1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blow speakers.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Prius1mil, Nov 8, 2022.

1. Prius1mil

Prius1mil New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I bought a 07 Prius. All four of the 6.5 inch speakers are blown. They were blown when I bought it. I have another Prius I use for parts. I can pull the speakers from my parts Prius but is it worth it? Or is it better to bite the bullet and buy new speakers?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    depends on what sound quality you're looking for. i'm happy with stock, but an audiophile might want an improvement, possibly an amplifier as well

3. Prius1mil

Prius1mil New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I am ok with sound quality. My concern is if all four speakers went bad, is if I replace with factory, are they all going to fail again.

bisco likes this.
  4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    To confirm all 4 speakers are blown hook up some wires to each speaker and tap those two wires to a 1.5v or 9v battery and if you hear a clicking sound the speaker are not the problem. But if it is the speakers:

You could buy 4 speakers online for less than $100 total that will sound better than the original ones. But don't get suckered into super inexpensive car stereo speakers, they're a total scam that is paying for car stereo over-priced rip-off culture not sound quality.

#4 PriusCamper, Nov 8, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never heard of all four speakers going bad. the problem is likely somewhere else, including abuse by the prior owner

6. Grzldvt

Grzldvt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Interested in how this worked out. if they were JBL speakers I would be shocked if all were blown. I had JBL's, and again not factory installed as they are a bit less quailty, but abused the hell out of them and they never failed. I had a system with JBL's that had people running and screaming from their homes thinking the band was going by live it was so loud and clear.
    I have the JBL system in my 2007 and while not the best I have heard, it seems decent enough. I am an audiophile and need to get my Iasca disc in it to tune it up. But in the two weeks I have had the car, it is so much better than GM's Bose systems, which quite frankly are pathetic at best I am fairly happy with the JBL system for the moment. Shutting off the rear speakers, the JBL's have a decent soundstage. I can hear a good mix of the music and vocals across the dash. I started to incorporate a little of the rear speakers and it just created a confusing mess. So they are useless.