1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blown Head gasket rebuild....@297k

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by danlatu, May 8, 2017.

1. Swampy

Swampy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After some comments about the outrageous cost of head gasket replacements in other threads, I jumped on the website of a well known SF Prius lovin' garage and asked for the cost to replace the head gasket. I got a reply saying "if the head gasket has been leaking it is very possible the bottom end of the engine has sustained damage" and quoted $7208 plus tax.

I only paid $10k for the damned car. :LOL:

mjoo and danlatu like this.
  2. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    IMG_5520.JPG
    285k no oil burning but cold start rattle and I believe coolant dropped...I guess I best pull head?
    On another note,
    I had to say goodbye to an old friend today....I found that it would not "ready" system.. 9.84 volts!
    Gave me 8 good years is faithful service...just wouldn't hold its charge anymore. I can't blame it. Hope the replacement lives as long!

3. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess I'll check the coolant for gases...then if Gasket is leaking I'll just have to Danlatu it before damage occurs. I haven't been driving it lately anyway since battery conked out. I was kinda hoping it was oil from plennum causing it..wishful thinking :rolleyes::whistle::sneaky:

danlatu likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    "Danlatu it", I like that. (y)

^ @danlatu : you're now a verb. :)

#164 Mendel Leisk, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When your name becomes a verb, that's how you know you're special! :D

danlatu and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Tbkilb01

Tbkilb01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    IMG_5524.JPG
    Well after a quick drive around,coolant looks right?
    It was slightly below F mark (kinda lurking around seam) before drive. Now it's showing F? Maybe it settles? Never really noticed it before. I may just being paranoid after finding all the oil in plennum.
    It has yet to rattle after cleaning the oil out and EGR PIPE cleaning . I should pull EGR off and soak, brush, and clean it too!
    I do notice pressure still in system after cool off... normal?
    Bad cap?

danlatu likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When topped up ours (cold) IIRC both hissed when removing caps.

danlatu and Tbkilb01 like this.
  8. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A leak down test will show wether or not you have a blown head gasket. Air is pumped into the cylinder @ TDC, if air bubbles come out of the coolant reservoir then you are eating that coolant in the combustion chamber. Have you changed the coolant every 100K? Do the leak down test while the motor is warm. results will vary with cool and warm motor. There is a spring inside that cap that could go bad. Good luck.

Skyline drive, VA

IMG_0167.JPG IMG_0166.JPG

#168 danlatu, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  9. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

10. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello everyone.
    New member here.
    Owner of 2013 prius .just blew the head gasket. I guess im not the only one here :)
    Ok so my car is at the dealership for the second time now. First time took it to culver city toyota and was dismissed cause they couldnt find any issues. Had to drive to vegas and problem already escalated , started adding more coolent every 200 miles or so. Decided not to drive it anymore and left it at toyota dealership in vegas. I have a free loaner car now.car still have the powertrain warranty.mileage is less than 80k.
    Guys, im having an issue with the dealer. They are harrasting me and trying to intimidate me its im not easy cause they need to do a complete head job and trying their best to put the blame on accident related issues that void the warranty. I did have some cosmetic in the front bumper and replaced the left fender as a result of a very minor accident 6 months ago.
    I was told that if the adjustor will not approve the work, they will simply put all parts back together and give me the car back. I dont understand that. Head gasket is blown. Thats for sure.need help what are my technical options here. Will the car be the same if they will put it all back together or should i just pay them to replace the gasket? Or to do the full rehab. Stripping the engine to get to the gasket was a $2000 job that i didnt have to pay and also the loaner car is free. But i dont know what to do if they will put the blame on that minor cosmetic i did in the front.

danlatu likes this.
  11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If your car is salvaged, there's no warranty

amos likes this.
  12. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Car is not salvaged. Just had some minor repairs. Airbags still there all original.

13. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just wondered. How is it possible to put back the whole thing together. I think that by now the head gasket is gone kapoot.how can they put it back. Its definately not drivable after that.
    Is it possible just to change the gasket and put it all back together how will the car run???

Data Daedalus likes this.
  14. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great post.
    Just wanted to ask about any adjstment/alignments or whatever it took to get the timing/ timing chain fully synchronized. Or it might not be an issue ?

Data Daedalus likes this.
  15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There's no magic to getting the valve train synchronized. The timing chain is a chain, with links, running on sprockets, with teeth. It will either be in the right position or it won't; it won't be a little bit kinda close.

