1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blown Transmission - No Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by RedboneCoondhound, Sep 26, 2012.

1. RedboneCoondhound

RedboneCoondhound New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Greetings Prius Chat members,

I purchased my 2007 Prius Touring Package 6 with 53K miles almost 4 years ago at Mall of Georgia Toyota. I got a great deal on the car, and for the most part enjoyed (and still do) commuting 80 miles per day in it and saving gas.

Until one day, at 67k miles, while driving on the highway, I punched it to pass a tractor-trailer, the car hesitated, and the check engine light came on along with the warning triangle. I babied it home and it made it ok. I borrowed my buddy's scanner, and after 15 minutes of scanning 16 different computers, it showed codes B1421, P1300, B1400, and POA7A. I cleared the codes, and for the next couple of days I made two short trips in the car, but noticed a strange "electrical" noise from under the hood.

On the third day, while pulling out of my subdivision, I lost all engine power, and the triangle and check engine lights came on again. I coasted to the side of the road and parked it. At that point, it would not go into drive or reverse at all. So I called a tow truck and had the car towed to Mall of Georgia Toyota for a diagnosis. The following day, the service writer called me to say that they suspect that the inverter or the transmission had gone bad. But since the inverter was under warranty and the trans was not, they would go ahead and replace the inverter first and go from there.

Well, the next day, he called me again with the bad news that the transmission was to blame and the cost to replace it is $3,700. I declined to have it fixed since that would defeat the whole purpose of having a fuel-efficient car that saves money. I had them tow the car back home, and decided that until I figured out what to do with it, I would drive my other car.

After doing some research on Prius transmissions, I learned that it was unusual for them to go out at such low mileage. And rather than endlessly battling the dealership and Toyota to convince them that they owe me a free transmission, I just took it upon myself to replace it. Being the experienced aircraft mechanic, electro-mechanical technician, and car tinkerer that I am, I have the tools and knowledge to do this on my own.

I then located a used low-mileage transmission at a local scrap yard for $275. This was way less expensive than other used transmissions because their guy had cut the large electrical cables instead of unbolting them. But those were easily swapped over from the old transmission. With the aid of some All Data instructions and some good help, I had the transmission swapped in about 10 hours total. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures of that process.

I did however decide to take apart the old blown transmission to see what happened inside of it. After about 30 minutes of fun dis-assembly and pushing around two HEAVY electric motors, I found the culprit. On the smaller motor-generator (MG2 ?), the stator had three large burn marks on the copper windings. See pictures below. I wonder what could have caused this? Bad design? Bad trans fluid? Driving too hard? Who knows...

Finally, I separated the steel, aluminum and motors (copper) and took them to the local recycling yard. The transmission consisted of 64 lbs. of aluminum, 80 lbs. of steel, and 76 lbs. of copper. They paid me a decent $53 for it.

All in all, my cost was: New used trans $275 + New Toyota WS ATF and coolant $60 + 2 Hours diagnostics at dealer $180 - Old trans $53 = Total $462

So far, I'm at 87k miles without any more issues. I just keep my eyes on the transmission fluid.

Old transmission disassembled:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two MGs:
    [​IMG]

Many many bolts:
    [​IMG]

The large MG:
    [​IMG]

Burn mark on smaller MG:
    [​IMG]

Another burn mark:
    [​IMG]

The largest burn mark:
    [​IMG]

Meg&Bear, frodoz737, Als2012 and 9 others like this.
  2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good job and good write-up. Any chance you have any of the old Wth-AS fluid left that you could send out for a Used Oil Analysis? This may be able to tell you if the trans fluid may have been an issue.

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Nice pics, thanks for the info. :)

One thing though, I'm a little confused about the mileage. You commute 80 miles a day and yet in 4 years you've only gone from 53k to 67k miles? Or did this "until one day, at 67k miles" thing happen about three years ago?o_O

MandyTee likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great job, thank you for posting. i think i have read about a small number of these problems in the past. glad you were able to diy and save a ton of money. welcome to p/c and all the best with your new tranny!

5. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I have to say, coming from an EE that's not that mechanically inclined, that's quite the DIY project, well done! Great pictures of the damage of the motors. If I had to guess, the continued driving past the initial problem is what I'm assuming fried MG1 that bad, but that still doesn't explain the first failure to begin with. MG1 would've had to reach fairly high temperatures to have the coils burn out like that! (see below)

---

On a very related note.. I had a co-op job once where I did some testing of a vacuum handling robot, which failed either because of disabled servos, or because the motors remained energized after failure. I did a worst-case scenario test on the overheating robot to see what temperature the windings sustained to see if there were any safety issues -- i.e. potential of a fire.

I'm not sure what the maximum winding temperature of MG1 is, but for the test I was doing I went about 10 deg C higher (unfortunately lost power shortly after 5 hours into the test) than the maximum winding temperature spec of one of the motor's windings without causing a fire. (MFR max temp of windings was stated to be 155 deg C)

Realistically under normal operation, the robot motor winding temperatures should not have exceeded 40 deg C; the current drawn from the wall socket before the failure was nominally ~2A DC... when the robot failed the current draw went up to 17A DC!

