1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth phone book transfer using a laptop

Discussion in 'The File Library' started by wesj49, Dec 15, 2004.

1. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

Instructions for transfering contacts to Prius using Bluetooth laptop.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

Re: Bluetooth phone book transfer

Has anyone figured out how to transfer the contact list from a Nokia 6230 to the 2005 Prius?

I have a successful BlueTooth connection, but the Prius manual says to initiate the transfer from the phone... And the phone manual doesn't say anything about how to transfer contact data via Bluetooth!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

This is a large Word doc Bluetooth tutorial for Verizon v710 owners using a laptop, a d-link Bluetooth adapter and Outlook Express to transfer a phone book into the Prius phone system. This is the same file as in the Yahoo Prius-2G file area.

4. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

I did finally figure this out (no thanks to Nokia support or the manual).

You have to do them ONE AT A TIME. (Yes, this stinks...)

1. On the Nokia 6230, you bring up the contact you want to transfer.
    2. On the Car, go into the phone screen, and choose settings, then Transfer Data. It will tell you to go to the phone and initiate the transfer.
    3. On the phone, choose options, then Send Business Card, then via Bluetooth.
    4. Now here's the weird thing. The phone must first DISCONNECT from the car (it will ask you), so say YES. Then it will re-find the car again. Choose the car when it stops searching.
    5. The contact will transfer over (hopefully).

It's not real smooth or fast, but it does work. I only ended up transfering over about 20 people, because the procedure was just too cumbersome.

Hope this is helpful! :)

5. jayfinke

jayfinke New Member

That's exactly how I did it with my Motorola v600. I didn't see that 'Send Business Card' message(it was something else),but otherwise it was pretty much as you described, which I,like you, discovered by trial and error. BTW I have a new BMW 330i, and the whole phonebook transfers automatically, without any input from me, each time I get in the car. Go figure. The BMW's nav system is a disgrace, and the Prius has the Lexus system which is as good as it gets. Ya win some and ya lose some.

6. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I'm not sure I quite understand how this works. Is the v710 necessary? Can't the laptop just directly pair with the Prius? I could kind of see that maybe the only way to pair would be to simultaneously pair Handsfree and OBEX Object Push, but it doesn't seem to make much sense that it would allow you to pair these to two separate devices with different IDs and whatnot.

Anyone try this with another bluetooth adapter or phone, specifically the BlackBerry 7100t? It seems to me that this should work for any Bluetooth adapter and any Bluetooth Handsfree phone (assuming the phone is a necessary part of the equation).

7. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I purchased a Kensington Bluetooth USB adapter last night and experimented with my BlackBerry 7100t. This method sort of works for me, but I encountered a couple of problems.

I am only able to send one phone entry at a time. If I send multiple phone entries, then one after the first fails and I get stuck on the "Please send Phone Book from the phone" screen where the "Cancel" button is greyed out and I have to turn the car off then back on to work again.

I'm wondering if my single phone entry limitation is related to the software version.

8. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryogajyc\";p=\"104413)</div>
    My instructions are specifically for v710 phones and d-link BT adapters. I came up with this because I own a Verizon v710 which does not support Obex and I wanted phone numbers with names.

If you don't get the concept that the laptop is never paired with the Prius (and never will be) and the phone (having been previously setup to work with the Prius system) only needs to be present and connected, you won't be able to make this work. At its simplest level, you are sending a contact list from the laptop while the Prius is set to receive a list as if it were being the phone.

9. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ryogajyc\";p=\"104799)</div>
    Your method did not work with my v710 and laptop with a d-link adapter. The software is the same but I could not get a successful transfer.

One reason why I prefer my method, which is pretty simple once you get through the initial setup, is your step 11.

If I had one of the BT phones that only sent one contact at a time, I would still use the method that will transfer an entire phone book in a single tranfer. I use Phonebook 2 in the Prius for phone numbers to be used on specific trips, eg. hotels, people and places of special interest, etc that will all be dumped at a later date.

10. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I edited my post above since more experimentation today proved that I was wrong about the Business Card Exchange.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wesj49\";p=\"104865)</div>
    I understand that your method is specific b/c that's what you've tested with, but in theory any Bluetooth phone and adapter should work and I think I've sort of proven that by using a different Bluetooth adapter and phone.

I think you are incorrect about the the laptop never pairing with the Prius. It must, because that is the only way two Bluetooth devices can communicate is if they are paired. If you search for local devices and see the handsfree of the Prius show up and right-click it there is a menu option that says unpair, meaning the laptop and Prius are indeed paired. I think the phone must first be paired, b/c the Prius has some check that in order to receive a phone entry, it must be paired with a phone b/c it is expecting the phone to be sending the phone entry. Fortunately, the Prius doesn't or can't check that the paired phone and OBEX pusher are actually one and the same device. Thus the laptop can be used in lieu of the phone as the OBEX pusher.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wesj49\";p=\"104880)</div>
    Your method only allows me to transfer one phone book entry at a time as well. If I select multiple contacts and send them to Bluetooth then, the first one succeeds, and the rest fail. I'm also then in a state where I can no longer send any phone entries until I power cycle the car. The dialog box when it fails is titled "Bluetooth" with the message "The request could not be honored".

