1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blue led dash conversion

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by lpe350, Dec 4, 2011.

1. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank You for the seller. I was able to cross reference the same size, but in Red, Yellow Off Red, and Orange. I will be able to see which color I want when the samples I ordered arrive. It's a nice site for LED's
    Was 90 the minimum they would sell, or did you buy alot of spares? :D

2. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I work with surface mount componants everyday in a shop set up to do them. I extreamly impressed that you can change these outside of a shop. destroying a board taking off a surface mount componant is very easy.

1 person likes this.
  3. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well 90 is all they had in stock. I figure people near me may want to do this to their cars so I grabed up a bunch. About the board....lets just say I'm extremely careful as to not burn or damage the board in anyway. :D :D Love my baby girl am I want to improve her not break her hehe. I will also say I was afraid of ESD so I picked up what I felt was all the equipment I would need. Tweezers, ESD strap, fine conical tip, thin electrical soldier, magnifier, soldier reel and a board vise if you will. Glad I had all these tools as it helped with the removal and install. I am unsure how many more leds are left for the rest of the car. I can say that there are 58 leds for the nav unit, three for the EV/PWR/ECO, two for the park, 1 3mm led for the power button, 19 PLCC's,7 leds on HVAC pnl. As far as the steering wheel, door pnls IDK....Ill be finding out once my leds come in.

1 person likes this.
  4. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

My wife's car had an aftermarket Nav and 50 leds did the job with about 3 to spare. Her car didn't have the bluetooth control so if yours has it, it will be exactly what you need. (if you don't melt any during installation). I got mine from Surface Mount PLCC-2 SMT LEDs. They are a bit pricey, but they don't burn out like the "ebay" ones that I've tried. Regarding the "angle" that someone referred to, the PLCC2 leds are wide angle so you'll have to be way off for the light to not shine to the right place. Good luck with your conversion. :)

There are 5 in the driver's door window control, and 1 ea for any of the other doors. I used one for the overhead light shining down to the shifter and four each side for the steering wheel controls. There are three for the bluetooth control. One more if you have fog lights and one for the "PWR" button.:D

I did it the "old school" way... on my kitchen table with a "fine" tip (home made by cutting the tip on a sharp angle) and tweezers borrowed from my wife. No ESD ground strap or special equipment. Just being really careful not to overheat anything.

5. shawnb2

shawnb2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Awesome! Thank you for the info.

6. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Took me some time but enjoy the video ask questions, make comments. The Blue Ghost is coming along nicely. :rockon::cool: Prius Mods - YouTube

2 people like this.
  7. lpe350

lpe350 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    nice, now all you need is your new pwr button.

8. Philatc

Philatc Pushing Tin

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Its enroute eta idk hehe Ill post later

9. Toasticuss

Toasticuss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Are there disassembly instructions somewhere for accessing all of these LEDs? I am extremely interested in doing this as well on a 2013 prius.

10. Dylan Doxey

Dylan Doxey Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my past life I was a helicopter crewman in the Navy. In aircraft and ships we use red lighting at night because it doesn't degrade your night vision and allows you to see outside without being blinded by the glare of your instruments.

So, that's why I decided to roll with red.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also replaced the shifter mood light with one of these:
    [​IMG]

I am pretty comfortable working with a soldering iron. But I've never ventured into the area of working with surface mount components.
    Wow! This was more difficult than I imagined. This work requires a very steady hand and excellent vision at the very small scale.

First I started with something easy -- the shifter overhead "mood light".
    20160229_161344.jpg

This was a pretty straight forward operation. The disassembly, LED replacement, and reassembly were not particularly challenging.

Next I moved on to the smallest of the surface mount jobs -- the hazard & mode button assembly.
    Here's a look at the circuit board after I removed the OEM LEDs, and made a few other mods.
    20160305_075445.jpg
    Notice that Toyota is using LEDs that have a Cathode lead on three corners (indicated by the "K" pad on the circuit boad). That's a problem for me because the Oznium LEDs simply have a Cathode side and an Anode side. That's why I was forced to bust out the Dremel and etch out the third K pad. That was a problem for EV LED (top left) because that third K pad was also inline with the path to the source voltage. So.. a jumper was necessary.
    20160305_085653.jpg
    Here you can see the finished product. After going through all of this, I buttoned it up and put it in the car. It was completely dark! After rechecking all of my connections with a ohmmeter I thought I'd try reversing the polarity on one of the LEDs. It worked! So ... it turns out that my Oznium LEDs are notched on the Anode, not on the Cathode as I thought was the standard. Yep, just looked it up. It's official.

upload_2016-3-5_20-10-39.png
    (From the Oznium website.)

That little board with four LEDs took nearly three hours before I could declare success.

That's why I was nearly ready to quit when I opened up the AC controller module.
    20160305_153002.jpg
    This baby has got 26 LEDs on it. Gawd!

But I had enough practice by now (and I'd figured out the notch was the Anode) this ended up going very smoothly. After etching out all of the third K terminals, I only needed to add two jumpers. Whew!

I also got the mirror controller and the fog light switch.
    upload_2016-3-5_20-17-56.png

I could use a tip on getting the Start Button open.
    20160304_182545.jpg

I got this far, blue cover and chrome ring removed, and I couldn't figure out what was next. The more I pried at the circuit board it just felt wrong.

Attached Files:

bonchang, Gaspeed, sonnyd510 and 7 others like this.
  11. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    sfv41901, Dylan Doxey and Burna J like this.
  12. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Dam @Dylan Doxey ......steeping up the modding game

Looks freaking awesome, reminded me of my M3

iPhone ?

13. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Man this takes me back to my scion days doing this to people's HVAC and clusters. Did you need to replace any resistors to get the brightness to work out? I know if I did anything other than red, I'd have to replace a couple of resistors to get the system back into spec on scions.

14. Dylan Doxey

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did not replace any resistors and I used the same LEDs in all of the replacements. For the case of LEDs which are controlled by the dash brightness control is works out just fine. But for the LEDs which are full intensity all the time (such as the AC on/off indicators) they're just a little too bright at night. But not so much that it bothers me.

bonchang likes this.
  15. torparts

torparts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    mod party at dylan's ...da more da merrier! LOL

bonchang, sfv41901 and Dylan Doxey like this.
  16. Michael Mann

Michael Mann Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Great job! Been wanting to attack this but it's above my modding skills...

17. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey @Dylan Doxey, I have a spare speedo cluster.....wanna take a look at it to see if the can be done on it?

iPhone ?

bonchang and Dylan Doxey like this.
  18. Dylan Doxey

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Awesome. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

bonchang likes this.
  19. Dylan Doxey

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was doing some surfing on Oznium today.

I found these:
    3528 Surface Mount PLCC-4 SMT LEDs | Oznium

These LEDs have four leads which better match many of the OEM LEDs in the AC module and the Hazard/Modes module. The difference is that with these you don't have to alter the circuit board. (If you're thinking of getting some, choose the "common cathode" option.)

Then I found these.
    1206 Surface Mount LEDs | Oznium

I think these will better match the LEDs in my after-market stereo which is still on my TODO list.

Gaspeed, Burna J and sfv41901 like this.
  20. Dylan Doxey

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I finished my aftermarket head unit LEDs.
    20160314_191241.jpg

I installed the smaller 1206 Ozniums.

20160313_090419.jpg
    20160313_170138.jpg 20160313_121100.jpg 20160313_170103.jpg

I rigged up a 12v power supply so that I could bench test along the way.

#60 Dylan Doxey, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 18, 2016