---

Kinda curious what others more familiar with transmission failures on Gen IIs have to say on the matter! Also, OP, props on getting money back on the old metal of the bad transmission, and great first post, haha. =)

Meg&Bear likes this.
  6. RedboneCoondhound

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, the old fluid is gone. I never thought about doing an analysis.

I drive 80 miles a day, but my work schedule is only 3 days a week. I sometimes drive my other car.

Thanks!!

It's strange that Toyota covers the hybrid system for up to 100k miles, yet those MGs inside the trans are not considered part of the hybrid system.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Could this all have been saved if you'd have acted immediately on the warning lights, taken the car in and perhaps found the inverter was bad; or would that not have made the slightest difference?

Meg&Bear likes this.
  8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A truly outstanding first post, and congratulations on your successful repair at such a low out-of-pocket cost. Thanks very much for the teardown and fault analysis.

DTC P0A7A is the important code logged by your car. I don't suppose that your service invoice lists the three digit info-code associated with that DTC, which provides a finer level of detail?

Regarding the two photos that I copied from your OP, are those two burn spots in close proximity to each other? Might they have been caused by the same wiring insulation fault?

I believe that the smaller MG is MG1 since it has a lower power capacity than MG2. MG2 always spins along with the transaxle output shaft. MG1 has the job of spinning forwards and backwards at whatever rate is needed to allow the gasoline engine and MG2 to spin at the rates required by the hybrid vehicle ECU, given accelerator pedal position and vehicle speed.

You had asked what was the cause of the problem. My guess: it happened when you floored the accelerator because there was a surge of current into MG1 which has to quickly adapt to the gasoline engine's RPM speeding up. That current surge found weak spots in the stator wire insulation and caused a high voltage arc from one winding phase to another, resulting in burn marks. There is up to ~500V three-phase AC voltage produced by the inverter.

9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Great post... So great I'm tweeting a link to it first thing in the morning! It's exactly the kinda of post that will fascinate someone thinking about buying a Prius... It's hard for people to understand how a hybrid engine works and even thought there are some great videos that explain how the moving parts work via animation and models, this is the first post that really shows how big and how heavy all these parts are... I especially like getting the weight of each type of metal thanks to you selling it at the junkyard. Brilliant work RedboneCoondhound! A very valuable contribution!

Meg&Bear likes this.
  10. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the manual, it is stated that normal street driving should not reach higher than 80C. I see 70C often going up hill on a hot day, with A/C on. The windings can go much higher before a DTC is stored, but 70C is already burn your finger hot.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well done on the cost! Yeah, 2nd Prius PSD failures seem rare, at least on ones w/that low a mileage.

Boy, I'd sure hate to have mine fail during the time I own the car. I'm more than 1.5 years past the powertrain warranty. I don't have the skills nor equipment to do a swap if I needed to.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  12. RedboneCoondhound

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My pleasure!

No codes on the invoice.

The largest burn spot was at the MG connections. Another one was 180 degrees on the opposite side. The third was ~ 45 degrees from the second spot.

That makes sense. I've had to adjust my driving habits with this car. No more sudden acceleration on the highway. That's somewhat difficult to adjust to since my last car was a BMW M3 and my current other car is a V8 Mercedes!

Meg&Bear likes this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    so there is some benefit to my driving like grandma?:p

goddess prii likes this.
  14. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm driving a 2005 with almost 100,000 miles and I don't baby the transmission. I'm all for replacing the fluid and I don't drive it like a drag racer but I wouldn't baby the prius just because you saw one fail.

15. RedboneCoondhound

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I found some more pictures on my Iphone:

This is the bad trans just after removal. Note the condition of the ATF in the container:

[​IMG]

This one shows why the replacement trans was so cheap. Note the cut cables:

[​IMG]

This is the replacement trans with the cover removed and uncut cables installed on it:

[​IMG]

Meg&Bear likes this.
  16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Undoubtedly caused by incompatible 3rd party ATF attacking the insulation ;_>

Meg&Bear likes this.
  17. DuPrius2008

DuPrius2008 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Shocked that Toyota doesn't cover mg replacement as part of 100k hybrid warranty....if transmission fluid change done by toyota or proof of purchase for toyota ws atf. I certainly thought mgs part of hybrid warranty.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree that the mg's should be part of the Hybrid Warranty and not the Powertrain Warranty since they are such a vital part of the HSD. The Warranty and Maintenance Guide Manual spells it out though, the Transaxle/Motor/Generator is spelled out under the 60 mos / 60,000 mile Powertrain Warranty.

Meg&Bear likes this.
  19. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As a new 2007 Prius owner and somebody who is very mechanically inclined with years of experience, I find this very reassuring that replacing major components of the Prius are (somewhat) user friendly.

Looks to be a straightforward transmission swap very similar to any modern FWD vehicle. Not too shabby at all. To make matters better, I checked car-part.com and locally used low mileage Prius trans's are going for pretty cheap, relatively speaking ($350-$800). Hopefully Ill never have to go "there" but I will definitely be changing 4 quarts of Toyota's world trans fluid out of that thing every 30,000 miles as preventative measures!

Meg&Bear likes this.
  20. RedboneCoondhound

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's where I located replacement trans. Great website!

Meg&Bear and PriusGuy32 like this.