1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth 5 compatibility with in car system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mathewjg, Dec 9, 2018.

1. mathewjg

mathewjg Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have previously connected my old phone (Nexus 6) to my 2nd gen Prius Bluetooth system without any problems but I can't get my new phone to connect. It's. Xiaomi mi 8 and uses Bluetooth version 5. I get a connection fail message on both my phone and the car. I have cleared the cars phone registry, cleared the phones Bluetooth cache, turned Bluetooth on and off multiple times in the phone but nothing works Has anyone connected any other Bluetooth 5 phones eg pixel or latest iPhones?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  3. mathewjg

mathewjg Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just tried my sons pixel 2 and it works ok! He has android pi running so perhaps that helps in some way. I was able to connect my mi 8 to a Honda crv with no problems. So i am not really any wiser. Hopefully my phone will get Android Pi and then connect to my Prius but in the mean time i will have to buy a stand alone Bluetooth hands free kit.

4. mathewjg

mathewjg Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A simple temporary resolution has been to connect my phone into the aux input of the car. I run android auto on the phone so I get text messages converted to speech, the microphone of the phone picks up my speech for phone calls etc and all audio comes out of the car speakers. If I am running Waze navigation app and Google play music, the sat nav guidance over rides the music. Same for phone calls and text messages. Only problem now is that the phone has a usb c socket and uses a usb c converter to connect to the aux so I can't charge the phone. It's not a major problem because at the moment the battery in the phone is very good and still lasts at least a day even with heavy sat nav use.

SFO likes this.
  5. mathewjg

mathewjg Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My phone has updated to android 9 and now connecting to the car Bluetooth. I can make calls but the car is displaying an "out of range" message. It's a shame I can't stream audio to the car system but not surprising given the old version of Bluetooth in the car audio system

6. mathewjg

mathewjg Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually the out of range message is a big problem now as incoming calls can't be answered. Frustrating thing is that it's intermittent. When the phone first connects and pairs with the car the connection is fine and then after a few minutes the out of range message appears on the car telephone connection info