1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blueconnect Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by rsforkner, May 3, 2008.

1. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I am seriously considering installation of the "Blueconnect" Bluetooth option. I spent 30 years with electronics so the wiring doesn't bother me. The part that really has me concerned is removing the post cover where the side airbag is kept so that I can run the ACC wire down and under the dash.

I have read so much about this option and while it is a little pricey it sounds like a really good unit.

Every thing I read has these ominous warnings about the possibility of setting off the air bag. "Concerned" is really too soft a word. It scares me to death.

Has anyone here actually had that cover off and is it really as big a deal as I read in the instructions? Am I just being paranoid?

Anything special I need to know about this part of the installation besides "Be Very Careful"?

Is there an ACC connection in the overhead console that could be used instead of running a wire under the dash?

Looking for some warm fuzzes from someone who has been in there before me.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I haven't opened that part of the interior yet, so I can't speak from direct experience. I can tell you that if you disconnect the 12V battery and wait a while, you can't electrically trigger any of the airbags. It's unlikely you could trigger the side airbag even with the battery connected, but disconnected you have no fear.

There's no switched 12V ACC wiring directly in the overhead, the lights are powered all the time.

3. rigormortis

rigormortis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i thought i responded on this before, oh well

i would advise against the blueconnect device, this is an aftermarket installation and will not be integrated with the prius mfd, and for the
    same amount of money you can get a nice GPS like a tomtom, garmin, etc with its own bluetooth handset feature and be able to take it car to car

4. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have read several posts on this topic. I already have a portable GPS device that works very well so if I buy a new one I would be paying the same amount of money but for only the bluetooth part of the device anyway. Only have one car so have no need for two. Most of the Garmin and TomTom reviews I have read list their microphones as "ok". 99% say the Blueconnect is "excellent".

The other option is a bluetooth only device that clips to the visor. Problem with that is I have to remember to turn it off and on every time. With Blueconnect it connects up to the car's electrical system and when the car is on, it is on.

I got one of those things that sticks in my ear and hate it. I am still looking at options. This all started with the advertisement from the dealer until I discovered he wants $300 just for the installation, plus the device.

Still undecided and still shopping, for something..... <SIGH>

Thanks,
    Bob

5. sergio

sergio McGiver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Bob

I don't understand why you want to modify your car only for adding a simple BT option.
    I have a very simple BT device I bought for my previous car. (now i have a Prius with Nav..)
    It works very well with good sound quality and has as standard option an internal directory you can easily download from your phone. Also voice command from the directory is standard so you can really operate the mobile with both hand on the steering wheel.
    It is an indipendent unit powered by a rechargeable battery with abt 15 days of authonomy in stand by and 4/5 hrs in speaking.
    It has its own charging cable like a mobile phone.
    Every time the connected mobile is disconnected (e.g when you go out from the car) automatically it switches off.
    You can use the unit also out of the car. (e.g. I use it on my desk speaking and writing at same time and very often mount it with a bracket on my motorbike)
    The company is named Parrot (Parrot France, Parrot.com. Parrot SA, Bluetooth. Actualités kits mains-libres Parrot France.) and the model is the Minikit. I spent for it only 80 euros (120 $)
    Frankly speaking sometime I regret it when I try to use the standard Prius BT with all its problems...

Sergio:(

6. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    sergio,

Tried to reply yesterday but failed with the server problems. Thanks for the link to Parrot. I had not heard of this brand before. Did some research and went shopping. (Best Buy)

Silly me, I went looking in the cell phone department. After what seemed like forever I gave up. No joy, at all. Then I saw the sign, Automotive. Why not? So off I went.

There it was! Parrot was the only Bluetooth accessory in the Automotive Department. All the rest of the car kit type Bluetooths were in the Cell Phone Department. At the end of it all, I bought the Parrot Minikit. My only complaint so far is that the set-up voice is very hard for me to understand. Could use a better manual but I'll figure it out. Maybe they have an on-line manual. I'll have to check. Price wasn't bad, $80 US.

Thanks,
    Bob

7. sergio

sergio McGiver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Bob
    Happy to be helpful. Yes to load the voice command is quite a boring job but if you do it you have another advantage : when you receive a call from a recorded caller the MiniKit repeat his name before ringing so you can decide what to do (answering or not) without moving your eyes from the road and/or your hand from steering wheel...
    Sergio