1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth connection quality

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim MacDonald, May 4, 2013.

1. Jim MacDonald

Jim MacDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi All,

I have a 2013 Prius II that I have been mating to my iPhone 5 via bluetooth for some time. It works perfectly except for one issue: I use a ProClip mount to secure the phone on the middle vents above the radio display (great mount btw) - when I place a call (and often when listening to music) I get very poor, staticky, sound quality. The kicker is, when I move the phone out from the holder and into a different part of the car the quality improves to where it should be. I can't tell but it seems to me that the vent area above the radio display is something of a 'dead zone' for the Prius Bluetooth connection. At first I thought it was the mount but if I remove the phone from the mount and move it a few inches to the side, next to it, I still have the same problems.

Does anyone have any ideas or any similar experiences? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.
    J

JMD likes this.
  2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It may be to close to the Stereo and may be getting interference.

3. Jim MacDonald

Jim MacDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That certainly seems to be the issue but I've never heard of this happening - has anyone else experienced this with a dash mounted phone? Any idea for a fix?

JMD likes this.
  4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Power down and up iPhone.

If that does not work try mounting It by the side vent

5. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same thing happened to me. Try to not squeeze the holster too tight on the phone. That was what contributed to the BT issues. That or try rearranging the way it cradles ur phone if its possible.

Jim MacDonald and JMD like this.
  6. Jim MacDonald

Jim MacDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Were you able to fix the static connection issues? I don't have the holster too tight and moving the holster hasn't seemed to help much. Thanks for the help!!

7. p00kienrayray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That was the problem for me. It seems as if the foam on the holster was messing with the BT signals. I have it mounted on the center AC vent nearest to driver and it works fine. Have u tried relocating the mount to somewhere else in the car just to see if that makes a difference?

Jim MacDonald likes this.
  8. Jim MacDonald

Jim MacDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've tried taking the phone out of the holster and putting it in, for example, the cup holder and then it works fine. I've also tried moving the holster left and right in the center vents and no luck. The center ac vent on the drivers side has been my preference but the connection has been very poor...

9. p00kienrayray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    But have you tried taking holster mount from center vents and placing somewhere else? This is just to see if the holster is the cause.

Edit: nvm, I reread ur OP. I'm not sure of what the exact cause is here. I did experience it when I initially started mounting it in same location. But that issue has long been gone since I adjusted the holster.

10. Jim MacDonald

Jim MacDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you don't mind, which car mount are you using? I may want to get the same one.

11. p00kienrayray

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three