1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blown Head gasket rebuild....@297k

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 8, 2017.

1. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got the car
    Heres what was done
    Replaced head gasket
    Replaced water pump gasket.
    Fipg oil pan.
    Replaced super long life coolant.

Thats all for parts. Total repairs just less than 2k , warranty covered.
    None of what we are discussing here was done. Bolts manifiolds egr etc.....
    Some other stuff bout car at dealer .
    Rental car was only free for first 5 days. Had to talk to a great service manager who wiped off the charge
    Let me know if any interest

#201 amos, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    danlatu and RMB like this.
  2. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am still using the original water pump, timing chain, and hv battery, LOL. I really like the design of the prius' water pump. Motor turns a magnet/impeller with no bearing or gasket to fail. I paid 2k$ for mine as well. Nada value is over 7K$ + with the 301k miles i have on it. I would clean the intake manifold, entire egr system and install an oil catch can. As long as these areas are clean, the engine runs silky smooth. I think a lot of head gasket issues are from oil being thrown into the motor via pcv valve, creating compression knock. A clogged up egr can cause stalling, idling and knocking issues. Knocking is what causes high compression pings. It is like having a hammer smashing on the head gasket. These hard knocks eat at the coating on the head gasket causing coolant to leak into the motor.
    Water pump failure would cause overheating. Overheating will warp block/head, causing the head gasket to blow. I checked my head/block/pistons and found no signs of heat damage/warped heads. Aluminum is soft and would show water pump failure due to heat damage.

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 4.25.08 PM.png

MikeFixes, iskoos, Montgomery and 4 others like this.
  3. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is the car running fantastic? Keep the receipt, I am assuming that the warranty for 100k mile. If anything goes wrong, call a automotive lawyer. Lemon law. Head bolts are suppose to be replaced, they stretch unless they are ARP head studs. I would not worry about it until you car starts acting wonky.

amos likes this.
  4. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree with all your other points, Dan. However, doesn't the ECU shut the engine off when the coolant temp exceeds 212 degrees F? I've read stories of this but haven't witnessed this yet. Wouldn't the engine shut-off prevent catastrophic damage to the engine?

Pixel XL ?

amos and danlatu like this.
  5. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have no idea, if it does shut down, more points for us and toyota. I have had other cars over heat and without warning, cel pops up with major internal damage. Like my old Heep, I meant Jeep.

mjoo likes this.
  6. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Manual states:

"When the coolant temperature reaches105°C (221°F), the engine is stopped and the hybrid system is
    solely used to driving vehicle"

If this is always the case, from an engineer's perspective, it seems the only way for the engine to overheat and warp the block/head is if:
    1. EGR circuit is plugged or is inoperable.
    2. Engine is running excessively lean.

I don't know how bad #2 would affect the engine. However, for #1 I've done some rough estimates of combustion temperatures without EGR in the thread EGR blanking plate. There was approximately a maximum 800*F (428*C) difference in the combustion chamber comparing 100% EGR flow vs.no EGR flow. From what others have posted on PC, EGR is always used - even at full throttle. Because the Prius uses EGR all the time, having a plugged EGR cooler would contribute a huge increase in engine temperatures.

My calculations assume that air densities of the intake air and EGR are roughly the same. IMHO there's some mixing between the two air streams to make them the same temperature.

This huge change in combustion temperatures could be measured from the temperature of the exhaust manifold. From the internet, some Diesel owners that implemented an EGR block have seen exhaust manifold temps 600*F higher. But, Diesel engines can run up to 50% EGR. The Gen 3 Prius runs up to 21% EGR.

When I have the time this information will become it's own thread.

