1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth Motorola V710 phone for Verizon due in August

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Johno, Jul 28, 2004.

1. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

transferring phone books

I have been able to transfer an Outlook Express address book from my bluetooth laptop into the Prius phonebook. Telephone numbers have to be stripped of any formatting or else they will look like 1|||||||||||| instead of 18183235555. At this point I am fairly sure the Prius never shows a formatted number or has some weird rules about it. When you travel 5 mph and above the numbers drop out of the 1 touch dial buttons anyway. I have also transferred contacts out of an ipaq h4150 but I cannot disable telephone number formatting in the Contacts app, so the numbers are useless.

2. BlackbirdCPA

BlackbirdCPA New Member

Could you give what you used to transfer the phone book, along with some more specific details on how you did it? I have a laptop, and I don't think the USB Bluetooth adaptors are that expensive. If it isn't that difficult, I might consider switching to the V710.

3. billyb

billyb New Member

If you wait a month it may not be necessary. Motorola has verbally indicated that they are aware of the phonebook transfer problem as well as the incoming audible alert problem. Their software people are working on it now and plan on having a flash software fix in early september. Aside from these problems the phone is outstanding and I would reccommend it.

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Motorola phones (that I've used) tend to have relatively poor battery life (I'm a Nokia GSM user - so I compare to that). Is the V710 any better than 24-36 hours before needing a charge with mild daily use?

5. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was told lithium-ion batteries thrive on nightly recharges anyway. I've done that with every cellphone I've owned, since none had ni-cads. So I guess I'll be OK with 24 hours.

All I need now is a cheap way to get a V710 before next March and I'll be all set...

6. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    GSM phones in general do have better battery life than CDMA phones.

7. billyb

billyb New Member

V710 Battery Life

I've had my V710 about two weeks now . As suggested by motorola I let it run down to recharge Now about 3 times before charging it every night. It held on for about 3 days or 72 hours on standby with moderate use. Not too bad. Waiting for the fix so I can transfer my phonebook to the Prius

8. chgomatt

chgomatt New Member

I, too, am happy with my new V710 overall. However, this business about a "fix" or "software update" to enable transferring the phone book is curious. I just received the following from Verizon in response to my query about this very thing:

"Unfortunately, the Verizon Wireless v710 does not support syncing contacts through Bluetooth. The only Bluetooth functions supported are Wireless Headsets, Handsfree car kits (only for voice calls, not syncing contacts) and Dial-Up Networking functions.

I apologize about any inconvenience this might have caused you."

I have submitted questions about this directly to Motorola but have not yet received a response.

[rant on]....
    Does anyone know for sure that there is (or is not) a "fix", "patch", software/firmware update", etc. in the works that will enable transferring the phone book from V710 to '04 Prius? If so, please cite reliable sources rather than propogate various "rumors" on this and other boards.

I guess I'm the eternal sceptic, but it seems like I have read a lot of "motorola will have a fix in September"-ish threads and following those threads usually leads nowhere. A case of rumor or misinformation repeated often enough becomes fact(?) I hope not.
    [rant off]

Hoping for reliable info,
    Matt
    Temporary transplant from Chicago to Houston (man, it's hot down here!)

9. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

My wife had an LG TM510. So, to start, I used the app DataPilot to eventually create a Prius phone list in Outlook Express Address Book. Since you can't do anything with the v710, you might have to create your list manually. I edited the list there and after a lot of trial and error found that the numbers had to be stripped of all telephone type formats. Once your list is ready, you need the v710 to have a successful bluetooth connection with the Prius. Have the phone list open on the laptop and select all the contacts in the list or just the ones you want to transfer. In the Prius go to the phone screens and select Settings>Start Transfer. You will be prompted to start the transfer from your mobile phone. At this point go to the Outlook Express window on the laptop, select Action>Send to Bluetooth>Bluetooth Handsfree (You will have previously paired the phone with the laptop, right?) The transfer will start and the computer will prompt you for the PIN. Input 1212. The transfer may or may not resume. If it doesn't just initiate it again from the Prius, follow the same procedure and this time it will transfer. Now that you have entries in the phone book you can add or delete. Just follow the same procedure, but now you will be offered the opportunity to 'Overwrite' or 'Add'. Beware, overwrite replaces the entire phone list. If you get the message: 'Check your mobile phone' at the beginning of the transfer, you do not have a sucessful bluetooth connection between Prius and phone. It really sounds more difficult than it is.

At least in the near future we will probably be able to sync the v710 using a USB cable and the app mobile PhoneTools. I am currently trying to get BVRP to tell me why Bluetooth syncing isn't happening with their app. You may be able to use a USB cable now, I just don't have the correct cable at this time and don't want to buy one if the Bluetooth ability becomes functional.

I have a D-Link Bluetooth USB dongle from OfficeMax, around $45? I'm sure they could be had cheaper. Easy install. Will work for bluetooth printing and PDA syncing, et al.

10. chgomatt

chgomatt New Member

Here's an update on the phone book issue. I received the following response to my question submitted via the Motorola email support site:

Response (Frank F.) 08/11/2004 07:45 PM
    Dear Mr. Matt,

Thanks for contacting Motorola E-mail Support Division,

Regarding your question, I apologize for the inconveniences you are experiencing. In this particular case you will need live troubleshooting with our Software Support agents. Please contact our Software Support division at 1-877-331-6456 directly at ext. 2237. Our operation hours are from 8 am to 7 pm CST.

Please visit our web site: http://www.motorola.com and check our latest products.

Thanks for choosing Motorola.

