1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth connection time?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by B_in_WeHo, May 24, 2013.

1. B_in_WeHo

B_in_WeHo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How long should it take for my iPhone 5 to connect to my bluetooth when I am first starting the car?
    Say I am walking to my car and talking on the phone, I get in and start my 2012 prius III. How long should it take before my conversation goes from my phone to having the bluetooth take over and I can talk hands free? My 2007 Lexus connects right away, within a few seconds. I had a loaner Pruis V today and I was surprised how quickly my conversation took over hands free. So I timed it in my Pruis tonight, it took 48 seconds from the time started my car until my conversation became hands free. I always just assumed it was the software in my prius was crappy. Is that normal?

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Pearl S connects in a few seconds, typically 5-7 sec. That's for both the phone and music (which I never use). I have a Google Nexus S phone.

3. B_in_WeHo

B_in_WeHo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I want to add, that when I am already in my car and driving and my phone rings through the bluetooth and I am able to answer my phone and it connects. I am able to have a conversation immediately, using my bluetooth. It is just when I first get into my car it takes forever to connect.

4. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yes of course they first have to even able to connect so you pretty much need to be inside the car bt range is really just a few dozen feet ... then they sync up for me (BB) 5 sec max .. but to be honest I have never tried this while talking on the phone sounds little addictive to me ... of course my cell phone talk average is 1 min. while walking or even driving ...

5. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Pearl S and my phone will connect at 20 to 30 ft. I know this because it happens when I get out and close the garage doors and exit the garage via the "man door" at the other end. Also I have had a phone call a few times when I was opening or closing the garage doors. Have to stick my head into the car to talk. ;)

6. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sure but for me the car is usually off while I am approaching ... and when the garage actually has enough room for the car I can open AND close the door with remote ... so I almost never actually approach the car while the car is already on (so the BT in th car is on and listening. If I have the BT on the phone (like coming home) connection is pretty much instantenious after car booted. In the morning I turn on the car snd sometime set the BT on on the phone (silly thing but needs PWD so turning off/on the phone for the night drops BT)

So in theory 20-30 feet seem right and if they connected car takes over ...