#206 mjoo, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Robert Holt and danlatu like this.
  7. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would love to see that thread! EGR delete? I know diesel guys do this and have block off plates and software. Not sure what the Prius' mpg/benefit would be, would love to see that data. I know it would not be emissions legal. <- just had to throw that in there.
    I wish all car manufacturers had a safety for when cars overheat. I had a plastic impeller fail on water pump, motor had 10k on rebuild and engine temp hit 250 in a flash. Valves started tapping before the cel went off. It was a brand new water pump to boot. My guess was some had dropped the box and had a stress fracture or was a manufacturer's defect. Win some you loose some.

amos likes this.
  8. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's just a guy. Not a shop per say. I went on craigslist looking for a used engine to replace the one with the blown head. I messaged the guy and thats the price he gave me. Told me he had a prius mechanic and I drooped the car off, after towing it for more than 200 miles. I should note that i am paying for all fluids and a AC recharge. So total more like 1600-1700. The guy is palmdale and I towed the car with my dad's truck. I'll pass more info when I get the car later this week.

9. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So you think head gasket issues are caused by the problematic Egr design? Kinda makes you miss the rubber bladder tank of the gen2. Seems like annual maintenance of the Egr system is going to be required to avoid a costly engine repair. Although, Toyota has been having lots of issues with gaskets on their other models. At least the oil consumption issue have been fixed on 2012+ Models.[/QUOTE]

amos and mjoo like this.
  10. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd guess if you take the EGR pipe off from EGR to intake manifold and it has a 25% restriction then I'd call that turkey done. That's anywhere from 60k to 150k miles depending on how many cold starts and city driving you've done.

Deposits in the cooler are more than that pipe because the oily sooty cloud condenses there.

Pixel XL ?

amos likes this.
  11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    His name is not Sean right?

Man, it takes a lot of trust to hand over $1600 to someone. Do you get your old parts (core) back? Or he rebuilds it and sells it on again?

The new norm for the turd gen will be engine swaps......the gen2 had battery swaps

sfv41901 likes this.
  12. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I only paid 200 dollars and gave him the car. I do not get my core back. I live in a condo so not of much use to me and yes he is going to sell the tranny. He may decide to rebuild the engine, but who knows. The car had a blown head. So. Im pretty sure I will notice right away if it was not done right and I have a 2013 to compare to. The third gen pack also requires a rebuild around 200k.

#212 Jose Reyes, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    amos likes this.
  13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $200 labor. Something about this is fishy

14. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Im getting the car on Saturday. Will keep you guys updated.

amos, JC91006 and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So here is a short update after blown gasket replaced by dealer.
    Car runs fine.
    First 300 city miles i avraged 45 mpg.
    First 300 fwy miles i averaged 52 mpg.
    Temperature outside was about 105-110 ( vegas). A/c always on.
    Car dont burn oil or consimes coolant.
    And again
    Only part replaced was the head gasket. No cleaning of egr manifolds or anything. They did the basic.

Data Daedalus likes this.
  16. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Got the car back and saw the old lump. Nothing to report. The car runs fine with no issues and feels like my 2013 with 40,000 miles. Drove through the mountains (to avoid the fire and traffic) from Palmdale via the 210 and 605. Did allot of engine breaking and pushed the car up the mountain. They also charged and balanced the pack. The labor was very reasonable. Although. I strongly suggest you bring your own engine or tranny with parts for the best price. Gas consumption was crappy though.

#216 Jose Reyes, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Data Daedalus and amos like this.
  17. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whats your city gas milage. Mine is actually worse rhan before the valve gasket replaced. I thought its ok but actually its about 35mpg in city. Although it became better than before on freeway. Im getting now over 50mpg fwy at a speed of 70-75.
    The dealer changed gasket kit or p/n 004112-37253. I have no idea whats in that kit

18. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Same about 35 Mpg. That said in my 2013 I average 42 mpg at those same speeds with no elevation changes. But, I drove at 80 Mph in the freeway and went over a 4000ft pass. Although, I did notice this wired chirping noise and poping noise under low rpms during acceleration. I suspect that a engine mount or loose exhaust manifold. Any ideas?

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I knew poping involved white smoke, didn't know there was a special noise too.

-Chap

20. Jose Reyes

Jose Reyes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    White smoke?

amos likes this.