1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth connects but no audio

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by primal_G, Jul 6, 2016.

1. primal_G

primal_G Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2013 Prius. Audio worked fine yesterday but on my way to work this morning the car would not play audio from my iPhone 6s. The Bluetooth is connected fine and calling still works but when I play music the screen shows that the music is playing but I get no sound from my speakers. Any advice on what to do? I've tried resetting my phone and turned the car off and on to no avail

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked your bluetooth volume on your phone? It affects the output volume (not just the in-car radio's volume knob).

3. MattTheCat

MattTheCat New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm having the same problem as primal_G. I checked the bluetooth volume and that's not the solution.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The only other things I can think of are:

• Turn off BT on your phone and turn it back on again to reconnect
    • Unpair the phone from the car and then register it again (after turning the car off and then on again between unpairing and registering)
    • Turn off your phone and turn it on again (smartphones are rarely turned off nowadays so maybe once in a while they need a reboot)

5. Peter Campbell

Peter Campbell New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have you found a solution because my 2014 prius started doing the same thing recently. I tried connecting another phone and no sound from that one either. I did everything mentioned in the above post with no avail, plus I upgraded the prius radio to the latest firmware. Still no music. Bluetooth connects for phone only. The ipod works for music, just no music for bluetooth.

6. markismyfirstname

markismyfirstname New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Same here. I've done everything that's been recommended. What to do? Wait for the next ios update? Everything else seems to work fine, i.e. other bluetooth devices.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Check your phone under bluetooth settings if "music" has been disabled. If it is, no music won't be transmitted thru the car's bluetooth audio system. There should also be "phone" that can be disabled so phone calls won't pass thru the car's bluetooth audio.

8. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Apple is pretty spotty when doing updates and using newer phones with our radios. Samasungs are even worse. Try going into diag mode and see if there are any codes current.

9. markismyfirstname

markismyfirstname New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Solved.

This was all about the airplay button. If you have this problem, you can't ignore airplay, as I did, just because you don't think you ever could have changed anything on it.

How this worked out: Pulled my stitcher app up so I could see the bottom row. Found the airplay button - I can't post a link, but google the word and look for images. Pressed that button and found that the volume was way down.

How did this happen? Oh well, never mind.

10. JRW

JRW Automotive Journalist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the suggestion. After unpairing and repairing my iPhone X from my 2012 Prius Plug-in Hybrid, I read your suggestion. The volume on my iPhone X was turned all the way off.

11. MimsBird

MimsBird New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi there. I was having the same issue after going in to the dealership and their very easily finding a way To connect my phone with my 2016 Prius, Which, for years, it had not been playing through my speakers ever since I upgraded to an iPhone XS max plus. Before that I had an iPhone 8 plus It worked for the last couple of weeks and then today all of a sudden it didn’t work. But I found “CarPlay” in general settings on my iPhone. All it says to do is hit that button on your steering wheel that has a person talking icon on it and then somehow your phone will start playing through your car. Hope that helps. It worked for me. Of course that’s once you realize for sure that you are connected through Bluetooth both on your phone and in the car.

12. B5860

B5860 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I’ve been driving around for months like this too and tried everything. Went to the Apple store and they told me to go to the Toyota dealership. Before I did that I tried again & it finally worked!

I went to:
    SETUP
    AUDIO
    BLUETOOTH AUDIO SETTINGS
    BLUETOOTH AUDIO (the first thing on the list)
    Click REGISTER
    And it paired right away.