1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blower motor intermittent

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by respun01, Jan 16, 2021.

1. respun01

respun01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m having an intermittent blower fan problem. I pulled the fan and kept it connected, and of course I couldn’t get it to stall outside the dash.

I’m pretty sure it’s the fan, but I just wanted an outside opinion. I’m not sure but I think the fan should spin a bit more freely than this. (I’ll link a video)

I should add, it did start when I nudged it when it was stalled in the dash.

#1 respun01, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  2. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have no experience with that specific blower but compared to others that one has too much internal friction. Typically blowers/fans will spin for quite a while before stopping. If there is a gap between the bottom of the white plastic part and the motor section check that it isn't jammed up with hair or dust. Ditto if you can see into the motor on the other side (which probably is not the case, the bottoms are usually sealed). That's a long shot, most likely the bearings are worn or the lubrication in the motor has evaporated or gummed up. If there is no dirt try to find a bottle of turbine oil (Ace used to carry it) and lubricate it with that. Doing that will usually make a fan or turbine work for a while, maybe even a year. However I have never seen that approach keep a blower/fan limping along for longer than that, and it worked best when the blower/fan was on 100% of the time, as in computer fans.

I should add that when blowers really go down the tube they tend to draw ever increasing amounts of current and in some cars the heat from the extra current has been said to melt connectors. So lube it now if you must as a stop gap measure, but order the replacement motor soon, so you don't also have to replace parts of the wiring.

#2 pasadena_commut, Jan 16, 2021
    respun01 likes this.
  3. respun01

respun01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That’s what I figured, I just ordered a replacement.

Yeah, the bottom side is enclosed and the top is obscured by the fan itself. It looks like it slung all its oil on the underside of the fan. I’m going to look into rebuilding this one as a spare, but I don’t have high hopes for finding the parts.

Thanks for the tips pasadena_commut, and I saw your post about your catalytic converter, my condolences.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most likely you have a bad cabin leak like just about all g2's. The classic cracks in the runners on the roof terminating in the corner of the hatch valley will drip water right on the power connector of that fan rot the connector out and starve the fan power.

Get a flashlight and check in the 12 volt battery well for standing water. Then if the connector is corroded bypass the connector and butt splice the wires. This is very common on a G2.

use the search forums link up top and search:

LEAK

As a side note i have also lubricated my blower fan with 3 in 1 oil they have an Electric motor viscosity grade oil. Says Electric Motor on the front of the oiler. Take the little seal off the back of the fan and squirt some of that in there if connector ok. It works good on your home compressor fan too although i have heard the new fans no longer have an oil port. Alas.

The 3 in 1 Electric Motor oil is sold at Lowes.

Electric Motor Oil | SAE 20 Oil | 3-IN-ONE

#4 edthefox5, Jan 16, 2021
    respun01 likes this.
  5. respun01

respun01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks edthefox5, I’ll try that oil out, hopefully keep things going until my replacement gets here. No water in the 12v well thankfully, and I’ll definitely look into the possibility of cracks. She’s a California car w/60k on the chassis, so hopefully no cracks yet.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your aware of the stolen cats right?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you thinking of the battery fan? I think the OP meant the HVAC fan under the dash.

Long way for water to travel from a hatch leak.

respun01 likes this.
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes thought it was the hybrid fan.....hybrid battery on the brain I guess..

9. respun01

respun01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have heard people steal cats off of priuses, if that's what you mean. I've been lucky so far (knock on wood), but I've been thinking about getting one of those plates/shields installed, since my area isn't the nicest.

10. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I replaced my blower fan a couple of years ago. Same symptoms. It was working on and off for some time but since we have the AC always on Auto and my inexperienced son was driving the car it took some time to find out. Good news is just around $50 and 30 minutes work.

respun01 likes this.
  11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes cat theft in California is now epidemic. Go on YouTube lookup

Prius stolen

for the ca situation.

sorry thought you were referring to the hybrid fan. Mine failed too at 75000 miles and it goes intermittent before it fails. It’s very difficult to replace difficult on your body if your older as you have to get in a bad position to get it out so do not buy a used one or after market parts store one if you do you will be will back in there replacing it few months later.
    Buy the oem one online or at the dealer. I like Olathe Toyota online.

respun01 likes this.