1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blown Head gasket rebuild....@297k

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 8, 2017.

1. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cylinder #1 in most cases is closest to the pulley. As look at the motor standing in front of the bumper, far left is cylinder #1 by the pulley.

Jesus82 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, I thought I was kidding, but they're actually serious. WT_?

oiltiming.png

-Chap

JDZILL and amos like this.
  3. Jesus82

Jesus82 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey chapmanf,
    I really believe that the timen mark on the oil pump is only for reference to get the correct point to TDC mark, but don't quote me on this, probably danlatu knows this better,
    And I Know I Will use those Mark's whenever I put my engine back together hopefully this weekend

4. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I aligned it per manual as shown, you can also see it in the pics from my rebuild. The timing chain was a little vague due to the multiple hash marks on the cam spockets. I like the honda timing markings better.

Jesus82 likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And still, is there anybody with an idea why an oil pump needs to be timed?

-Chap

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's in lock-step with the camshaft chain. Not sure what that proves.

7. Jesus82

Jesus82 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Almost done cleaning, so far cleaning is being the more time consuming task
    However once I get all done,
    assembly of the engine should go very fast,
    I got all my parts in, new rings, pcv valve, head gaskets and water pump gasket, crankshaft seal (front & rear) new sparkplugs

Attached Files:

JDZILL, Aaron Vitolins, amos and 6 others like this.
  8. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How much coolant/driven miles are you loosing. When i blew off the gasket it was about 1qt/100 miles.

9. Jesus82

Jesus82 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey amos,
    Ot started very slow and end up about 1qt per 200 mikes approximately

10. JDZILL

JDZILL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello everyone, just had to join in all the fun here, I just finished a 1.8 head gasket job on a 2011 Prius, lots of info to tell here, but your answer to the oil pump being timed.The rods do not oil the piston skirts with a tiny hole on there side as on most engines, so the oil pump must be in sync with the crankshaft so the pump will squirt oil through the oil tubes to lube pistons and wrist pins.

The Critic, m.wynn, Jesus82 and 5 others like this.
  11. JDZILL

JDZILL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hunted web sites for hours looking for info on the 3rd gen 1.8, here is some very important info if your going to do a freshen up, or head gasket job yourself.... Head bolt tool, to remove head bolts, you will need a 10 mm double hex 1/2 drive tool from Snap-on, Matco, or OTC, you will not find it anywhere in the parts stores. What they do have is a 12 mm triple square tool fits loose in bolt that may remove head bolt, or may strip out end of bolt causing you to use other means to remove it. Now if you ordered new head bolts that are made in Spain, like Beck and Arnley, you will now need a 12 mm triple square bit to install them, double hex won't fit the bolt at all, no that info was not shared anywhere when i ordered bolt set, if you ordered made in japan bolts, 10 mm double hex socket works. The 1st, 2nd gen Prius uses 8 mm double square sockets, and made in Spain bolts you will need a 10 mm triple square socket.

schmuber and danlatu like this.
  12. JDZILL

JDZILL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Everyone's favorite job, cleaning out the EGR cooler, what worked well for me is a soak in super clean full power for an hour, gets most of crud out, then spray bolt loosening spray, it clings to the fins and melts the carbon, use a med paper clip straightened and poke each gap hole both ends, finish with brake cleaner.

RMB likes this.
  13. JDZILL

JDZILL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks to member Danlatu, a great job on your 1.8 motor, mine to had number one piston just not up to par with the others, at least its the only one you can get to with just the pan and oil pump removed. To seal up timing chain case, pan, and head cradle, I used Yamabond 4 stuff works great. Head gasket went on as is, no copper spray.

14. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Did the cylinders have any ridge?

15. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not remember where the hell I got the socket for my head bolts, advanced auto, pep boys? I have a drawer full of one time job specific tools. I feel like Eastwood in Gran Turino. I'll wake up one day with a garage full of tools unable to get the car to fit inside.

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 12.27.16 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 12.51.51 AM.png

pilotgrrl, m.wynn and Jayw13702 like this.
  16. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Anybody know how much the output of a trochoid gear pump varies over the course of a rotation?

I've been assuming not much....

-Chap

17. JDZILL

JDZILL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is a 12 mm triple square socket, you got lucky on removal, what head bolts did you buy?

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can anyone post pictures (and/or links) of these?

KarlW likes this.
  19. JDZILL

JDZILL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is a matco CXY10M2 double hex 10 mm, and a snap-on SADM10E

Attached Files:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. JDZILL

JDZILL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Double hex

[​IMG]

Double hex is a screw drive with a socket shaped as two coaxial offset hex recesses; it can be driven by standard hex key tools. The shape resembles triple square and spline screw drives, but they are incompatible.

The radial "height" of each arris is reduced, compared to a six-point, although their number is doubled. They are potentially capable of allowing more torque than a six-point, but greater demands are placed on the metallurgy of the heads and the tools used, to avoid rounding off and slippage.

Triple-square

[​IMG]

The triple-square, also known as XZN, is a type of screw drive with 12 equally spaced protrusions, each ending in a 90° internal angle. Common sizes are 6, 8, 10, and 12 mm. The name derives from overlaying three equal squares to form such a pattern with 12 right-angled protrusions (a 12-pointed star). In other words, three Robertson squares are superimposed at a successive 30° rotation. The design is similar to that of the double-square—in both cases, the idea being that it resembles a square (Robertson) but can be engaged at more frequent angles by the driver bit. These screws can be driven with standard Robertson bits.

The 12-pointed internal star shape superficially resembles the "double hex" fastener head, but differs subtly in that the points are shaped to an internal angle of 90º (derived from a square), rather than the 120º internal angle of a hexagon. In practice, drivers for the fasteners may or may not interchange, but should be examined carefully for proper fit before application of force. A hex key should not be used where a key of square cross-section is the correct fit.

Triple-square drive fasteners have been used in high-torque applications, such as cylinder head bolts and drive train components. The fasteners involved have heads that are hardened and tempered to withstand the driving torque without destroying the star points. They are commonly found on German vehicles such as Audi, BMW, Opel, Mercedes, Porsche and Volkswagen.

m.wynn and Mendel Leisk like this.