1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blown Head gasket rebuild....@297k

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 8, 2017.

1. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    oh EGR gaskets wasnt $2 for sure, i only got 2 out of 3 and already paid $15 for 2 and the 3rd one will be i believe another $14 for me at toyota dealership which doesnt make sense these r very small metal parts which shouldnt cost that much, but oh well stealerships

2. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't have the paper with me here, but when I get back home I will try to remember to check
    the prices I paid. They were less than $5 each I believe....
    Either way, not worth the extra work! :)

Umar Ali likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Some links, in order of EGR, Intake Manifold, and Throttle Body. Not too bad. The EGR's fairly cheap. Even the main intake manifold gasket is under $10 CDN for me:

Buy genuine exhaust gas recirculation system for Toyota Prius 3 generation 01.2009 - 11.2011 from Japan - Amayama
    Buy genuine manifold for Toyota Prius 3 generation 01.2009 - 11.2011 from Japan - Amayama
    Buy genuine fuel injection system for Toyota Prius 3 generation 01.2009 - 11.2011 from Japan - Amayama

There will be a $15~20 shipping charge on top, best to add everything you can think of to one order, and try to keep it from one country (Japan vs UAE, typically).

Umar Ali and Robert Holt like this.
  4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here's my price list....

Attached Files:

Umar Ali and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    wow those are pretty cheap, i ended up paying around $15 for 3.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've ordered from them 3~4 times now. A little slow, but very reliable. Also, nobody in the States will ship up here.

7. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    UPDATE POST FIX:
    i noticed couple of things after being done and been driving for couple of weeks.
    - there is absolutely no knock on cold start hot start immediate restart or any situation, temperature has been 97 degrees one day and close to 55 one day in texas and still zero knock on start. this is huge improvement and i believe it is due to first of all new head gasket and secondly by cleaning EGR cooler.
    - second major thing i noticed is increase in mpg, before head gasket i had been doing 36MPG mostly no matter how or where i drive, now MPG has been hovering around 42-44MPG with same driving habits and conditions.
    - another very major thing to notice is that before head gasket replacement and EGR cooler cleaning, my hybrid battery was throwing code to replace with showing hybrid batter deteriorated, and frequency was about every 100 to 200 miles no matter what temp is outside. after head gasket replacement, i have driven around 300 to 400 miles already and have not seen code yet and also the battery drain and recharge behavior has changed significantly as well. i will wait and see if i get code for battery again or not and will report back.
    - overall car has been running very smooth now and i can tell engine is breathing better and feels very smooth.

mikey_t, Mendel Leisk and ASRDogman like this.
  8. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you are a veteran, usually they will give you a 10% discount.
    But if you don't ask, they won't give it to you. It won't hurt to ask, nicely of course.
    From my experience, most parts will work with you, unless you are a butt head! :)

I'm glad your Prius is doing well!

Umar Ali likes this.
  9. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I i do serve veterans (work at VA) but not a veteran. i never asked stealership for any kind of discount if they offer, maybe next time i can ask it doesnt hurt asking.

10. HaYon Prius driver

HaYon Prius driver New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    20200418_124618.jpg 20200421_170534.jpg 20200421_170553.jpg 20200421_170604.jpg 20200421_170443.jpg
    Hey guys I realize this is an old thread but I'm going down this same road right now My issue started with the all to familiar rough start and then #1 cylinder misfire fault code. I did all the troubleshooting things like clean EGR and Intake, replace PVC valve, spark plugs, and coil pack. Fault light went away but the rough start came back. I scoped my cylinders and noticed a slight leak of coolant into cylinder #2. I have already removed my engine and disassembled everything. I had the head inspected and resurfaced and the cylinders deglazed. I have started cleaning everything and I'm in the process of measuring and inspecting before ordering parts. I have a few questions

1. Is there a good place to order quality parts for the engine other than Toyota? I'm looking at around $800 for all the parts I want to replace. Enginepartsonly website seems too good to be true and has some bad reviews. I’m not trying to throw my money away.

2. Should I replace the pistons with new pistons P/N 13101-37240 called out in the T-SB-0169-16 2ZR-FXE Engine Oil Consumption Repair? Is it the change in the pistons or the new oil ring that really fixed this oil consumption issue?

3. Are the Piston pins floating pins? I removed one of the pistons from the connecting rods the other day and the pin was pretty much floating. It looks like there are oil holes so I'll assume it should be floating but In the T-SB I mentioned above it says to heat up the piston and tap on the pin to remove it. Also in the first part of this thread the gentleman said he had to heat up the dowel pins and ended up damaging one when removing it. I assumed he was talking about the piston pins. If they aren't supposed to be floating this probably answers my question for #2 and I might as well order some new pistons.

Attached Files:

11. HaYon Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I tried to load a video of the floating piston pin but got an error I will try to load it from a different computer later

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try Amayama. Good prices on most things.They'll sell you a complete short block fwiw. Or parts.

In my experience with several small purchases, no sales tax or duty.

HaYon Prius driver likes this.
  13. HaYon Prius driver

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Guess I should have said I have a 2013 Prius 2. It looks like Amayama only has up to 2012. Atleast thats all I can find on my phone I will have to look when I get to a computer. I still can't upload that video...

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    HaYon Prius driver likes this.
  15. sadie72

sadie72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've seen new engines going for just over 1K.

16. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I’ve seen used running Gen IIs for just over $75

17. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    6/7 month update. Everything is going great so far.
    Yesterday i pulled down splash shield for oil change and there was oil on that shield foam it was kind of soaked in oil. The oil pan had oil on it on the bolts but i had not touched the oil pan gasket while repair so it wasnt leaking from there for sure. I looked from down up behind the engine where the timing chain tensioner is and the sensor below it since i have read those seals giving up and oil leaking from there but everything from above bottom of pan and the oil filter housing was bone dry. The oil filter housing had oil all over it as well. My hunch is that maybe the seal i made around oil filter housing is leaking and the oil was from there. The amount of oil i collected in pan from engine measured abt 4 qts or above so the leak isnt phenomenal or worrisome. I cleaned all the parts with engine degreaser and will check at next oil change to see where oil is leaking from. There has never been oil stains from leak where i park so that tells me the leak is very minor if there is any.

mikey_t likes this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What kind of oil filter, the usual, not spin-on? How was the gasket when you changed filter?

19. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should check it sooner than that. You can check it from the top.
    Maybe the oil pressure switch?

20. Umar Ali

Umar Ali Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    the regular cheap oil filter prius uses. it is stock filter housing if that is what you are asking about. no mods.

Mendel Leisk likes this.