1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blown Head gasket rebuild....@297k

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 8, 2017.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's simple enough. Just like any motor, more or less.
    So why are people saying replace the motor when the head gasket is blown????
    If it's not warped beyond repair, why not replace it?
    It would be easier than replacing the motor, and less costly. I would imagine you could remove the pistons
    and clean the rings, hone the cylinders maybe. Then you should be good for a few thousand miles as long
    as you clean the EGR system and manifold...

#401 ASRDogman, Jun 26, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    JDZILL likes this.
  2. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I guess it depends on how many miles are on your engine, replacing head gaskets is a lot of work. Machine shop fees, hunting down parts, do you have the correct parts/tools, time consuming to tear engine apart, knowledge, done incorrectly results in pulling it apart again, etc. Buying a used motor is risky, even with a warranty/mileage? A used motor could have a blown head gasket, cracked head, spun bearings, burning oil etc. Then you have the joy of pulling the motor back out and claiming a warranty to get another motor.
    Reading the toyota prius manual pdf is horrible, nothing is in order. Rebuilding a motor or changing a head gasket is not for everybody. Neither is fixing the hv battery, ac system or re-gearing a solid rear axle.

I wish I never saw this on youtube. I really want to buy a tesla motor and some lg chem batteries to build my own electric commuter/race car.

Tesla Model S Drive Unit - Complete - Ready to Run, EV West - Electric Vehicle Parts, Components, EVSE Charging Stations, Electric Car Conversion Kits

Mendel Leisk, sfv41901 and JDZILL like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That'd be the "toyota prius manual pdf" that is bouncing around on the interwebs because some people did a whole lot of "print to file" from techinfo and glommed the print files together in no semblance of order and none of the links work.

If you're doing something where your time feels like money, the $15 to go view it on techinfo with the links working and the ruddy sections in order might not feel like too much expense. :)

-Chap

JDZILL likes this.
  4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was talking about those who were capable of replacing a head gasket.
    Depending on the mechanical ability, doing the head gasket or replacing the motor is about the same.
    And the risk of a installing a bad motor is not worth it to me. Unless you are going to take the head off
    and replace the gasket and check the head to see if it's damaged. And you might as well replace the valve
    guide seals while you are at it. Unless you trust the place you bought it from and they said it's a very low
    mileage engine.
    And I would check the timing chain, and pull the oil pan and replace the gasket and see what the bottom of the
    pan looks like. I would also replace the rear and front main seals.
    And from the photos I've seen on here, only the gasket blows out. No one has mentioned the head being warp,
    at least not that I've seen.
    Since I KNOW the condition of my engine, I wouldn't really need to do all that stuff.
    But if you are just doing a swap without doing anything to it, it would be faster.
    Unless the engine is bad....
    But of course you someone can't do it themselves, then they have to have someone else do it.

mjoo, JDZILL and danlatu like this.
  5. xerox6135

xerox6135 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  6. DThrill

DThrill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same thing happened to my 2010 Prius.
    My engine started having hard starts in AM. Shop and CODES told me it was the "Engine starter coils" so I had those replaced and oil changed. It was still hard to start engine sound that would go away once engine warmed up. I noticed a slight drop in antifreeze and I did not think anything of it. I replaced the fluid.

2 weeks later, *boom* Overheat warning light came ON...
    Antifreeze chamber was empty. No outside leaks.

Antifreeze dumped into chamber #1. Had to get #1 Head rebuilt. :(

7. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Loss of coolant is the first sign. A lot of mechanics misdiagnose the problems by throwing parts at it. How many miles does your motor have when you blew your head gasket?

8. DThrill

DThrill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    142,992K miles

Mendel Leisk and danlatu like this.
  9. Arben

Arben New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III

Same happened to me just this week. Not cheap to fix from what I've been reading here. I live in Belgium and found only one engine on sale in my area. Note sure if that one fits my Prius since the engine code do not match completely. Mine engine reads 2ZR W20N the one for sale is a 2ZR W22U engine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are having engine knock @start-up without coolant loss, clean all the oil/water/fuel out of your intake manifold and install an oil catch can. These symptoms usually pop up in the cold seasons when there is a lot of condensation in the crankcase. It will prevent a blown head gasket. I would also recommend cleaning out your egr system (egr cooler, egr and intake plenum @100k.

Mendel Leisk and scona like this.
  11. Arben

Arben New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes i will install an oil catch can and do what you are recommending on my younger Prius Plus (i believe its called Prius V in the US) that one has 70k km. I don't want to risk engine swap on that one too!

But for the 2012 Prius: no hope, the engine is losing 1 Liter coolant an hour (i was curious and let the engine run in maintenance mode for 1 hour, yes... the engine was shaking and knocking like crazy) when i told a friend (car technician) about that finding, he said i should't start that engine again with that much coolant flowing in it.

So... I plan to swap engine om the 2012 Prius as soon i am sure the engine i found on sale ( 2ZR W22U ) will fit in the Prius since the engine in it is an 2ZR W20N engine, you think it will fit?

12. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure. 2zr fxe is what we use here in the US, your 2zr w20n looks like the same engine. I would be very careful in what you buy. The long block might be the same but all the sensors and placement of these parts could be different with different engine codes. There are a lot of different versions of these engines in different countries. Do you have ebay? Then do a local pick-up.

13. Gus Linke

Gus Linke New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My head gasket is done as well. Does everyone remove the exhaust manifold from the head when removing the engine or leave it attached.

I was planning in trying to remove it.

Thanks

14. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can do either. I removed the studs on the head and kept the header attached to the downpipe.

Tbkilb01 likes this.
  15. bacire

bacire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

16. bacire

bacire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the details on the head gasket change. My 2010 Prius just started with P300 misfire on cylinder 1. The dealer already replaced the fuel injectors and the ignition coil. (spark plugs, etc were replaced previously along with the EGR valve). The dealership told me that I should consider trading the car in since they saw coolant in cylinder 1 /or/ replace the head gasket but the cost of each job would be about the same $4600. They also told me that the EGR valve did not cause the issue since. I am not experienced with repairing vehicles and have to believe what they say. Do you agree or do you think I should just find a certified shop to do the head gasket? Also, is anything going to happen to the new EGR valve they just replaced if I run the car for a while before replacing the gasket?

17. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has your car ever experienced any knocking during start-up prior to head gasket issues? How many miles on your prius? How many miles since the egr was installed? A lot of times people will bring their prii into the dealer for a code/problem while the dealer throws parts at it and it ends up being the head gasket the whole time. The new egr will be fine if you continue to drive the car. The labor on this car is what costs so much on the head gasket, I really hate the design of the timing chain cover. I myself am looking for a 2016+ prius two eco 58/53 and I know members here are getting over 60mpg.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  18. CharlesPrius

CharlesPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats, I paid $1500 to have this done recently on my 2010, 170k. Luckily no bent rods or anything, just needed a new HG. Definitely would've tried this if I had a driveway, alas I live in L.A.

19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is it probably best to pull the engine for a head gasket replacement. Has to be easier for the aforementioned timing chain cover removal/install.

20. bacire

bacire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looking to see if the Prius repairman will investigate if all that is needed is a new HG and/or cylinder repair vs replacing the entire engine. I will keep an eye on the oil to see if it is actually running low. I have been getting it changed at the dealership and they have not informed me that oil was burning/leaking. I know there is a slight weeping of oil near the HG (I believe). The dealership showed me and a maintenance tech that works for Toyots said that it was common (not to worry unless is gets worse).