1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth Motorola V710 phone for Verizon due in August

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Johno, Jul 28, 2004.

1. michelle

michelle New Member

One note about pricing: If you're eligible for the "free every two" discount of $100, you can get that discount only through a Verizon store; Radio Shack and other contractors do not participate in that program.

If you buy the phone under that program, your net cost (before taxes) is $149 (assuming that Verizon charges the same $319 that Radio Shack does.

2. BlackbirdCPA

BlackbirdCPA New Member

How ar eyou able to input numbers and such using the v710? If you can't transfer the phone book, wouldn't you be stuck setting your One-Touch Dials to numbers you have called by entering them manually or numbers who have called you? You wouldn't be able to enter names and therefore, while you're driving, you would have to remember where everyone is on the One-Touches because none of the numbers show up on the screen while the car is in motion. You could also not change any numbers unless you called it or they called you? How is this a viable solution? Please let me know ASAP if anyone can get it to work well because after finding out that we couldn't transfer the phone book and therefore I would have no way to enter numbers or change numbers, I went and signed up with Suncom and got the v600 which works BEAUTIFULLY. I get a great signal and I can transfer the phone book. However, I still have a month on my Verizon contract and my husband is with Verizon and they do have better national coverage so it would be cheaper and better for me to be with verizon and sharing a line then us both being on separate carriers. However, if there isn't a way to get the names and numbers into the car, I just don't see how the v710 will work for me. I don't want to only be able to receive calls, I want to make them too.

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If the Prius can accept a phonebook, why can't it be entered manually? Do they not provide SOME sort of name/number entry?

I never played with the phone stuff due to lack of Bluetooth phone, but this sounds like a playdate I'll have to make...

4. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hey, has anyone ever tried to sync the Prius to a computer for file transfer, like to get a phonebook transferred?

I saw several USB Bluetooth adapters in CompUSA that had 100 meter ranges, but I'm not sure if I'll ever need one except for this specific task...

5. BlackbirdCPA

BlackbirdCPA New Member

I tried to enter numbers manually and you can't. The only options under "Phone Book" are to change your One Touch Dials. You can only transfer in a phone book. I looked in the manual and it never says you can manually enter anything, only transfer the phone book. That's why I'm thinking I'm going to keep my v600 and Suncom since the v710 really doesn't work well with the Prius with the crippled Bluetooth.

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OR, you can cancel Suncom and use the V600 to prime the car for the V710 to be the primary phone. Maintaining the phonebook in both phones can't be THAT much of a hassle.

Wait. I have maybe 4 people I call regularly, so I'm not a good example.

Still, if someone can test if a V600 (or any uncrippled Bluetooth phone) without current service can talk to a Prius enough to do the phonebook maintenance, it might be a tool to get...

7. michelle

michelle New Member

I wonder, if you have a laptop (e.g., iBook or PowerBook) with a synchronization software package (e.g., iSynch) if you can upload a phone book from the computer to the Prius.

8. BlackbirdCPA

BlackbirdCPA New Member

I already had a phone book in my car from my Cingular T616. However, even with the phone book already in there, I couldn't make changes to it. So, if someone changed their number or I wanted to add someone, I couldn't without calling them/them calling me and then not having a name associated with a space. I couldn't cancel Suncom without giving the phone back or paying full retail for it, which is in the $400 range. So, I would be spending $550 on phones. That's a bit of a waste. Verizon isn't that good. I get a good signal with Suncom and my friend in town uses it and goes to all the out of state football games and has never had a problem.

9. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was just contemplating the development costs of a Prius phonebook updater.

Some sort of 'database' app that would query out the existing phonebook on demand, and put back the updated version.

All I'd need to start is a Bluetooth adapter strong enough to talk to the car where I can park it, and some idea of how the Prius talks to Bluetooth phones now. Knowledge is hopefully cheaper than hardware.

(It would be Windows to start: I'm still a lemming for Microsoft.)

Not sure there's a NEED for this if phones like the V710 get fixed, so that's why cost is important. The new house is coming...

10. michelle

michelle New Member

Existing software may already do it. I can speak only about the Mac, though. (I'm a lemming for Jobs.)

I currently have a Motorola V60i (which doesn't have bluetooth, of course). I can connect the phone to a USB port on the mac, and run iSych (which comes with the Mac); it will automatically synchronize the computer's address book with the phone's, and if I wish, do the same for the calendars. If the Prius's software is compatible, the Mac and the Prius should synch without any problems.

But I don't have a laptop Mac, just an iMac, so I can't test it. For that matter, I don't have the bluetooth module for the Mac yet.

11. BlackbirdCPA

BlackbirdCPA New Member

The Prius acts as a hands free device. I don't know/think you can sync a hands free device and a PC.

Off topic, mikepaul you sound a lot like my friend Tate (who drives another blue Prius in Cola and also just bought a house) and my husband, who are both computer science geeks :) What you're doing in Cola is eyond me. My husband graduates this Dec in comp sci and we're moving so he can find a decent job.

12. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was told you "can't" make an Apache webserver work in a case-insensitive mode like a Windows webserver, but http://www.mikepaul.com shows that I can, at least well enough for me.

I figure I'll run into a real can't someday, but maybe this is another can project...

13. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  14. BlackbirdCPA

BlackbirdCPA New Member

I don't think Verizon is going to allow the phone to transfer things off using Bluetooth. The reason is because they want to sell the ability to get things off (pictures, music) through their Get It Now. Oh well, I hope they do fix it for everyone but I think I do like my v600 just fine. I'm not sure what functionality PhoneScoop was talking about. They don't always have the best posts.

15. Prophet

Prophet New Member

Will it work??

Had big problems with the Motorola V600 until AT&T replaced it with an updated version.
    Check with www.letstalk.com to be sure.

16. BlackbirdCPA

BlackbirdCPA New Member

Re: Will it work??

Where on www.letstalk.com should I look? I technicallu have Suncom. The phone seems to work great. I got it last Friday and it was the bundle with the headset. They don't sell the phone by itself anymore. If they did an update, you would think that the one I got Friday would have it. What problems did you have?

17. edrum

edrum New Member

18. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm giving the v710 from Radio Shack a 30 day trial. Nothing new to add here, really - but my experience has been as follows:

1. No, you can't upload the phonebook or individual phone numbers to the prius. I hope they'll fix this when they patch the phone. I have a Sony Ericsson T608 so I have phone numbers in my Prius phone book.

2. The pairing between the v710 & the Prius seems to be quicker and more reliable than the t608.

3. The voice quality on the other end seems roughly equivalent, though I haven't tested this very much yet.

4. The signal strength doesn't show on the Prius for the v710 (works for t608) - not a big deal.

5. Neither the car or the phone ring for an incoming call.

19. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

I spoke with a Motorola rep and they are preparing a software update for sometime in September that will "cure" these defects.

20. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I noticed something else that *may* be cool when/if they fix the issue with transferring contacts/phone book data.

The phone seems to treat the different phone numbers for the same person as different entries. It's only idle speculation at this point, but I wonder if they'll all transfer to the Prius? Of course on the Prius side, *IF* that did work, you'd still have multiple entries with the same name, but different phone numbers to contend with ...