1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by swordds, Jan 31, 2014.

1. swordds

swordds New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just bought a 3013 Prius (we have less than 1,500 miles) and our Bluetooth won't stay connected on either my wife's Droid Razor M or my iPhone 4S. It seems to be getting worse as time goes on and to reconnect Bluetooth the car must be stopped and restarted. Anyone else having similar problems?

iPhone ?

2. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yes we all have that problem of needing the car to come to a complete stop and that is for security purposes so your navigation phone calls made the Bluetooth all that you have to stop the car for the phone issuehave someone at toyota do it for you the first I just watch them, it's simple

Congrats on the new whip :)

your warranty covers any issues with your radio engine transmission for the first two thousand miles so you're definitely covered now is the time to get all that straight take it in. Tell him you're not happy or you're confused and they will solve your problem you can go to any Toyota dealershipyou also can look online on YouTube and see if there's anything about Bluetooth activation through now have on a Prius

#2 matt b., Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  3. swordds

swordds New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It is the music that is a problem as well as the phone (haven't tried anything else) and the music just stops and it says "loading" but it never a does and you don't just have to stop, you also have to turn the power off and restart it then go back to setup and even after all that it sometimes doesn't even play one song before turning the Bluetooth off again.

I plan to bring it to the dealer tomorrow but my luck it probably will work fine and they won't be able to fix the problem. I will let y'all know.

iPhone ?

4. swordds

swordds New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Took our 2013 Prius to the dealer so they could setup the Bluetooth to see if it would do better. Since then it has worked better but it has turned its self off one time for no apparent reason so we will just continue using it for a while to see what happens.

KFTHWI ? HD

Well having the service manager set up our phones hasn't fixed the problem so we are leaving our car and our phones with the dealer to see if they can trouble shoot the cause. I am not hopeful since the trouble is intermittent and googling the problem brings up others who have said it can't be fixed. Seems worse with the Droid Razor M phone. I'm probably talking (texting) to myself but I thought I would document this for future forum searches since according to google I'm not the first and only person to have this problem.

iPhone ?

#4 swordds, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2014
  5. Chele

Chele New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I'm having a very similar phone with my 2013 Prius. I have it connected to my iPhone 5s. Sometimes, when I turn on the car, the music bluetooth screen will just stay stuck there. Nothing I can hit will make it move, unless I turn off the car and restart it. Most of the time, the music will start but I can't make it to work without the screen turning off and then restarting at least once during the 20 minute trip. The problem has been going on pretty much since I bought the car new in August. But it seems to be getting worse in the cold. Or maybe I'm just noticing it more.

I've been tempted to take it to my dealer to find out what's going on. I have read of others having similar problems and the problem never gets fixed though. So I didn't have a whole lot of hope for fixing it. I'm just thinking that the whole bluetooth connection thing isn't meant for Prime Time, you know?

6. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    There remains reports, even with the latest IOS 7.1 beta code, of Bluetooth problems with the 64bit iPhone 5s when using 32bit apps. If you are only using the native IOS music application to stream from, then, this should be using 64bit code afaik.

The original poster is using an older 4s iPhone, and another device, so it is most likely an issue with the car audio system.

Although I must admit to not having any Bluetooth connectivity problems with a variety of iPhone and Android models over the years.. the JBL system in my 2010 is not the same as that used in the 2013's.

Hopefully for you guys having problems an entune update or something can solve the issue, as working Bluetooth hands free is always great to enjoy.

Roland

7. Al A

Al A New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have about 4,000 miles and the intermittent problem started not long after I got my new phone. So, I thought my phone was the problem. I brought it to the dealer because the Buletooth was off and I could not get it to come back on. It worked when I got there, but then stopped working. I am bringing it in for service on Tuesday. They believe they may need to replace the entire radio.

8. jazzyabby

jazzyabby New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I purchased my 2013 Prius C last August 2014, with only 6K miles. I have taken it to service multiple times over Bluetooth issues. I've been told * "it's fine bc it works with service phones no problem"
    * "your phone will never work with that car"
    I've been told by Entune it needs an 'update' ... service says NO. Finally service manager agrees to replace the system (it's blown 3 backup cameras in this time ~ obviously something is amiss!!!) Enter new service manager, who won't uphold previous managers promise & back to square one. Now, 1 year later I'm forcing the issue to get system replaced ($3K part) & I'm bring told "oh, this is a known issue and if we replace Bluetooth system the problem will still exist" WHAT??? Of course this makes no sense. I'm under warranty, and I purchased extended warranty ~ I'm not settling for a dysfunctional Bluetooth! Nope ... Why pay so much $$ for a car & accept it not working? You all with these similar issues ... don't settle!

