1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth/Aux Upgrade

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by StephenDP, Oct 21, 2021.

1. StephenDP

StephenDP New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! I own a 2002 Prius and I've been trying to find different kits that I could use to give the car aux plug-in or Bluetooth, and while I have found some from GROM, I'm hoping to find something that might be cheaper than what they already have to offer. I've also looked at Crutchfield but there seems to be few options for my model, with those options not being clear on whether or not they will fit well.

I hope to avoid any FM transmitters as the ones I've used don't seem to work well at all due to poor reception from the low accessory socket location or the receiving radio itself.

Are there any other options that might work? Also, what are the exact type of cables that are used for the stereo or CD port (if they happen to have a name/number/model)?

Thanks in advance!

2. nimblemotors

nimblemotors Re Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I hacked into the CD player to add an AUX input for my daughters car. A bit fiddly to solder wires to it.
    You can find info on youtube on doing this, maybe not specifically for a gen1 prius..
    I've used the tape player inputs, so easy, but some adapters and tape players make noise.

3. StephenDP

StephenDP New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, what I'm using at the moment is a tape adapter and while I don't notice the noise, I can't tell if the tape player or the speakers have a hard time playing some stereo dependent music. There seems to be a "cone of sound" in which the sound that can normally be heard outside the cone (with any other audio device) just happens to be too quiet to hear from the car's stereo. Plus, I've had it to where the adapter can stop playing music all together if it somehow gets too hot.

4. AJ7

AJ7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Costs $155 but the Grom bluetooth adapter works seamlessly in my 2002 Prius.
    FF and RW buttons on the stereo even go back or skip songs on spotify- and my phone connects automatically most of the time.

Can't post a link- search the google "Grom BT3"
    Toyota Lexus 98-05 Bluetooth adapter car kit interface
    -Aaron

5. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I bit the bullet and bought the GROM. It works great and the install was easy.

But you can find the other ways. There's a thread on here somewhere for installing a standard head unit. It does involve getting into the wiring so if you're comfy with that (like wiring diagrams and cutting/stripping/soldering etc. then it's no big deal.