1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blower motor works intermittently

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GETAKLU, Jul 4, 2020.

1. GETAKLU

GETAKLU Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am have issues with the blower motor working intermittently on my 2005. I have had this car for about 6 years now and have driven it over 100,000 miles with no issues other than the speedometer display going out. The guy that I bought the car from recently recommended that I replace the inverter coolant pump, and after replacing the pump and bleeding the system I have started having problems with the blower motor. I’m not sure if these two things are related in any way, but the blower motor worked for a couple of days after the pump replacement and then quit. Later that day I started to work on it and in the process of moving it, it started working again and worked for about three trips and then quit again. Several days later now, after the car has been sitting, I started it up once again to pull it into my garage and it started working! Any help would be appreciated! I have not yet tore into it yet, wanted to see what you guys would recommend. It can’t be a fuse or a relay, it has to be the resistor or the fan motor I am guessing. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The blower motor (for AC and heating) has nothing to do with what happened outside of your car (inverter coolant pump replacement). They are completely unrelated.

You can get a replacement and install, they are fairly inexpensive. For a 2005, it wouldn't be surprising that these parts fail after 15 years of usage

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. GETAKLU

GETAKLU Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So you would replace the resistor and blower motor then?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would first replace the Fan blower motor. If that doesn't fix the problem, then move on to replace the blower motor control unit (the thing the fan plugs into).

Raytheeagle likes this.