1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blower Fan suddenly stopped working - Gen 1 2001 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by WadeLovell, Apr 26, 2016.

1. WadeLovell

WadeLovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One day my blower fan just didn't come on one morning. I suspected the last item I'd replaced, the four month old blower fan itself. The old fan and the new tested good when connected directly to a 12v battery. Since I had it out, I replaced it anyway.
    Eventually,
    I replaced the blower fan
    I replaced the resistor pack (even though it is irrelevant on the high setting)
    I replaced the three HTR relays in the junction box under the hood on the driver's side
    I replaced the large brown relay in the junction box under the hood on the passenger's side
    I replaced all of the fuses I could identify as possibly related to the blower fan with the ones that light up when they burn out

Then I took it to Five Star Automotive who charged me to incorrectly claim it was the resistor pack AFTER I twice reminded them the resistor pack is bypassed on high.

Then I took it to an independent shop who charged me to incorrectly claim it must be the blower fan only to turn red when I mentioned the tests I had performed.

I have >=12.7 volts to the fan positive on the high and automatic settings and less on the other settings - nothing on OFF, of course :),
    I have <1 ohm resistance to ground from the fan wiring harness connector
    I can run the fan off 12v by connecting a 12v source to the short blower fan wiring harness

Suggestions as to what to do next? Did I miss any obvious components besides these? (1. The dash switch which, based on the changes in voltage at the blower fan harness, seems to be working. 2. The fuses which I've checked. Plus, I have voltage at the blower fan harness. 3. HVAC Controller. 4. Wiring harness.)

Do I need to play Morse code with the AC to pull a code that might be useful?

It seems to me I have voltage without adequate amperage.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.
    Wade

2. WadeLovell

WadeLovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: The green lights work on the AC and Max AC buttons. However, when I attempt the ignition on, fan off, press AC button 3x, fan to auto - nothing happens. No light blinking at all. What failed part or relay does this point to?

BTW - The car generates AC and heat and at speed some comes through the vents due to outside air being forced in.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi there,

When faced with an interesting enough problem, sometimes the best course of action really is to register on techinfo.toyota.com, look at the service manuals (there's a paywall, but $15 for two days of access, or over the weekend, is peanuts compared to the kind of aggravation you're recounting here). The service manuals are not some sort of evil temptation that you must prove yourself by doing without. They will actually help you. (Already, they could have helped you know that the thing you're calling a resistor pack is really a pulse-width-modulated electronic motor control, and the idea that it is bypassed on high is something you're remembering from your grandfather's car, and you could have saved some face when talking with the first mechanic shop.)

In all likelihood there was only one original problem and most of the parts you've thrown at it haven't been needed ... if it were my car, I'd just slow down, refer to the manual and wiring diagram, do the indicated tests, find the problem, and then fix it.

Considering that the enter-diagnostics-mode sequence involves the fan control knob, and you don't seem able to enter diagnostics mode, it might not be unreasonable to check that control. I would first review the manual to be absolutely sure you're doing the right sequence in the right order.

Checking the fan control knob will involve removing the center finish panel; if you search here you'll find links to a video I made, aimed at improving your chances of removing it without damage.

-Chap

MDNHW11 likes this.
  4. WadeLovell

WadeLovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Chap,

You're obviously an old hand at this. Yes, I have owned an entire library devoted to each of several vehicles I've owned in the past. My advice to others has always been similar and I am registering for access as soon as I finish thanking you for taking the time to respond. pulse-width-modulated electronic motor control, really? Yep, time for this old dog to learn some new tricks.

5. WadeLovell

WadeLovell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good news! If anyone has a question that might be answered in techinfo, hit me up. I have a membership through tomorrow night.

Bad news! I haven't found an explanation on techinfo of the AC light not flashing after the "IGN ON, Fan Off, press AC button three times, Turn Fan to Auto" sequence or how knowing this helps diagnose the likely problem. The bits that are useful were posted here by others long ago including:

DI−920

1 Check blower motor.
    PREPARATION:
    Remove blower motor (See page AC−33).
    CHECK:
    Connect positive (+) lead connected to terminal 2 of blower motor
    connector, negative (−) lead to terminal 1.
    OK:
    Blower motor operates smoothly. (YES it does!)
    NG Replace blower motor.
    OK
    2 Check harness and connector between battery and blower motor, blower motor
    and body ground (See page IN−41).
    NG Repair or replace harness or connector.
    OK (TESTS Okay)
    3 Check harness and connector between blower motor linear controller and A/C
    amplifier (See page IN−41).
    NG Repair or replace harness or connector.
    OK (TESTS Okay)
    Check A/C amplifier (See page IN−41). (BTW, page IN-41 is generic and not directly related to the A/C amplifier.)
    NG Replace A/C amplifier. (Ruh-roh!) A communication stop from the A/C amplifier should throw a DTC 62. I don't have any DTCs
    OK
    Replace blower motor linear controller.

Should I try an A/C amplifier even though I don't have any DTCs? :-( I can't get the A/C unit itself to display any code and my code reader does not show any codes through the OBDII port.

Is $75 about right for a used one?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Wade,

Well, so you know that if everything is operating properly, the A/C controller will always respond to your IG.ON-AC-AC-AC-FAN.AUTO sequence with four slow blinks, then go into simultaneous DTC readout and actuator test mode. Whether it reads out any DTCs depends on whether there are any; if there aren't, it goes into steady rapid blink instead. But the initial four slow blinks will always happen when you do that ... unless something quite fundamental is wrong. Something prior to the whole idea of whether you have any DTCs, something that is preventing the A/C controller from even doing what it has to do to show you the DTCs if you had any.

So you think: what is responsible for making those patterned light blinks?
    • The software in the A/C controller
    What inputs are needed to command the software to do that?
    • The IG power source circuit (A7 pin 1 at the A/C controller, has a diagnostic section in volume 1)
    • The A/C switch pushbutton (SW A/C and PSG on page 191 of the wiring diagram)
    • The blower control input (BSET, PSG, PIG5 also on page 191)
    because those are the three inputs you use to command the software into test mode. Either it is not happening because it's not getting part of your command (because one or more of those inputs is flaky), or it's not happening because the A/C controller itself has rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible, and is no longer running its software).

If the controller is toast, to fix the problem you replace the controller, clear enough. It probably makes sense to test the three inputs first. The IG terminal is easy, you stick a meter on A7 pin 1 and see if it's going to 12 volts when ignition is on.

The SW A/C and BSET inputs are a little harder to get to. The buttons and rotaries aren't connected directly to the A/C controller board, they are on the "circuit, center cluster module" (55935-47020) which in turn is connected to the A/C board by a narrowish ribbon cable. The ends of that cable aren't finished in conventional connectors, they're just unfinished and slip into zero-insertion-force connectors on the two boards (or are soldered to one of the boards and ZIFed to the other one, if I remember right). Any time you take apart the center panel (say to change the illumination bulbs) you can't miss that ribbon cable, it's in the way and you have to find the ZIF connector and undo it.

The schematic on page 191 of the wiring manual is about the most you have to go on for that, but it's pretty simple; the four buttons just pull their respective circuits down to ground (PSG) when pressed, and the three rotaries are nothing but adjustable voltage dividers between PIG5 which is some constant voltage (probably 5) when ignition is on, and ground (PSG again). So you should be able to measure the voltage at BSET sweeping smoothly between 0 volts and whatever voltage PIG5 is, as you smoothly turn the knob from one end of travel to the other.

If meters are black magic to you, then you might just end up swapping the A/C controller board, or the "circuit, center cluster module" board, in whichever order, looking for something to improve.

-Chap