They make the sprockets with machined timing marks and the chain with special colored links in three locations to make it easy to put on in the right position. If you follow the published instructions it'll be fine.

Now, you should carefully notice the bits of the published instructions that talk about not spinning the crankshaft any time the chain is off, and not spinning the cams then either unless the crank is backed off 40° from TDC. That's how far it needs to be so the pistons can't interfere with the valves, so that's a way you could possibly mess up if you're careless.

-Chap

m.wynn, Mendel Leisk and amos like this.
  16. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey chap
    Seems like this head hasket issue is more common with gen3.
    Did some reading here and preparing myself for a dealers answer that warranty wo'nt cover the repair.
    So i should just ask them to change the gasket and gasket bolts when they put it back together. Any other recomendations for more essential/critcal items to be replaced or cleaned ? Like manifolds or egr? just before they reassemble it?

17. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Clean the entire pcv, egr system and intake manifold. If your prius was using that much coolant, replacing just the head gasket may not fix your problem. You could have a cracked head, block, bad water pump, bad injector, bent rod etc. Was your prius running 100% correctly before your vegas trip? Cold start knock, CEL? I would call an automotive lawyer for further advice.

amos likes this.
  18. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Car was not running well for at least two weeks prioor to my first visit to dealer .i had engine misfire 0300 0301 but it just went by itself. Mpg was as always average 50 mpg or a bit higher. Was trying to do the little things according to posts here like plugs coils injector cleaning but problem didnt fix .so eventually went to dealer. I think there will be a legal issue here cause im not going to pay. Thought small claims will do. Im planing to ask them to let me take photos in case they decide not to honor warranty.
    These guys at the dealership are not easy. Car is still in vegas and im still in vegas with the loaner.
    So thw parts you mentioned are the recomended for replacement? What about the valve bolts. You mentioned it at one of your posts.
    I read your posts and learned a lot. Really thankfull.
    I thought that everybtime you open the head than a complete valve job is needed.anyways u wrote those parts you mentioned and will ask them to do all that before they will put it all together. Any other recomendations?

19. amos

amos Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is when i had the misfire. Or in other words engine vibrations.
    1.if car is off for about 10 20 min it shake in P so i quickly moved to R or D. I guess a lower rpm was helping the engine calm. Now this is regardless if engine cold or hot.
    In addition to that , it was misfiring at the begining of a ride as the gas engine kicked in and so i had to be carefull not getting into traffic or when making left turn on red..
    Went to oreily twice to reset the check engine and got the printout of the 0300 0301.
    Later the check engine just just came on and off by itself for 2 more times.
    Culver city dealer told me that check engine light is because i need to replace the gas cap. Funny how stupit they think we are.

20. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do yourself a favor and buy an elm327 bluetooth obd2 reader. 5~20$ on eBay/amazon. In the app store you can get obd2 software, some are free and some are not. You can use your phone or tablet to read/clear codes and get realtime rpm, water temp, air temp and all the above. A knocking engine is not good. There may be coolant (blow gasket), oil (from pcv or rings) causing high and uneven compression in-between the cylinders. Cleaning everything will help diagnose the real problem. New head bolts are a must when installing a new head gasket. Lapping the valves and installing new valve seals are not necessary on 80k mile motor. I would just replace the head gasket, head bolts, spark plugs and be done with it. Make sure to check your motor oil every week and top it off. The dealer may not clean your parts and may just want to replace and could get really expensive. When you get home, watch the nuts and bolts prius videos on youtube. Clean the intake plenum, egr cooler, egr pipes, egr valve. I would also install an oil catch can. It will help keep your intake plenum clean, preventing knock. If I was in your shoes I would have left the car @ cerritos auto square toyota for them to fix and rented a car for vegas.
    Just be cautious, if a dealer is slow they may say you need a new motor, someone has to pay the rent. Breaking down with Cali plates in vegas does not help either. When did Orielly auto parts come to California? I thought they were midwest. I use to live in Temecula and have been all over socal. I would also call toyota customer care and complain about your problem, they may call the vegas toyota dealer and tell them to just fix it. If your car is @ the dealer for same problem (misfire) for more than 30 days, you may want to call a lemon law lawyer, threaten toyota with this. Toyota will have to buy the car back from you if you win the case. Hope some of this helps, sorry to hear your trouble.

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 8.53.48 PM.png

MikeFixes, iskoos and Tbkilb01 like this.