1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth audio streaming phone compatibility

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ancientsan, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Apple didn't implement bluetooth streaming on the iPhone because its a battery hog. 3.0 will have it but rumor is a whole new iPhone with better battery life will be announced in June to address that. I still would prefer a USB with iPod integration solution.

2. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

not really, they didnt implement it because they never built a phone before. iphone has extremly limited bluetooth support.. at least in europe, all of our $1 phones have A2DP and have had it for few years now.

From the specs it seems AVRCP 1.3 is support so thats great - you will be able to see track info in supported phones.

3. kermityfrog

kermityfrog New Member

HTMLSpinnr.
    Seem like the MAC ID is from Alps Electric. Not sure will this can help figure our how the Bluetooth was implemented in the 2010 model.
    (http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt)

00-1B-FB (hex) Alps Electric Co., Ltd
    001BFB (base 16) Alps Electric Co., Ltd
    1-2-1, Okinouchi
    Soma-city Fukushima--pref 976-8501
    JAPAN

4. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Keep your $1 phone, the iPhone is not just a regular phone, its also an iPod and internet device, so battery life was an important issue. So much so that Apple waited for a more efficient 3G chip before implementing it. Anyway, here in America, our commutes in our cars are a lot longer than in Europe. So bluetooth streaming isn't that popular.

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

I actually have an iphone, got it when it came out :).

And its not because of battery issues - iphone has very bad bluetooth support period. No transfer of contacts, files, no streaming, pretty much nothing.

6. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just read in the Audio manual that if your phone has AVRCP 1.3, then the Prius will be able to detect song ID3 track data along with all of the features of 1.0 (skip tracks, fast forward, pause, etc).

7. ancientsan

ancientsan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been using bluetooth stereo headsets to listen to mp3s from my phone for a while and I don't think the battery consumption is that bad. My music is usually interrupted from low battery in the headset but rarely because of the phone. But then my phone is not a 3G smartphone, so maybe smartphones simply cannot carry the extra burden?

8. RebelScum

RebelScum New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Battery consumption, while certainly a concern, does have a simple solution: car charger. Especially if you're talking about "long trips." I know, it defeats the purpose of having bluetooth if you still plug it in, but at least now you only have 1 wire, and it's just for power. Besides, you can't have it both ways: either you use A2DP with no charger and run out of juice, or with a charger and not worry about it. I plug in my charger whenever I get in the car anyway.

Oh, and for anyone with a T-Mobile G1, or any future Android-powered device: I just heard that they are pushing out the fabled "Cupcake" update over the next few weeks. Two of the features they are adding are A2DP and AVRCP! So we should be golden by the time the 2010 Prius comes out.