1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth stops working after a few minutes

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by rick619, Aug 9, 2021.

1. rick619

rick619 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bluetooth on my phone usually only works for a few minutes, under 5 minutes usually. After that time, audio will stop. Once this happens, you can't use it again until the vehicle is shut off and back on again.

This is primarily my wife's car and she has never had this problem. My phone works with two other vehicles and other BT devices without issues.

I have also tried different apps: Main app is Sirius XM which is set to 'never lock the phone'. Does the same thing with Pandora.

I thought it might be locking or going to sleep. So yesterday I drove with my hand on the phone and kept adjusting the volume around once per minute to keep the screen on. This didn't help, it still shut off in under 5 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated.

This only happens with my phone: Samsung Galaxy S20 FE.

Model: 2013 Plugin with navigation

2. Deoc

Deoc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The bluetooth on mine stopped working, sometimes works, sometimes sounds is awful, so I stopped using, to fix the issue I went ahead and buy one of those bluetooth boards that have an aux output, like $7 on amazon, i connected to a usb charger and the the aux port, and that's the way it works now.

3. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you tried forcing the car to connect to another phone (which will force it to disconnect from your phone), then reconnecting to your phone? I'm guessing it might work, though it wouldn't solve your problem. Also, you could try turning Bluetooth off on your phone, then turning it on again.

I think you understand, but are reluctant to admit, that the problem is your phone. You may look into installing an alternative Bluetooth stack on your phone. If your phone is rooted, you have more options available.

4. rick619

rick619 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Which one did you get? There's an AUX port? I don't think I have an AUX on mine.

I've seen the Bluetooth FM modulators. Probably don't sound that good.

5. rick619

rick619 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have tried turning off BT and turning on again, no help. When the BT stops working, it won't work again until you shut off the car and turn it back on again.

I don't necessarily think it's my phone. More of a combo of my phone and the radio, some incompatibility. My phone connects to all other BT speakers and radios without a problem.

Also my wife's phone connects to the car without problems.

6. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When the Bluetooth stops working, will your wife's phone still work without turning the car off and on again?

7. rick619

rick619 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I mentioned trying this to my wife. She then let me know the radio started doing the same thing with her phone. So now looking like a radio glitch or some sort of incompatibility with current BT standards. She also has a Samsung phone, but not the same model I have. Hers is more of a budget phone (no wireless charging, etc).

Another thing I thought was odd: I can usually play music off of a thumb drive. Once the BT glitch happens, it will no longer let me play music off the thumb drive until I power cycle the car.

I'm starting to think the fix will be to throw the radio in the trash and get an aftermarket radio that has android auto.

8. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, that changes things. It's looking like a faulty head unit, a bad connection, or interference.

Have you checked the relevant fuses? Make sure they're snug, and they have good electrical continuity. It's possible that one of the connectors behind the unit are loose.

Anybody else have ideas?

rick619 likes this.
  9. Deoc

Deoc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's the unit it self, the USB on mine stopped worked at the same time as the bluetooth, at first it would freeze or just no audio at all, the unit is faulty, sometimes it comes back to work again so it may be a false contact inside, but is more likely is just a defect in the unit, so here is the link for the Bluetooth board I bought on amazon (unable to share link)

MakerHawk 2pcs Bluetooth Audio Receiver Board BT 5.0 Stereo Audio Amplifier 3.7-5V Car Speaker Amplifier for DIY

with a short usb cable and the aux port is next to the usb, the usb and aux port are inside the middle storage.

rick619 and burrito like this.
  10. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This one? $8??

Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/MakerHawk-Bluetooth-Receiver-Amplifier-Speaker/dp/B08D94PGCG/

11. Deoc

Deoc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes that one, the listing is for 2 of them, but maybe on ebay you can find a listing with just selling one at lower price, it works fine let see how long it will last.

12. rick619

rick619 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ok, great! Thanks for the info!

It does seem like something is failing because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Yesterday it worked for my wife, today it worked for me with no explanation. Then two days before that it wouldn't work for either of us.

That audio receiver board is cheap enough! The one thing I'm missing is how to hook it up? Where are you mounting it and what does it connect to?

13. Deoc

Deoc Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bough these 3 things at dollar tree, the 12v to usb charger, the usb cable, and the aux cable, there should be a 12v connector next to the aux/usb inside the storage, I would recommend putting the board on some type of little plastic box or something to protect it in case you put something metallic and it may short out something, I end up just using some hot glue and stick it to the side, I can easly remove it in case I need it without any damage.

rick619 likes this.
  14. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, now I see. You've set up your own Bluetooth module which your car thinks is coming in hard wired through the aux port.