1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth connection kills Google maps voice over radio?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Scarletleaf, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Scarletleaf

Scarletleaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,

Can anyone please offer advice on this one?

I have successfull paired my phone (Samsung S4) with the radio in my 2011 Prius. I can use the phone via the steering wheel controls/nav touchscreen, play music, apps, etc. through the BT connection without difficulty. However, when I switch to the Google Maps app, the voice directions will NOT play through the radio. If I disconnect the BT, the voice will still play just fine through my phone. I have checked all of the settings I can find, and all are enabled to allow voice through BT.

Please assist if you can, this is is driving me crazy!

Update: Still can't get it to connect intentionally. However, when I was on a call via BT yesterday, the map voice came through the car's speakers then as I had a map route running in the background. But still, I can't get just the map voice from my phone to play via BT.

- Sl

#1 Scarletleaf, Apr 30, 2015
    Last edited: May 9, 2015
  2. JayLn

JayLn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    yes when playing spotify / pandora / itune radio and using google navigation sometimes google turn by turn voice gets really low to the point you can't hear it you have to pause your radio and it usually get fix if you receive a notification alert, I am using iPhone 6 plus.

3. P.L.

P.L. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes. Also found this issue this weekend but for it was the opposite. Even though phone was primary phone connected, the only way I could get Google maps voice to play was by streaming music through the phone. This uses my data plan so not very scalable for longer trips.

Would love any tips or advice here as well

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try putting mp3 in your phone and playing that while you have your maps going

5. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Are you running Android OS?

If so, Open Google Maps
    - Click on the Menu (which is three horizontal lines in the search field located in the upper left)
    - Click on Settings (scroll to bottom of the Menu)
    - Click on Navigation Settings
    - Ensure "Play voice over Bluetooth" has a checkbox next to it.

If you are running Windows or Apple iOS, I'm not familiar with the layout of the Google Maps Application

DoubleDAZ and JC91006 like this.
  6. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Doesn't Maps also use your data plan? How practical is it for longer trips? I keep seeing people say they use Maps for navigation, but I always wonder how much data it would use on a 7,000-8,000 mile trip like the one I'm currently 3/4 of the way through. I'm left wondering if they only use it to navigate through major cities, etc. Heck, I can go from Phoenix to Savannah without using the nav, but I like knowing where I am, where I'm going, when I'm going to arrive and what's along the way. :)

7. peterjmc

peterjmc Ping pong in Ding Dang...

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Using Google maps would use your carriers data if you weren't in an area where you had WiFi (if your phone is capable of WiFi)

8. Scarletleaf

Scarletleaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thanks for tip. Unfortunately, this was already checked and I still can't maps to play over BT unless I have something else running as well. Would like to be able to just keep audio on FM stations and have maps play voice directions as well. Any other ideas?