1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blown Head gasket rebuild....@297k

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 8, 2017.

1. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's scary when you're working on pulling an engine. Are you parked on a dirt road? stands might not be the safest - try cinder blocks?

Pixel XL ?

2. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMG_4677.jpg

Are you referring to the “L-shaped” plastic harness that is off to the right of the engine?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it's an asphalt driveway, although on a slight incline. But the car is positioned "butt up" on that incline, not sideways… I've done this many times before, and it always was very stable. No idea how that happened today.

That whole thing came off with the bolt. I'm referring to the very last connector on a said harness, which is plugged somewhere below water pump, if I remember correctly.

4. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The a/c compressor connector? That one is a little tricky, but it is very similar to your typical connector. The tab is just very small.

5. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Take a picture of the connector in question. There are a few in that area, but the a/c compressor one comes to mind.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, looks like an AC compressor. How the hell do I unplug that thing?

7. The Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like it (I was only able to see it in an inspection mirror, since it's hidden under that L-shaped… whatshouldicallit, strain relief?)

If I understand correctly, the tab that needs to be pushed in is not on a part you referenced but on its counterpart, and is located where that little "window" is on a 3rd photo, did I get it right?

9. spiralhelix

spiralhelix Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    not that it will help you now per-se, but in the future...

I did the calculations to figure out where a 4’ 2x8 needs to mount on my ramp to clear the bumper of the CT. Turns out the board should mount on the ramp where it will be 8” from the floor. I know this is a truck, but I wanted to see if it could hold my truck wt, it can. This also makes it easier to keep the ramps from pushing forward.

IMG_2231.jpg

Sorry to hear it fell. Happened to me when changing the wheel bearing. Scary stuff. I ended up getting a lift. Yes it was pricy, but man I love it.

-Spiral

10. spiralhelix

spiralhelix Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you still need help with that connector, I can take some close up pics of the engine in my garage in the morning.

-Spiral

11. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can highlight a disconnect tab on a photo, that would be fantastic. As for the ramps… mine are RhinoRamps; not as steep as yours, but still too steep for a Prius. I use thick plywood as a "pre-ramp" when I change oil, not far from your idea. But since at least one of the wheels have to come off for this project, I had to jack it up. Now it's supported on one side by wheel-on-a-ramp, jack stand and a scissor jack (latter taking maybe 5% of the load), while the other side is the same (yes, I have a few scissor jacks), but for the next stage I'll remove the wheel and put a ramp on its side under the frame… just to tame my newfound paranoia a bit.

By the way, the guy in a video says to support the engine or let it drop to the frame, but never bothers to tell how to raise it back… which means that I'll probably use yet another scissor jack to support it. What's the best jacking point? It seems that the engine's CG is occupied by the oil pan…

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For the 12 volt connector to the AC pump I found a narrow flat-blade screwdriver was slightly too thick to slip in and help to release the locking tab. And you really DO need to pry: pressing on the official point is near useless.

What I found worked was a pen knife blade, inserted into gap just barely above the base off the connector, then a little outward pry. When you get it right it's absurdly easy to release.

Merkey and schmuber like this.
  13. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll print it as a sticker and put on my toolbox next to "Everything is figureoutable"

The Critic and Mendel Leisk like this.
  14. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Day 2 (the weather is not cooperating at all!). Spent almost all day messing with the EGR cooler, it was much more difficult to remove than I thought based on videos. Studs in the back were extremely corroded and stuck for good; liquid wrench was not really helping… Had to apply so much force to remove them, it felt like I was stripping the threads. Nope, just a whole lot of corrosion.

Up close the cooler didn't look that bad – yes, there was some carbon, but not as bad as some coolers I've seen here… but then I poured some water in it. I'd say a 3" stack of coffee filters would've been less restrictive. Yeesh!

15. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I remember one guy here after doing his cooler said he thought it would be easier to leave those rear studs and instead remove both of the side ones. Is that even a feasible option? If so it would help for cases like this. (But otherwise that bottom stud is invisible and wouldn't be much fun to deal with.)

16. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is, but you'll need some exotic tool to remove one in a back. Something like a flex shaft screwdriver with E8 bit… a screwdriver that could deliver full torque while bent. There's no way to accomplish this task with ratchets (including flex), I've wasted 2 hours trying.

(well, technically you could move the inverter out of the way…)

The one that connects to exhaust manifold? I had to use a pretty long handled ratchet to remove it, just barely wiggling it back and forth due to lack of space. Why long handled? Because I had to apply so much force it felt like either I gonna strip the threads or snap the stud. It was literally screaming with every move, despite being soaked in liquid wrench overnight.

PS: The gasket between exhaust manifold and EGR cooler was definitely leaking, despite the fact that gasket itself shows no signs of corrosion. Perhaps they undertorqued this junction at the factory? Won't be the first Toyota blunder with this particular car…

#576 schmuber, Jul 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  17. mikey_t

mikey_t Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How could you tell it was leaking?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  18. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Manifold side flange on a cooler has a radial corrosion pattern. Fortunately not very deep… still, will be using a composite gasket on it, maybe copper spray too.

mikey_t likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  20. schmuber

schmuber Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure.

Luckily you caught it before wire brush.