1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blown head gasket/EGR revisited

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by johnnychimpo, Oct 5, 2021.

1. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have questions as to how to get the most out of my upgraded engine.
    so connect the EGR or not wondering what caused the failure in my gen 3 engine 1.EGR 2.desighn manufacturing and materials. or was the egr just too small as the gen 4 is basicly same engine with bigger EGR.

1.So in the Gen two there was not EGR and no blown head gaskets at less than 200k
    So is this good manufacturing/good materials or both? On top of this the car got hot cold due to hybrid system as normal without the EGR to cool it as the explanation goes.

2.The EGR on the Gen 3 is it too small as the Gen 4 is bigger possible causing the head gasket to fail due to smaller size and as far as I know none or very few blown head gasket on gen 4?
    Further more the exhaust passes through the cat then goes to the egr.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Be careful comparing Gen 3 and Gen 4 EGR systems. Gen 4 uses "catalyzed EGR", which is a different approach that was being worked out in engineering research between the days of Gen 3 and the days of Gen 4, and no, it wasn't just Frank on a bathroom break saying :"hey, what if we took the gas from after the catalyst?" Tapping from downstream of the cat changes what chemical compounds are in it, which changes the reactions that happen in the cylinder.

On top of that, the catalytic converter has a pressure drop across it. The downstream tap has a lower pressure, which means all of the EGR plumbing had to be upsized just to flow the same volume of gas. That's why it looks bigger.

burrito likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    To paraphrase Shakespeare:

Is the 4th gen EGR much less prone to carbon clogging? That is the question.

My money's on yes.

Any 4th gen'rs had a look, and at what miles? That's another question of interest.

And any 4th gen's blowing head gasket yet? Another good question.

IIRC @Raytheeagle's had a look at his EGR, but he's got a Prime, with fairly high EV usage.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Most gen3s and especially 2010s burned too much oil. That ends up as carbon and blowby throughout the engine. The gen4 engine has almost everything related to the cylinder reengineered including water jacket changes and a foam insulator. Many of the changes reduce knocking which creates excessive pressure in the cylinder. You have the new block which may pay cylinder cooling dividends in the future. If you can make the gen3 intake and egr work properly.

97F51FE9-89EC-4821-8EB0-5674698B42DA.jpeg

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think oil burning is the culprit, at least not a significant factor. Our (2010) had significant carbon build-up in the EGR, at 71K kms, and zero discernable oil consumption.

Same story still, no oil consumption. Last oil and filter change was at 90K kms (almost exactly), and currently at 92300~. Put in 4.2 liters (4.5 US qts), and oil was about 3~4 mm below top mark. Just checked:

6BAEC217-7D85-477E-B28C-ECEA9DEBDEFC.jpeg

pic to come

#5 Mendel Leisk, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  6. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    OK so lets say it gets clogged so what, would that be the same as running with out the EGR plugged in basicly you exhaust is getting into the intake right?

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    But no head gasket fails. My car did not burn oil until 150,000 miles with above average maintenance.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You mean no head gasket fails without engine oil consumption?

I think the engineers are counting on the EGR gasses getting to the combustion chamber, both to reduce emissions and to moderate temps. If you have a mission-critical component bunged up with carbon, that can’t be good.

9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    No look at the egr, as it'll be more difficult to extract:cool:.

And my EV percentage is on the rise since switching employers now that I am in battery range for work and they have ChargePoint stations there:).

Current "tank" is showing 1800 miles and over 380 mpg;) with 1/2 tank left;).

When I get to 120 k miles and the spark plugs are due, I'll investigate and report back, but know the HV percentage at 120k miles may be only 20%:whistle:.

But it'll be a data point(y).

#9 Raytheeagle, Oct 5, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    SFO, dig4dirt and mjoo like this.