1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blue bars question for new owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tex Bex, Mar 12, 2022.

1. Tex Bex

Tex Bex New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius isn’t running yet and I bought it as is and am reading and learning on day 2 as an owner. The center display shows about 6 blue bars (over half way full) on the battery icon. Does this give me any indication of the health of the hybrid battery? This car hasn’t been running in at least a few months. The little I’ve read on this was confusing. Thanks for any clarity.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius like to keep the hybrid battery around 60% true SOC which is approximately 6 bars on the Energy Monitor. (It’ll go green for 7 and 8 and purple for 1 and 2 bars).

It doesn’t give any indication of battery health but one sign of a weak or failing battery is if the battery discharges quickly and the engine is always coming on to charge the battery (and so the hybrid battery display is sitting at 1-2 bars constantly while driving).

3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Step One: Get a quality OBD2 dongle for $30 or less from Amazon and at least the free version of the Dr Prius app then run some diagnostics on it.
    If the car has really been sitting for a few months, I’m surprised the 12v battery hasn’t discharged. I’d charge that up too.