . . Stamping was a production bottleneck on Tesla’s previous two cars—the Model S sedan and Model X SUV—and Musk didn’t want a repeat.
    . . .
    Putting together the pieces of the car’s body is an area that all automakers automate to varying degrees. However even state-of-the-art factories tend to rely on people to transport parts and load them onto the machines. . . . In April, Musk acknowledged that he had to rip out a complex conveyor system for parts and replace it with workers. Various robots throughout the line met a similar fate or had to be reprogrammed.
    . . .
    Car manufacturers hate seats. They're tedious to make and require different skills and materials than the rest of the car. It’s easier to outsource, and no major manufacturer does it all themselves. But relying on suppliers got Tesla into trouble with the Model X, when its engineers designed an extremely difficult-to-make “monopost” seat and an impossible-to-hit timeline. Problems with suppliers set production back by months, and Musk decided he wasn’t going to put up with it again.
    . . .
    Tesla says it has 47 robots deployed in scanning stations throughout the body line. They measure 1,900 points in every Model 3 to match them to design specs—with a precision of 0.15 millimeters. Torque measurements are also automatically recorded for every bolt that’s fastened. During the final test drives on the track, sound recorders measure squeaks, rattles and wind and road noise that a test driver might miss. All of this data is stored with each car’s unique Vehicle Identification Number, or VIN, so service centers can trace any issue back to a root cause in the factory. The idea is that Tesla will be able to improve its cars, even after they're in a customer’s driveway.

There is good reason for Detroit to fear Tesla's growing expertise.

Bob Wilson

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    fairly balanced report, shorters won't be happy with bloomberg.

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think Elon's biggest challenge are hedge funds. These soulless sharks seek to coordinate massive loans to purchase a business and saddle it with the purchase loan debt. Whether they install slave master managers or sell off the assets, their net effect is to lobotomize the creative engineers and destroy a company.

Bob Wilson

Zythryn, mczouav and bisco like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree 100%.

5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    some more information

New Tesla Model 3 Battery Details & Images Released

It looks like tesla has dropped battery weight - kg/kwh by 15% (compared to 2012 in 2017 when the new packs came out) mainly by cutting down the weight of the pack structure around cells and electronics. This is possible because of the removal of the requirement of changing packs, which gives the pack designer more freedom. The model 3 also uses high strength steel to protect the pack and people from side impacts, which seems like a better idea than using the pack structure. length has been reduced because the new cells are taller, which seems like a good trade off. The main thing tesla have done is reduce cost in the pack, as the original 85 kwh pack was probably light and small enough, the engineering effort appears to be to drive costs down to $100/kwh on the pack level. That would make the cost of the long range pack (80.5 kwh) drop to $8500. Tesla says they will do this in the next 2 years, but my guess is 4 years.

Tesla has improved seats in the model 3 in the current cars versus the initial deliveries. This is a much faster change than would have been implemented if tesla used a vendor, but if they had used a vendor for the interior, it is likely it would be nicer from the start. I've got to say doing things differently here was probably necessary when tesla was a low volume producer, and could not command vendor resources. With the higher volume model 3 they should take a loss on fixed costs and get a vendor like adient to supply them. This is a fairly low margin business compared to the rest of the car, and tesla already is having trouble hiring enough good people.

#5 austingreen, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Adient is in business trouble and changed management. Just I believe Elon has already learned about delays with subcontractor seats. I do not see him repeating that lesson learned soon.

Bob Wilson

#6 bwilson4web, Jun 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    another reason not to be too early an adopter.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    But like big screen TV's - the next great thing is always just around the corner. You could end up just waiting for ever.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the second year is just about right. unless they are giving everyone upgraded seats.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla just cut 9% of workforce, mostly salaried, that's like 3,400 workers. I'm thinking, well, if you lose money long enough, going to happen.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe because of all the robotics they just installed?

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Car manufacuturers hate seats, huh? Do they hate seats as much as I hate ill fitting seats? Bad enough spending lot of time in car commuting, battling traffic. Doing that in ill fitting seats is not something I sign up for anymore. That said there is only one model of car that checks all my boxes, 2018+ Accord.

Couple weeks ago, was blowing off few minutes at Toyota, salesguy said, oh u gotta try the 'all new' Avalon. Wah, wah, fail. Lacks headroom, less headroom than Accord and seats are typical Toyota, small cushions that squeeze legs and hips. All for $40k? Ah, next.

Lucifer likes this.
  13. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Tesla announced 6-8 weeks ago a restructuring in the company.
    Sounds as if the severance package was quite generous.

I’m not thinking this is running out of money, I think it is an effort/result of efficiency gains.

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With benefits, each worker runs about ~$100k this saving $340,000,000/yr.

Of course this is red-meat for auto unions.

Bob Wilson

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Musk calls the cuts, "flattening management" which is often the best thing to do. Chop down the deadwood ... including the deadwood that hires layers of deadwood underneath - just to make their purpose less relevant. Over the past 1½ decades - our company needs to do this in the worst way.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if they can keep churning out model 3's without them, good riddance.

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    "Generous" is a relative term. The employees don't have a lot of tenure. I wouldn't expect much in salary continuation but if their stock becomes vested they have an opportunity or two to make some money. Are there any old Solar City employees left?

Maybe Elon will give them all printed shirts: I was Elon's barnacle and all I got was this Boring t-shirt.

Rolls-Royce also announced a similar sized layoff.

18. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Oh, Oh, so, imagine Toyota buying Tesla and Rolls Royce, the workforce talent, the upgraded interiors, (Rolls Royce) the inefficiency (Tesla).

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Model 3 LR is rated 130mpge. That makes it the third most efficient plug in on the US market after the Ioniq Electric(136mpge) and Prius Prime(133mpge). It has nearly two and half times the range of the Ioniq, and the prime needs gasoline to go past 25 miles.

The Model S and X are less efficient because Tesla chose to use induction motors to avoid the need for rare earth minerals in the magnets. Even though "inefficient", an ICE car would need to get around 100mpg to match them.

hill likes this.
  20. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Unlikely as these were all salaried positions. Zero production floor cuts as I recall.