1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth phone book transfer using a laptop

Discussion in 'The File Library' started by wesj49, Dec 15, 2004.

1. DanP

DanP Member

Ironic, in my case, since I switched from Sprint to Verizon at the same time that I bought my Treo. Sprint also has a much cheaper data plan. I sure timed that one wrong.

2. PSean

PSean New Member

I Just got an email from fmicky that clarified the issue. I transfered the Contacts.vcf to the car and it works great. Thanks again! The problem I was having was that it appeared there was only one contact because I was opening the file with outlook. When I used notepad as instructed all of the contacts were listed. Also as a side note, the Contacts.vcf is located in the my documents folder.

3. Bigsk8r

Bigsk8r New Member

Well, I have to say that this link has been the most helpful one for me yet. Thank you all for all of the great ideas.

Given that my address book would have to be about 1100 contacts to handle all of my professional business, I went with enough to fill the one-touch memories so that I can access them while driving. Even if I did mod the thing to use the phonebook while in motion, how practical would it be to search for one out of 950 names while driving? No way.

I used the Kensington Bluetooth adapter running on my Win 2000 Dell C840 and had no problems at all. I did not even have to restart the car or anything.

Thanks again,

Larry

4. waynek

waynek New Member

There is another way to create vcard files from Outlook - the vcard wizard that is available here: http://vcardwizard.4team.biz/ . I had to use this as my Notebook PC does not have Outlook/Outlook Express installed as it is a corporate issue and we use Notes rather than Outlook. So I generated the vcard files from my home PC and copied them to the Notebook and used the method described above. FYI - the trial (i.e. free) edition of this software will only export 5 contacts at a time.

By the way - my car is a 2006 RX400h and my phone is a Rogers Blackberry 7290 but everything described here worked fine which isn't surprising as the Nav systems appear to be identical. I hope you folks don't mind - at least I own a hybrid!

5. HeidiRN1

HeidiRN1 New Member

Does anyone know how to transfer the address book from the Motorola Rzr to the Prius. I already have a connection but I can't upload the contact list. And I have received no help from Toyota or Verizon. I think I'm too dumb to own this smart alec car! Please send me an e-mail at [email protected].

6. nasafella

nasafella New Member

Howdy folks.

New member here....

Has anyone made this work on a 2006 Prius?

When I try to send the .vcf file over, I get a "an invalid argument was supplied" error message.
    I"m only trying to send one entry. Format looks the same as the example earlier in this thread

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NASA guy @ Jul 26 2006, 01:37 PM) [snapback]292742[/snapback]</div>
    It is not as critical to be able to avail oneself to using this method if you have a 2006, since you can manually enter contacts into the car's phone book. There was no such manual option in 04 and 05; the only practical way to populate the phone book was by using the OBEX profile of the phone or tricking the car into receiving it from a bluetooth equipped laptop computer.

8. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Heidi @ Jun 5 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]266397[/snapback]</div>

try this:

http://priuschat.com/lofiversion/index.php/t6017.html

It worked for my 2005 and Verizon E815 using outlook express

9. Moby Whaley

Moby Whaley Junior Member

Has anyone figured out how to upload the Motorola Q address book to a Prius 04.

10. bad monkey

bad monkey New Member

As I said in another topic, Verizon's version of the Motoroa Razor does NOT support the Bluetooth OPP (Object Push Profile), therefore, no movement of address book. I have the same issue.

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bad monkey @ Aug 1 2006, 10:55 AM) [snapback]295758[/snapback]</div>
    That was my impression too; however, last time that I posted this opinion I was corrected by another poster who claimed that a firmware update has resolved this issue. Not being a Verizon subscriber with a RAZR, I am unable to check it out.

12. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 1 2006, 01:25 PM) [snapback]295857[/snapback]</div>

I visited with my local Verizon company store tech and he claimed that no such software upgrade was available. He kept talking about security issues and Paris Hilton's pilfered contact list :huh: This was a month ago or so. I guess I'll try again.

Here's an interesting sidelight to this issue. I was in my local Radio Shack playing with the TomTom 910's Bluetooth functions. I had my Verizon e815 hooked up and running easily, no manual, just playing. For grins I tried to upload my contacts---and in a few seconds I'm standing there with all my phone numbers in the store's demo unit. Gulp! I was able to delete the whole list just about as fast. But the point here is...and I am no fan of Verizon mind you...this problem belongs as much to Toyota and Denso as Verizon since it is possible for a nav bluetooth system to grab your list out of the phone. Are you listening Toyota? Which I guess also ignites the security issue that Verizon is so famous for worrying about.

13. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wesj49 @ Aug 1 2006, 06:50 PM) [snapback]296022[/snapback]</div>
    wesj49:

Thanks for posting the Verizon/V710+laptop procedures a while back.

I keep pointing people to it :)

Any advice for the E815, or updates to your original?

14. wesj49

wesj49 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Aug 1 2006, 07:09 PM) [snapback]296027[/snapback]</div>
    e815 is a better phone than the v710 and IMHO better than the RAZR (which my wife has) because it is not ruined by the Verizon interface. I've done the seem edits on both phones which allows BT interface with a computer using Mobile Phone Tools which is convenient but not a necessity.

As far as the contact list uploading goes, I went to the vCard method but have found that the uploading problem has really only been important to us in the early stages of ownership. Once I established our phone list, we have had little need to change it and of course you can delete without the phone. I upload so infrequently that I will have to relearn the process next time I'm sure.

15. jmresch

jmresch New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wesj49 @ Dec 15 2004, 06:51 PM) [snapback]57754[/snapback]</div>
    Would someone mind re-posting the "phone_book_transfer_instr.doc" again? The file does not seem to exist anymore.

I have a RAZR with Verizon and it won't transfer my contacts unless I use USB to my laptop. I wonder if this will work for me.

Thanks,
    Josh

16. jcy91403

jcy91403 Spectra Blue

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi all,

I have a Verizon Wireless Casio G'zOne Type S Phone. I'm having trouble using the bluetooth phone book transfer. Any suggestions, other than having to type each contact individually?

Can I download my phone book to my computer via USB, and then upload to the car?

Thanks for your help!

Jen

17. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found this shareware program and was able to get my contacts on my prius after making a .vcf file, using my laptop.

jam' GPL Software

18. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wow, Boppo, that looks like what I need.

Of course, now I just need a bluetooth enabled laptop.
    Does this work on a MacBook? Perhaps I can "borrow" my wife's one day when she's at work.

19. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II

TonyPSchaefer,
    I can't tell you for sure about mac but after hours of trying this program did it for me in a pc laptop. :)

20. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I tried this program and was able to rip my outlook contacts fine. But when I tried to connect to the Prius to send the file, my laptop can see the Prius Handsfree but the Prius can't see my laptop. Thus no connection.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 w/ Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator.

Any help would be appreciated.