1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blow by causing service hybrid

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by me and my prius, Oct 11, 2020.

1. me and my prius

me and my prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    2011 prius v with 300,000 miles, second tow to dealer. Check Hybrid light pcv hose blown of of valve cover
    reattach EVAP purge hose 9,000 miles ago exact same thing This is tech summary: For the pcv hose to become dislodged without outside interaction it would take a significant pcv pressure, due to excessice crankcase blowby This can be caused by compression leakage past the piston rings and into the crankcase.
    My questions are Is it a correct diagnosis and second considering the mileage should I get rid of it Since it happened at about 290,000 will it be more likely to continue sooner as mileage accumulates Thanks

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What were symptoms as it got increasingly worse? Also has the EGR valve been cleaned or replaced ever? That's the biggest problem with these Gen3 cars, which blows head gaskets so addressing/excluding those issues makes the diagnosis way more legit. For the moment I'm suspicious that the force involved to pop off a hose is at play unless the hose is clogged or was improperly attached.

ASRDogman and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    300k miles is a LOT!

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "Check Hybrid light pcv hose blown of of valve cover"???
    Maybe that's what they told you, but the PCV valve is under the intake manifold on the Prius.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a second PCV hose, between valve cover and intake snorkel? There's some big hose there, you need to remove to take off the snorkel; I think it's for PCV.

6. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

And it’s clamped at both ends. Granted, just a squeeze clamp, but that’s some pressure to blow that off.

7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    if you do decide to keep it I'd recommend AAA or another auto club.
    I'm considering it at 35k, but I have two other headaches approaching 200k in the stable.

8. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, the hose to the valve cover is the pcv breather. It supplies fresh air to the crankcase while the pcv valve draws fumes into the intake manifold.

I couldn't imagine the breather hose getting "blown" off unless it was clogged (??) while there was a ton of blow-by. The engine would be leaking oil from most every seal and gasket if that was the case.

If the ends of the breather hose aren't petrified or split I would secure them with gear clamps & see what happens.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

9. James Analytic

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm guessing a leak down test and/or compression test would be a great idea. Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance

Wondering about piston rings and how they allow for leakage. There are some posts regarding fuel additives and engine oil additives that owners used in their Prius to break up the carbon deposits on the rings since they can bind in their seats reads like and not seal correct and therefore letting pressure from combustion enter into the crankcase through the leaky space that the rings are supposed to seal between the piston and cylinder wall.

Other leakage can be through the valves and I guess somehow coming backwards to blow out the PCV Valve Ventilation Hose from the direction of going backwards to the PCV Valve from the Intake Manifold.

Guessing the other way around where the pressure is building up from leaky rings on the pistons and going into the crankcase and then PCV Valve into the Ventilation Hose before the intake. Possibly, the intake is clogged really bad at the intake manifold location where the PCV Valve Ventilation Hose attaches as I guess that's the hose coming off.

Might even be the Ventilation Hose is clogged since I recently posted an image and video of the preliminary work I've performed regarding the PCV Valve circuit preventative maintenance (PM) and upgrade... where I was stunned to find chunks of carbon deposited inside the Ventilation Hose just prior to the intake in the larger ~5/8" ID section.

Not certain in any of your scenarios since there really isn't enough information presented to detail a more likely situation.

#9 James Analytic, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020