Thanks for posting the doc; I've been looking for a way to do this for a long time. It's been frustrating not being able to the Prius phone book and proper one-touch dialing. The work around to use incoming and outgoing logs to setup one-touch dialing seemed kind of buggy (the numbers would disappear sometimes and there were never any names, of course).

11. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

The software version I'm running is 3.0.1.914 which I believe is the WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software stack (not the driver). What D-Link Bluetooth adapter are you using? I'm assuming DBT-120, but I don't know what hardware revision. I suppose alternatively, you could be using the DWB-120M. I suspect you are able to do multiple phone entry transfers and I am not b/c of either the Bluetooth Software stack version or the hardware.

12. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

Joe,

I'm using the DBT-120 but I think the problem of being unable to transfer a whole or partial contacts list is that you aren't getting the OBEX file transfer established as per my instructions. I think I could also do the business card transfer if I took the time to established that functionality on the laptop.

I was thinking about the 'pairing' issue and I think we're both right. Basically the laptop is half paired with the Prius. A better way of thinking about it might be that the laptop is never 'registered' on the Prius system as is the cell phone.

13. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Hey Wes,

How do you tell if the OBEX file transfer is established? If you mean having an icon under My Bluetooth Places, I have one called "INTEGRATED HANDSFREE OBEX Object Push(Send)". I changed the name of the handsfree to INTEGRATED HANDSFREE, BTW.

Yeah, I think we both mean the same thing, but just got a bit muddled on the terminology. The laptop sees the Prius as a handset, but the Prius does not see the laptop except when pushing phone entries.

I'm assuming that to transfer multiple contacts, you Ctrl-click to select several entries in the address book and then right-click and Send to Bluetooth, etc. after you hit Start Transfer and Overwrite/Add on the Prius. Is that correct?

I found a program called Spylite that comes with the the WIDCOMM software which appears to basically output a trace of what the Bluetooth adapter/software is doing. You should be able to find it the same folder as the installer for the WIDCOMM software. The suspicous part of the log has this:

00:43:07.702 OppApp::dtor: this 0x1fb53d0
    00:43:07.712 SDP_IF - Read Thread Exit
    00:43:07.732 SENDTO: CBtOPPTransferDlg::OnPushComplete() called
    00:43:07.732 SENDTO: OnPush: failed transferring the file <> - FTP server not found
    00:43:09.524 --
    00:43:09.524 RCVD Event from HCI. Name: HCI_Disconnection_Complete (Hex Code: 0x05 Param Len: 4)

Note the fail transferring the file part. I really don't know how to read this log without any expertise on the Bluetooth stack, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

I think I'm going to see if I can locate a D-Link DBT-120 or another Bluetooth adapter to see if I have better luck. I tried installing the WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software stack that D-Link provides for the DBT-120, but it would not recognize my Kensington Bluetooth USB adapter.

14. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

Joe,

Yes, to send multiple contacts you can shift-click or ctrl-click to select the entries you want to send.

In my My Bluetooth Places I have a BLUETOOTH HANDS FREE entry which has an icon labelled "BLUETOOTH HANDS FREE OBEX Object Push"

How is the Blackberry paired with the Prius? Isn't it BLUETOOTH HANDS FREE? I don't why you would have this INTEGRATED HANDSFREE. Will your Blackberry pair with Prius as a BLUETOOTH HANDS FREE device?

15. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Wes,

INTEGRATED HANDSFREE is the name I chose on the Prius. It shows up as this both on my BlackBerry and on my laptop. It may default to BLUETOOTH HANDS FREE, but I don't remember. You can change this setting by going to Info button > Telephone > Settings > "down arrow" > Settings (next to Bluetooth) > Change (next to Device Name).

It should be equivalent to your BLUETOOTH HANDS FREE. I chose this, b/c it seemed a bit more fitting than the generic names HANDS FREE, BLUETOOTH HANDS FREE, or WIRELESS HANDS FREE. ADVANCED HF SYSTEM was also another possibility, but it didn't quite seem to deserve the adjective advanced. :p

16. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

Joe,

Don't you think Bluetooth Hands Free is more appropriate than Integrated Hands Free? I always assumed that these designations were more than just names. Go figure.

17. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

Wes,

Not really. Otherwise, I would have left it that way. It just seems like that would describe any Bluetooth handset, not one that is integrated into the car. But that's just my opinion.

18. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I purchased a D-Link DBT-120 rev. B4 USB Bluetooth Adapter and was able to get multiple phone entry transfers working. Apparently, the Kensington Bluetooth USB Adapter just doesn't cut it. FYI, I'm using a BlackBerry 7100t as my paired Bluetooth phone.

