1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth issue on incoming calls

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by cutter44, Dec 12, 2017.

1. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Well, at first I thought it was just a fluke or something I did, but now it's been a problem for a few weeks, so I figured I'd ask here.

The Bluetooth connection for my iPhone has been working fine since I bought this C4 used, a couple of years ago. But for the past few weeks, I'm having issues with receiving calls. Someone will call, the phone will ring through the stereo and display who is calling. I answer via the button on the steering wheel, the phone stops ringing, no one answers, then the audio goes back to the radio or CD or whatever audio had been playing before the call. It looks like it's still connected, as I see the display to end call, transfer to phone, etc., but I can't converse. I've since discovered that the caller can hear me answer, but then it immediately disconnects. I usually then call them back and we can have a normal conversation as if nothing was the matter. As an experiment, the next time it happened, I tried answering by using the touchscreen on the head unit, but the same exact issue occurs, and I have to call them back in order to have a conversation.

As I said, this has been happening for a few weeks now. I don't get a lot of calls, but when I do, it's very frustrating to answer, only to have it immediately disconnect. So in general, the phone works. The Bluetooth works. Calling out works. It seems to be a problem only with the incoming calls.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Have you experimented and had them immediately call back to see if it duplicates the issue, or resolves like when you call back?

I expect it to do the same thing. I had issues with my phone where it would just drop bluetooth in the middle of a call for a while and then recapture it... made it really frustrating telling the caller to hold on for a minute until that happened. I fixed it by restarting my phone and defaulting the car head unit. Don't know which fixed it as I did both at the same time. I'd start with restarting your phone.

3. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just curious - In another thread I posted that my phone now works with Cortana - for texting and calling hands free. His now doesn't work correctly at all. Do the cell providers send out Bluetooth updates to their phones or is that something built into them already? I also wonder this because while speaking about this very topic with a co-worker yesterday, he stated his phone isn't functioning correctly with his Tacoma. (He's on ATT as well). Both of us noticed this change in how our phones are working with our vehicles on the same day.

little tech stupid here - apologies if this makes any of you laugh.

4. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the replies.

After I posted this last night I did a lot more researching (via Google) and as a result, when I got into the car this morning, the first thing I checked was the Bluetooth settings. And I discovered that Bluetooth was Off. Since the time I set up my phone when I bought the car, I don't believe I've ever turned it off. I have used "Disconnect for Music" so that it doesn't start playing stuff as soon as I get in the car, but I've never turned it off for Phone. BTW, I turn off my phone every night, and when I turn it back on in the morning, I make sure that Bluetooth is on.

So after my research, I think I might have an idea what's going on. If Bluetooth is Off in the car, when I get a call, it might be enough to turn Bluetooth on, but not quickly enough for the connection to be made when I answer. Then, because I call the person right back, and Bluetooth is now On, the call goes through. I'm going to have to try experimenting a little to see if this could be the case. I'll also check the Bluetooth settings tomorrow morning to see if it turned itself back Off in the car.

Like I said, I don't remember this ever happening in the past; it's a fairly recent occurrence.

5. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Try doing what is in this video. Guy is from Toyota Bedford - and it's very easy to do..

6. cutter44

cutter44 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks. I did the unpair and re-pair of my phone, but I'll take another look at the rest of those settings.