1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blown Head gasket rebuild....@297k

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 8, 2017.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When I took my EGR pipe off last (within the last week) there was a fair amount of water droplets.

2. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was the motor warm or cold, it probably just condensation, coolant has a sweet smell. Do you believe your egr cooler has a coolant breach, if you do it will get thrown into your motor.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Cold engine, sat overnight. It didn't even cross my mind it might be coolant. Reservoir level is fine, looked/smelled like straight water.

4. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When the egr cooler fails in the ford diesel 6.0l v8, head gasket goes boom. When you have a hot engine cools down air/moisture will sweat/accumulate inside everything. Google oil catch can condensation. Where did all this water come from? It's like magic that wants to destroy your motor. Rust, it's that witch that wants to eat your metal bits. I wish I lived in a dryer climate.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree! I was a radio station engineer for nine years on a little island off the coast of Honduras. Job one was keeping thieves out. Job two was rust abatement. What the rust didn't get, the termites got. And then I could sometimes find a little time to do my real job. LOL!
    {edited for a typo}

#145 jerrymildred, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  6. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    UPDATE! I have driven the car 1,248 miles and the rings are fully broken in. I did an oil/filter change around 500 miles. Prius had burned out all the coolant in the exhaust system in about 40~50 miles. It had taken about 600 miles for the rings to seat, there is no visual blue smoke and no smell of oil burning while the engine is running. The car is running beautifully and have about 1,450 miles till the 300k club.

I rebuilt this motor for under 300$ @ rockauto. I replaced the bent piston rod, head gasket, head bolts, piston rings, exhaust gasket, valve seals, main seal, pulley seal, 1 dowel pin and 4 new denso spark plugs. I used 1 tube grey rtv, 1/8 can copper spray, lucas assembly lube, 150 grit sandpaper, lapping compound, motor oil, oil filter, coolant, purple power and carb cleaner. All the other parts in the motor were cleaned and reused. No machine shop fees or hidden costs. I decked the head and block myself. Labor by me = free!

A used motor would have cost 1000~1600$+ not knowing condition, accident, maintenance etc. For me, a used motor is a gamble. It was my intention to just replace the head gasket @ first glance until I found the bent rod. Seeing how some of these engine's are burning oil @ 80k miles, I realized I might as well replace the rings and rehone the cylinders. My reasons for not replacing all items during the rebuild is to see how far all these parts will hold up in time. This engine doesn't encounter any type of wear a normal motor encounters with similar miles. Toyota's hybrid system does a great job @ releaving the engine from stress with the aid of the electric motor.

I do understand some of the frustrations with the stealership prices. I was given a quote for 2500$ to replace the hybrid system on my 2005 prius. The community here on priuschat helped me fix my hybrid system for 30$ by replacing the 1 bad cell. The internet has helped me a lot through the years to do things I never thought was possible. I just wanted to show that it is possible for anyone to fix anything. I am learning many new things here and wanted to take the time to give back to the community.

#146 danlatu, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's fantastic!! I know what you mean about the internet being such a help. When I was the radio engineer at our station in Honduras, lots of folks would marvel that I could keep it on the air and fix everything that broke. They said I must be really smart. I said, "No, but I have some smart friends, and I Google well." I know a missionary surgeon in Bangladesh where they have hundreds of thousands of patients per doctor and he has to do all kinds of stuff he's never done before. When asked how he manages, he says, "You'd be surprised what you can learn on You Tube." :D

MikeFixes, Raytheeagle and danlatu like this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for fully documenting your project via photos and allowing the PriusChat community to benefit from your experience.

How many (hundreds) of hours did your project take? :eek:
    What did the drained oil look like after 500 miles?
    What fuel economy is the Prius logging now?
    Do you plan to measure engine cylinder compression?

9. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hope that CARB passes a regulation that electric car batteries must have serviceable batteries that allow replacement of individual bad cells and rebalancing of the battery packs. Replacement of the entire battery assembly is in incredibly wasteful.

10. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I cannot say how much time exactly, cleaning method and carbon/oil build up will vary. I lost track of time during the build due to having the head done one week and then having to pull the motor. I had burned so much time hunting down torque specs and measurements, manual from hell:mad::mad: I miss having a shop manual, gloves stay on and book gets dirty/oily. Taking gloves off navigating on a mac is the suck. 4~6 hours for assembly and torque of motor . 6 hours to install engine with fluids. I never used so much rtv in my life. I bought 2 tubes and ended up using one. Most motors need a 1/8~1/4 tube. Drained oil was dark like a 10k oci, engine was flogged hard. 58mpg @ 45mph avg, 50mpg @ 65-75mph avg so far. I probably get better mpg but I drive like a normal person, I go with the flow of traffic. Altitude, humidity, heat/cold, road conditions, wind etc affect these #'s of course. I still have lower engine cover missing. I need to buy another one because the oil access door is missing/torn off. oil compression test will come soon. I just hate/love taking off the cowl again.

They could. OBD was standardized by CARB and EU. Makes sense, protecting the consumer and saving the environment is what its all about. Unless your a chrysler/jeep lawyer.

MikeFixes and RMB like this.
  11. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius is fixed and now back to some serious business. Drone racing/freestyle practice, Fly/Crash/Fix/Repeat!
    Spoiler alert! Theres a prius in the flight footage.

12. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any updates? Have the rings set in yet?

danlatu likes this.
  13. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Everything has been uneventful. Car is running fine.

14. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Attached Files:

danlatu likes this.
  15. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I found these

Attached Files:

danlatu likes this.
  16. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should post that in the oil catch can thread. I believe it is a clean intake plenum that prevents the cold engine start-up knock.

Tbkilb01 likes this.
  17. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    IMG_5316.JPG IMG_5320.PNG IMG_5327.JPG IMG_5332.JPG
    I'm getting a random misfire at cold start up... thinking it's oil or coolant so decided to dig in. Had a lot of oil bottom of throttle body, in Intake, and Definitely getting oil onto valves. Got a ton of carbon build up Too.

danlatu and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    How many miles is this?

Tbkilb01 likes this.
  19. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  20. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Every Gen III Prius has oil in the throttle body. I'm not saying it's ok, but if you just clean out that oil it will come right back unless you install an oil catch can.