Dawit Tafese likes this.
  9. DeeMill

DeeMill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 Prius and have used the bluetooth connection with a standard flip phone for the last 10 years with NO problems. I finally brought a Android Moto G cell phone - no problems connecting and loading my new phone book - worked just fine for over a month. Then last week, I tried to call home, connection was fine but I could not 'hear' the dialing or anyone answering. However, my cell phone was in my purse and I could hear talking. The person I called could hear me but I was getting no voice over the speaker (I had to pick up my cell phone to talk). I checked other navigation tools (MAP) and the speaker works fine. Any clues why I cannot hear sound over the speaker when on bluetooth??

10. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2014 Prius C and have a similar issue. The phone connections and will stop playing music, phone or online services like Pandora within 2 to 5 minutes. This started happening about two weeks after an update was applied. I have it in the shop now for diagnostics. I have done factory resets of my phone and connected multiple phones to the car and all drop connection shortly after playing something. The phones I have work with my other Prius C and other Bluetooth radios in my other cars. There is something wrong with my radio, it is just going to take time to get the service dept to agree. Hard to argue when my other 2014 Prius C works with this phone. I am using a Samsung Note Edge.

11. RandyP

RandyP New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

12. Firewheelman

Firewheelman New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

13. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    you're not gonna get a good answer, i'm afraid. the issue is that the head units are not produced in-house by Toyota, they are contracted out. Toyota isn't unique in this; everyone does it, even the aftermarket audio "manufacturers." so you have the same very small group of people working on dozens of different head units each year. hardware is more or less the same but every company wants their own "design" to it. but there's too little time and money and staff and they constantly have to tweak the design elements instead of fixing bugs. and Bluetooth stacks are picky to begin with even when you have enough resources to give it the attention it deserves.

this is why CarPlay and Android Auto are so great, because the software development is centralized it is easier to manage. give it a few years and these will be standard or at least available on most cars, and we will all be happier.

14. tinywonder

tinywonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm putting myself on this thread because the bluetooth in my 2012 Prius has just developed a similar problem. It has connected beautifully for months, and in the recent two weeks or so, it connects, and fails after about 5 minutes, it just drops the media it's playing and searches for bluetooth devices (that it won't find). My phone can still see the CarMedia system, but the radio cannot find my phone. I don't have any other bluetooth devices to try with it, but because the phone seems to be working the same, I think the problem lies with the radio.

I've had an oil change recently, but this problem didn't occur until a few days after.
    It's falling into winter, so it's super cold in the morning.
    Other than that, nothing is different, so I'm having some issues troubleshooting.

Oh, the bluetooth will work again if the car restarts, but then pulls the same cycle in 5 minutes or so.

15. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm sorry for all the other people experiencing blue tooth issues. I bought my car new, and it workds fine. In fact, all I have to do is turn on my blue tooth on my phone prior to starting up my car and once I start it, the headunit automatically finds my phone and starts my music where I left off before. The steering wheel functions work for me turning up or down the volume as well as scrolling thru my playlist. My phone is a
    Samsung and the service I use is google play.
    I would suggest maybe going on ebay and finding an OEM head unit that is new and buying it, and having a friend help you install it. My feeling is some of these head units seem to be from used Prius cars and they may have been "tweaked" or abused in some way from the prior owner. Or, the prior owner had their own custom unit in it and put the OEM back in when they sold it. Or, when they traded in the car, the dealer took out the custom head unit and put in the stock one with a used one and didn't hook it up right. It could be anything.

16. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have the same problem with a 2013 Prius, head unit 57032, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. The bluetooth will drop mid conversation. In bluetooth setup is shows bluetooth off.

17. leegart

leegart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    This has been a problem for me with my 2013 Prius on and off. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 5. The solution for me was to disable texting in the bluetooth link on my phone. Since then, the phone has stopped shutting off the bluetooth and I can listen to Pandora and have traffic info without interruption. I just can't read texts and e-mail while driving which I wouldn't do anyway.

George W likes this.
  18. Brett121

Brett121 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I had the same problem on my 2012 Prius 3. I had to update the Entune software to version 5.2.0 and that fixed it.

19. DPEXP

DPEXP New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I updated the software and disabled messaging on my phone. my bluetooth and usb still intermittently go inop. This is annoying AF. WHAT IS THE FIX ?

20. kyoo

kyoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    bumping - 2012 prius 5, the bluetooth just disconnects randomly, and fairly frequently. it is the model with navigation but not the larger/technology version. sometimes the entire headunit crashes and reboots, but I'm not sure if that is directly related. any fix yet?