Best regards,
    Auto-Response 08/11/2004 11:14 AM
    So I called first thing this morning using the BT connection in the Prius (great connection and no problems with the sound) and spoke with Luis, emp #3483. He told me that the phone currently does not have the ability to transfer the phone book (or any other data, for that matter) to any other device. He said that Motorola is aware of this and is "aggressively working on a software update which should be available end of August or early September."

Said software update will be available through Verizon and they (Verizon) will notify their customers as to availability. The actual update will have to be done at a Verizon store where they will "reprogram the phone's software".

While I realize that others have been posting for several days that a software "fix" is in the works, nobody has cited any authority in the matter. If anyone else out there is as sceptical as me, I hope I have provided sufficient documentation of Motorola's awareness of and response to the problem.

So it's back to waiting (appropriate? did someone mention Deja Vu?), but there's light at the end of the tunnel.

BTW, I still really like this phone even if I have to stop and manually input the #'s in order to make a call. Still getting used to all of the features (it's a little different than my 5 y/o StarTac....)

Gotta love this car! It gets better every day!
    Matt

11. Lectricar

Lectricar New Member

You can do what I've been doing since i bought the phone..just call up the number on the phone phonebook and press the send button on the phone.

12. chgomatt

chgomatt New Member

Cool! Thanks for the tip. Does that work while the car's in motion? Might be better than having the #'s in the Prius.

13. billyb

billyb New Member

Using V710 in Moving Pris

YES ! It does work while the car is moving. , Just select your call from the V710 phonebook, press send on the V710 and it will connect immediately to the Prius. assuming ofcourse that there has been a successful bluetooth connection. It works very well but BE CAREFUL doing this while driving !! Incidently, I also wanted to get the official word on the phonebook transfer fix from Motorola. I spoke with their Service rep Ian (employee # 3381) who also advised and confirmed what Matt wrote that the "Fix" is in the works and that Verizon will be doing it at their service sites. He indicated that they should perform this fix at no charge even if you purchased it at Radio Shack. Thanks Matt , Lectric car, and all others for the fine information.
    billyb

14. billyb

billyb New Member

Toyota reply to V710 problem

This is the reply I just recieved from Toyota. I guess their saying you can only enter numbers in the "one Touch" system which we already knew. Apparently Motorola will have to fix the ringer or give you an option not to disable it hen it is bluetooth connected to the Prius. Here is their response:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We apologize for the delay in answering your inquiry regarding operating your bluetooth telephone with your Prius.

You may verify your telephone’s compatibility on the Toyota Letstalk.com website.

The system will allow entry of previously received or previously dialed telephone numbers through the “One Touch†system in your “Settings†display. Please refer to the “Hands-free system†section in your Navigation System Owner’s Manual.

The Prius bluetooth system is designed to allow your bluetooth telephone to operate as normal; therefore, allowing your bluetooth telephone to ring rather than the vehicle itself.

You may consider setting your telephone’s ring volume to “high†to allow for better notification of incoming calls.

We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us. Your email is documented at our National Headquarters under file #200408111299.

Toyota Customer Experience

15. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I talked to Verizon today.

My options are to wait until next March to get the phone at the then-current upgrade price minus the $100 New Every Two credit, or I can move to a new 2-year contract for $50/month plan now and qualify for the current best price of $249 after rebate. An extra $10 per month, for even more minutes I won't use.

I'd really like to make full use of my car's features, but I'm thinking it'll be next year...

16. michelle

michelle New Member

That's essentially what they told me, except that my wait is only until Sept 1 of this year (i.e., about two to three weeks). My plan already costs me $50, so that wasn't an issue.

Maybe by the time I get the phone, the software upgrade will have been released.

17. billyb

billyb New Member

V710

Hi Mifepaul
    Are you saying that Verizon will not put in the Motorola fix for existing V710's that is supposed to come in sept ?? Motorola has told me that Verizon will install the fix at their sites when available !! Can you clarify..
    billyb

18. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Re: V710

My post was just me whining about the cost of getting a V710 now as opposed to waiting.

If there' really a fix and it's scheduled for September, nothing I heard says that won't come off.

Heck, by next March maybe 12 different software revisions will make it the Greatest Phone Ever Known. Certainly worth waiting for... :roll:

19. Henry

Henry New Member

I think I'll just wait till next year when the phone drops to $50:D

20. BlackbirdCPA

BlackbirdCPA New Member

Ok, I relented and took back my v600 to Suncom and got a v710 from Verizon. Other than the known problems with transferring the phone book (I will transfer via laptop if I need to change my phone book) and the lack of ability to see signal, etc on the Prius screen, the only things I don't like about the phone are the fact that the screen/camera doesn't seem very clear. In that, I mean the pictures I take don't look as sharp on the phone as the ones I took with my v600. They seem dark and grainy, like a bad video camera. My husband says this is because it has less resolution than my v600. Either way, the pictures when viewed on the phone are not as sharp. I've seen where people have taken the pictures off the phone and they look great but for picture caller id and the wallpaper, they suck. Also, the phone goes into battery save pretty quick. When it does, the outside screen goes off. You can't see whether it is charging, the time, the signal, or anything without opening the phone so it comes out of standby. Slightly annoying but that's it. It will also do this while you are talking so if you take the phone off your ear to look, say, at how long you've been talking, the screen will be black. There may be a way to disable or slow this, I'll have to see. The phone is larger than the v600 and the keys are a little odd in that the side numbers (like 1 and 3) go slightly under the middle number (2). I think this is supposed to look cool. I find it harder to press the 2. I also have to really plug it in hard to get it to connect to the charger. I knew more about the phone than the Verizon rep who sold it to me so I guess I'll have to keep checking the forums to know when the update is out.