1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blue led dash conversion

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by lpe350, Dec 4, 2011.

1. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everyone, I think you might like this.

I swapped out all the "green" leds on my console and changed them to blue leds.

I used 3mm flat top leds and all it took was a lot of time and patient. (I don't advise you to try this unless you're really good soldering) fyi, It can be done with any color leds.

enjoy!

PS, my phone doesn't take the greatest pics. The blue appears almost white but it is actually blue ... lol...

Pic 3 is actually the latest update with a little red mixed in. (12/10/11 11:56pm)

Pics 4,5 is my wife's Prius with the same mod in PINK. (12/15/11 2:16pm)

Attached Files:

2. roypaik

roypaik Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    awesome!

is it possible to change the lights on the multi-information display?

1 person likes this.
  3. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do not believe it is possible. I think that is not back lit but it is an actual led display. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. :confused:

4. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Very nice! How does the brightness compare?

1 person likes this.
  5. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! It is much brighter but it can be adjusted by the dimmer.

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the idea, could you post a pic of the leds at their dimmest setting, mid level, and full on? The pic you posted looks like full on? You can change the current limiting resistor and set full on at a lower max brightness if super bright blue whacks you out at night.
    I envision just a nice soft dull deep blue light against the black. I was also thinking of either Red or Amber, I am sorta leaning towards Amber. Blues do look good however!

2 people like this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh how I wish I was good at soldering lol. I would love to change mine to amber or white.

1 person likes this.
  8. LulzChicken

LulzChicken Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That looks stellar! Nice work on the color. I think it looks way, WAY much better than the normal mellow green color.

1 person likes this.
  9. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    that's pretty bright! LOL

tekstyle and lpe350 like this.
  10. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm very curious about how the conversion was done on the A/C display panel. Normally it is a dull green - even during daytime operation. We're you able to get that background area to backlight as the same blue - or is that just an illusion in your pic?

You might tell members about the tear-down process to get to those LEDs. Several panels on the sky-bridge need to come off and then the radio/sat and A/C control units must be extracted (4 bolts for radio). Once you get the units extracted, you need to remove the display panels to get access to the LEDs. Lamps in the shifter area should be easier to access.

Great job though...have you done this before?

1 person likes this.
  11. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    how did you do it ?

it looks sick !!!

Wilfredo and lpe350 like this.
  12. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Everything pretty much pulls off on the Prius besides for the (4)10mm screws holding the nav/radio in place. The rear of the a/c unit has 7 phillips screws and the Nav radio has 6 Phillips screws holding the front panel in place. I don't think fellow members would have differculty with the disassembly part. Like I mentioned before, the soldering is the hard part. The circuit boards are labeled "a" for + and "k" for -. (Once again, I don't recommend trying this unless you have experience with a hot iron)

The back of the ac display has 6 leds which were changed by removing the 2 screws holding the display against the panel.

As far as doing this before, I've done 2 Corvettes(one red/one blue)and a GMC yukon (white) before. The Prius is by far the easiest of the 4. I am still trying to finish off the window switches and power button as well as the steering controls.

I kinda like the BRIGHT lights, but it will dim all the way down and cut off at the same time the multi display cuts off from too little voltage. I used super bright leds, I guess one can always use standard leds if it appears too bright.

13. dehhh

dehhh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    very nice.

if I were to mod it I would do a soft white.

briankstan and lpe350 like this.
  14. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OP - again, great job and keep us posted on how the other controls turned out. Where did you get the LEDs from? Have you noticed any change in the color of the background of the A/C status panel during daytime operation (i.e. is it still bright blue)?

I kept your notes in post #12 in case I decide to do this one too. I like the look of blue since it ties in better with the speedo/MID cluster color. Keep track of how the steering wheel LED changes went...I've wondered how that silver plastic trim comes off the wheel. Those OEM LEDs are way too dim IMO, maybe more powerful ones would bring them up so they are easier to see.

1 person likes this.
  15. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The blue is nice and bright even during the day, but it really doesn't match the multi display at all :(. The silver steering wheel panels can be removed by following the directions in the JDM steering wheel tread. I'll try to get to the other lights this weekend if time permits.

Update! The steering wheel came off quite easily by removing the the small panels on either side with a screw driver and then prying on the spring clip to release the air bag. After that, 2 phillips screw on each side will release the silver pieces with the switches.

The Ipod style switches only had 2 green leds on each side but there were provisions for 4 on each side so I soldered 4 blue 3mm leds on each side. (I would use standard leds next time since the super bright ones I used are really bright and the steering wheel controls do not dim with the dash dimmer.) The hands free buttons had 2 leds which I replaced. I also replaced the little green dots on the window switched with blue leds but I didn't include the pics. (just picture blue instead of green, lol)

I also installed the aftermarket heated seat switched under the sky bridge with blue leds to match.

Can anyone tell me how to disassemble the "start" button without breaking it so I can change that to blue too? I tried but didn't have much luck and didn't want to break it since the car would be useless if that happened until I would be able to replace it. Thank you in advance!

Attached Files:

Dylan Doxey, phoenixgreg and KK6PD like this.
  16. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    TTT, updated ^^^ :)

17. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Awesome job on the steering wheel! I wish Toyota had used your "blue" concept as it has much cooler look to it. Too bad the speedo/MID pales by comparison now.

Can you post some details as to how you got the silver trim plates off of the steering wheel?

1 person likes this.
  18. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update! I got the "power" button apart and changed out the 1 green led to blue. I also did the radio over and used red leds where the button divider are to give it a little contrast. :D

Attached Files:

19. timthecyclist25

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wow, that's pretty cool.

1 person likes this.
  20. NineScorpions

NineScorpions Economy, Meet Style!!

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius