1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth streaming problem - playback speed/pitch constantly fluctuating!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by milesmutt, Nov 21, 2013.

1. milesmutt

milesmutt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So my Verizon Samsung S4 has no problem connecting automatically for both phone and audio streaming, and if I was playing via BT connection it will reconnect and resume playback. I'm currently running the latest Android 4.3 OS.

Problem is, I can hear the playback speed, or pitch, constantly fluctuate! Is this something inherent in bluetooth technology? This happens whether I'm streaming Pandora or tracks on the Music Player app. This anomaly doesn't occur if I have the phone plugged into the Aux jack.

It's not too distracting unless I'm concentrating on listening to the music, and I definitely like the fact that I don't have to plug in my phone every time I want to hear my own stuff.

Any expert opinions out there?

2. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    My car does that if I don't launch the Entune App. Do you have it launched on your phone? I have the S4 - T-Mobile...

3. milesmutt

milesmutt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No I don't have the Entune app installed. Is that necessary on my 2010 III? I thought 2010 MY doesn't have Entune.

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It must be your phone. My S4 running 4.2.2 works fine. None of my other devices connecting to the car, headphones, or speakers via Bluetooth have exhibited a problem like that either.

5. milesmutt

milesmutt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm beginning to think it might be Android 4.3 causing this. I don't recall noticing the poor playback before I "upgraded" the OS. :unsure: :mad:

6. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    On my iPod, running on the usb port, certain bit rates play slower, but that is not every time. A good ear can hear it, others cant

7. milesmutt

milesmutt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I tried to see if my iPad would do the same thing, but I can't get it to pair as a "portable player."

The fluctuation is REALLY noticeable when the car is off and I'm listening to my music. On the road, not so much.

8. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I notice something similar with my iPhone occasionally; the music's pitch gets slightly lower. It's not something I expect anybody other than a musician would notice (my wife hasn't, anyway), and some day I intend to measure just how much, just for fun...

In my case, it happens any time the phone wakes up to do something - so an incoming text message or E-mail, or if I press a button on it. After a few seconds of being awake, the pitch returns to normal. Since the phone doesn't wake very often unless it has to, this isn't something that's normally a problem for me.

9. terpsmandan

terpsmandan Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Galaxy S3 running 4.3.1 (cyanogen 10.2) on my 12 PHV. I am happy that meta data sends the title artist info but every song seems to start loud and then reduce the volume within a second.

10. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like something on your phone. Is there a setting to equalize volume between different songs? I know this has an option in iTunes and on iPhones/iPods ("Sound Check") for many years, so I'd expect you might have a similar option. Depending on how good their implementation is, it might take a moment of playback for it to kick in to reduce the song volume down to what it determines to be a "normal" level. At least, that's how my iPod from 2002 sometimes acts, from back when this was a major innovation...