1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth iOS 8 album artwork works!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by HprDad, Jan 16, 2015.

1. HprDad

HprDad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So,

I thought this wasn't supported. My 2012 Four has the stock Display Audio w/ Nav & JBL. Used an iPod over USB until my iPhone 6 came along (v 8.1.1). Not wanting to plug in every morning, I've been using Bluetooth. First I was disappointed at losing the browse capability, and seeing generic artwork displayed (Jazz, R&B, Rock). Now that I've played more albums, I've found that artwork is displayed for many (not all) of the albums. The resolution is lower, and sometimes isn't the exact artwork from my music library.

So, how is this working? Where is the system getting the artwork from? My understanding of the BT protocols, is that even the latest supports only artist, album, and track info.

Attached Files:

2. Ank

Ank Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wonder if some of the more common album artwork is stored locally on the car? I have a 2011 Four, and I haven't seen this - but I use an iphone 5 with an older version of iOS. Cool find!

3. m0dest

m0dest New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    As you point out, there's no standard way to transmit album art over Bluetooth. (It's technically possible for a vendor to use a proprietary metadata field within AVRCP 1.4 and encode up to ~42 KB of album art as a metadata field. I don't think anyone is doing this today, though.)

I suspect that the album art is coming from Gracenote's matching service, which would explain why it sometimes differs from your music library. Do you have your Prius set up for Internet access? (e.g. through phone tethering)

4. HprDad

HprDad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have it paired for phone and audio over BT, but I don't have entune installed. Tethering in the phone is disabled (personal hotspot). Is there another method for tethering?

FWIW, the displayed artwork is *much* lower resolution than when I use USB.

5. vthreee

vthreee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    lucky! my prius 2013 Four, not IV as roman numerals were used for model year 2010, hatch with navi and solar roof -- does no such things.. actually want to just wait until wireless car play becomes a thing, and buy a 3rd party head unit that will fit.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you use USB, it's using your iPod's artwork (At least that's my understand with my short experience with the 2014 Corolla with the same headunit as yours). Over BT Audio, it didn't display artwork for me (not even the generic "genre" artwork), so it's possible it's using Gracenotes over BT Audio.