The biggest problem I had was getting the software (1.4.2 Build 10) working under Windows XP Pro SP2. First off, I usually download the drivers from a manufacturer's website in order to ensure that I'm running the latest drivers/software. This actually backfired on me b/c the version on the website seems to have some licensing problem and constantly gave me a "Valid security code not found" error. Installing from the CD (which turns out had the same 1.4.2 Build 10 version) fixed this. SP2 also causes problems since it installs Microsoft's Bluetooth stack by default which does not seem to have a way to transfer business cards/phone entries (I tried). Read on how to fix it here:
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dbt120_revB4...de_winxpsp2.pdf

After getting that to work, this is my slightly modified version of Wes's instructions, which I think is a bit simpler.

Initial Pairing Instructions:
    1) Setup your Outlook Address book with your phone entries. Characters for names are limited, so I use Name(h/w/m) where h/w/m represents home/work/mobile.
    2) If you just installed the WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software (otherwise skip to 3), right-click the Bluetooth tray icon and left-click "Start using Bluetooth". Keep clicking Next until you get a Skip button and click that. Then Next/Finish.
    3) Turn on the Prius, and wait for a "Bluetooth Connection Successful".
    5) Go to Info button > Telephone > Settings > Down arrow > Start Transfer. Select Overwrite or Add.
    6) Right-click the Bluetooth tray icon > Quick Connect > Business Card Exchange.
    7) After the Prius handsfree is discovered (it will be named whatever you selected in the Bluetooth settings), double-click the device. You can choose to try to send a business card at this point, but cancel.
    8) A balloon should pop up saying the Prius handsfree is trying to connect. Type your passkey in the appropriate field and hit OK. This should create a shortcut in My Bluetooth Places.
    9) Select what phone entries you want to send in your Outlook Express Address Book, right-click the entries > Action > Send To Bluetooth > [Prius Handsfree Name]. The entries should successfully transfer.

Transferring Entries After Initial Pairing:
    1) Turn on car and wait for Prius to pair to phone.
    2) Go to Info button > Telephone > Settings > Down arrow > Start Transfer. Select Overwrite or Add.
    3) Select what phone entries you want to send in your Outlook Express Address Book, right-click the entries > Action > Send To Bluetooth > [Prius Handsfree Name]. The entries should successfully transfer.

If at any time the phone gets disconnected (it needs to be connected when you hit Start Transfer on the Prius), you can go to Info button > Telephone > Settings > Down arrow > Select Phone. Then select your phone. This is a bit faster than power-cycling the Prius, but sometimes I haven't been able to connect this way either (it may be b/c my 7100t thinks it's still connected or something and I need to disconnect it) and I end up power-cycling the Prius.

I hope that helps.

Wes, it still bothers me a bit that you couldn't get the Prius to pair using the Business Card Exchange method. Our setups should be essentially the same at this point. You also never replied as to what revision of the DBT-120 you are using and what version of software. I think it would be good idea to keep track of what works and what does not. I'll start.

Works w/ multiple entries at a time:
    D-Link DBT-120 rev. B4 (latest) USB Bluetooth Adapter w/ 1.4.2 Build 10 software

Works w/ single entry at a time:
    Kensington Bluetooth USB Adapter w/ 3.0.1.914 software

19. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

Joe,
    I can and have transfered contacts using the Business card setup with my laptop and my ipaq PDA. I didn't and won't bother to get that process happening again because I prefer transfering with the setup I have already established. I am using the DBT-120 rev B adapter and the same software. However I do not have a "Start Using Bluetooth" when I right click the system tray BT icon. Maybe that option shows up when you have a brand clean Bluetooth system or something.

I hope that you understand that you don't have to do everything in my instructions each time you attempt a phone book transfer. After initially setting things up, all you do is go into the car with the phone and laptop, start the transfer from the Prius and send the contacts from the laptop after entering 1212.

At any rate, I don't plan on making a career out of transfering phone books to the Prius. Some folks were emailing me about this problem and I realized that my first instructions were woefully inadequate and thus the next version. At some point I hope to have a Verizon BT phone that will transfer phone numbers by itself. So, have fun discovering new ways to use BT and the Prius.

20. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Get the latest Widcomm 4 BT stack software from |here| and follow the instructions on patching it to disable the license check.

There seems to be an even newer version |available here|.

This will work for almost ALL BT usb adaptors out there which use the Widcomm software/drivers, and for some reason (at least for D-Link) whom haven't updated the driver software for a year+ since after Widcomm got bought by Broadcom.

There are KNOWN BT security vulnerabilities (hijacking, inserting viruses, etc) that's in the ~1.4.2 software which the 4.x will fix too.

I haven't tested it, but there's supposed to be more profiles available which might help with the bt transfers to the Prius.

Personally I don't consider the Prius to have good enough BT or phonebook software to even bother. My phone is so much better for hand-held or voice dialing, AND doesn't lock me out when I'm driving.

I have patches to the .inf file for the D-Link DBT-120 so it 'names' the device properly when installing the driver, if you need it.