1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blown head gasket confirmed...advice needed

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by AubreyIII, Jul 15, 2017.

1. AubreyIII

AubreyIII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK, I need some advice from those that have dealt with a blown head gasket.

2011 Prius w/143k mi - bought in January 2017

Couple of months ago it started knocking at startup and I noticed also the coolant needed topping off every couple of weeks (maybe an inch a week). I immediately suspected a blown head gasket, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to drive it a while. Yesterday I decided to run a combustion leak test and sure enough, the blue fluid turned yellow indicating the presence of combustion gasses in the cooling system. The startup knocking and coolant loss have become worse the last couple of weeks also.

So - what to do. Looks like I have 3 options, and probably two of them aren't realistic.

1. Pour some magic potion in the cooling system to hopefully plug up the leak for a few months - delays the inevitable but could keep me from having to spend so much on the car so quickly. If anyone has done this with any success, please tell me what you used, how you installed it, and how long it lasted.

2. Have the head gasket replaced. Probably cost as much as a used engine. Probably doesn't make any sense unless I do it myself, and frankly I am too old to try it. Any takers? How much did you pay?

3. Swap in a used engine. This is probably what I will do though paying for it will put me in a pretty big financial bind. For those that have done this, how much did you pay? How did you make sure you were getting a 'good' engine? Does the block have the VIN number on it, so the service history could be researched?

The local scrap yard charges $2,250 for a replacement engine and labor to install it. I haven't asked yet what kind of miles it would have on it, and what kind of warranty (if any) is provided.

I really appreciate your input!

2. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Last month I looked up prices online (not that I need one), and one sales database covering the whole country had around four Gen 3 Prius engines (with free shipping in 48 states?) with only 20K miles on them for about $2K like your local salvage yard. At that mileage, you don't really have to worry about maintenance. They would have just needed one oil change, and likely got it, since that's basically a new car. Yes, ask about a warranty.

3. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    check Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

LKQ is a reputable multi-billion dollar company with 40,000 employees, and listed on stock exchange...Not only do they not lie about miles, they will run the carfax over phone (at least with me the rep did)...

LKQ Corporation: NASDAQ:LKQ quotes & news - Google Finance

I'm sure that in your area there are a handful of other reputable junkyards but you probably won't know about them...I use these places a lot and there are 2 or 3 in my area that are good and the rest are average to possibly scamming (making up miles)...or at the very least extremely ghetto and poorly run.

The VIN is always going to show a crash on a used junkyard motor...That's how it got there...Lots of flood and salvage titles. In fact, if it doesn't have any major crash on the carfax then RUN AWAY LOL...Probably had bad motor and that's how it ended up at the dealer auction!!

It's hilarious when I call and ask for VIN from a random yard and they say they will call you back and they don't....Probably because they made up the miles!!!

4. AubreyIII

AubreyIII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have found engines locally for as little as $1,500, with less than 40k miles. The problem is getting someone reputable to do the work. All the big shops either won't touch it because it's a hybrid or they want an arm and a leg (latest quote: engine + labor = $4,612). There is a specialty breaker yard nearby that gave me a price of $2,250 installed a while back. I'm going to call them today to get the details.

5. AubreyIII

AubreyIII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK - specialty shop wants $2,150 to install an engine with 58k miles. Comes with a 90 day warranty.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can never get myself to trust the mileage on used engines, it's just numbers tossed around. But if you get a working engine for $2150, I guess that's a pretty good deal

7. harrysprius

harrysprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I used a "head gasket repair" liquid before, and it actually worked ok. I would say the car lasted another year and half. Did it again and got another year out of it. I'm sure it was horrible for the engine, but I was at a point in life where the car running was all that mattered. If your going to eventually replace the engine anyway, I'd give it a shot. What have you got to loose? If you keep driving it like it is, your going to kill the engine anyway.

Has anyone on here done their own head gasket?

anonymous likes this.
  8. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'd be willing to try and assist if you want to try and do the head gasket. I'm only a couple hours away from you. I probably have all the necessary tools.

Zeppo Shanski likes this.
  9. AubreyIII

AubreyIII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you recall the product you used? Did you just pour it in the overflow tank or did you disconnect the radiator hose to get it in there?

10. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It was "metallic block seal". You had to start with a completely cold engine, add product, and then run till the engine was fully heated up. Then you drained the engine and let it sit overnight to "dry". Put coolant back in and away you go. I think I dropped the upper radiator hose to get coolant level down far enough to add the product, and it went in through the same hose, it was a radiator that didn't have a cap. I didn't want to put it into the plastic tank.

11. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My mechanic would put it in for $400 including fluids! But I'm in Michigan.

(My brother actually lives in Montgomery by the way!)

apezam1 likes this.
  12. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If a mechanic would charge $400, we should be able to do it in an afternoon.

13. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius has regular gasoline engine and normal head and head gasket. It's definitely a DIY project for several hours, weekend at most. Two are the dangerous things that can be messed up (I've changed a few head gaskets, two on my own cars and several on friends' cars) - adjusting the timing and tightening the head. Usually there are timing kits available, which contains a metal plate to lock the camshafts and a few bolts or bits to lock tensioners and crankshaft. But instead of buying, everything can be made from scrap parts. The tightening must be done in strict order to prevent the head from cracking and to press the gasket well. Usually the pattern is like X (top left -> bottom right, etc), but this must be checked for every engine. Also the tightening force also is very important, usually there are 3 steps for tightening - usually first two is tight by force (Nm or ft/lb) and the last one is by degrees.

The head and the block will be good to be measured for bending and if there is even a slight curve, their surfaces must be grinded. New head bolts is a good practice, but I never used new ones :D

I would definitely do a head gasket change if the engine is fine. A head gasket as a replacement part would be around $50 I suppose.

14. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sound like you know your way around a wrench. I've done a few, as well as timing chains and belts. I was worried the first time I did a dual DOHC engine, but it really wasn't a big deal. Most of the time at the shop we worked at we just zip tied the gears together. Seemed to work.....although I'm sure someone will chime in and tell me how stupid that was.

15. 4md

4md Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And here is another "trick" to do it - mark the belt/chain and the shafts and then place the belt/chain back to the marks on the sprockets. The marks from the old belt or chain can be copied to a new one (if the old one needs replacing) and this way this trick can be used to replace the timing kit. This won't work only if the engine has internal balancing shafts, connected to the crankshaft with other belt, chain or gears. For example, such engine is the old 2.4L Mitsubishi.

16. Virg

Virg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This has nothing to do with a Prius, but I blew a head gasket on my 64 Dodge Dart while stationed in Germany in the late 60's. Head gaskets were hard to get for American cars so I poured in a can of gasket fix into the radiator and let the engine warm up and circulate it. After a few minutes the engine stopped leaking water into the oil. I ordered a new gasket and installed it about a month later. When I pulled the heads, the leak was on the right bank of the V8. The product where the leak was looked amazingly like the original gasket and looked like it would have worked for a long time. Of course I installed the new gasket and sold the car when I shipped out back to the states. Other than the blown gasket, it was a great car.

17. AubreyIII

AubreyIII Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thought I would close this out with how I resolved the problem. I bought an engine with 18,000 miles on it for $1,500, and paid $650 to remove and install. I also paid $85 to clean my intake manifold and EGR pipe. Running like a top now!

Lukey51, vlxerdon, Danny3xd and 4 others like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well done, great labor price!(y)

19. harrysprius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Glad you're back on the road!

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota's timing chains have brightly-colored links built right into them at the right places, to match marks ground into the sprockets. Nice touch, that.

-Chap