1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth Voice Dial from Phone??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by wgary, Nov 3, 2007.

1. wgary

wgary Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just got my 07 Prius, Package 7 (year-end bargain). Pairing with my phone went well, but I am finding the Prius voice dialing less than useful. On the other hand, voice dialing on my phone works well. Is there anyway to have the "talk" button activate voice dial on my phone instead of the cumbersome built-in voice dial? Maybe this is a feature of LockPick3, but the description isn't that informative... Any help would be appreciated.

PS... Anyone else find the "That command is not available from this screen" message as irritating as I do? I mean, you recognized the command, so just go to the right screen and do it! Geez Loweez, who designed this system???

2. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wgary @ Nov 3 2007, 10:33 AM) [snapback]534335[/snapback]</div>
    As far as I know, the answer is no. When you think about it though, bluetooth through your car is only good for answering your phone. To many people are glued to their phones while driving as it is. I would just pull over to dial a number.

3. burns_fisher

burns_fisher Burns

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Nov 3 2007, 05:32 PM) [snapback]534404[/snapback]</div>
    I also don't know of a way to do what you are asking for.

However, I have been pretty impressed with the number-dialing capability. The Prius BT gadget seems to get my recitation of a number pretty accurately even if I speak at normal speed, unless I am really TRYING to mess it up.

There is also a dial-by-name capability. In other words, you can record the name you want to say to get it to dial a particular number. This works much better for me than it does on my phone. But that's obviously a characteristic of my phone and my voice.

Just thought you might want to know that it *can* work well, at least under some circumstances.

4. ed_mcardle

ed_mcardle New Member

I was able to get my Treo 755p paired with my 2007 Prius. Now I have a Jabra BT 5010 headset that works fine with the Treo. However, if I start the car with the Jabra connected, the Prius will not connect to the phone. Not a real problem except if I want to transfer the call - as when I am leaving the car.

Would I then transfer the call to my headset; turn off the vehicle; and then turn on my Jabra so that I can use the BT headset?

5. wgary

wgary Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Burns @ Nov 3 2007, 04:45 PM) [snapback]534411[/snapback]</div>
    So I have been playing with the built-in capability the last hour or so. If I get to the keypad, I can only dial by number not name. Moreover, it won't accept the "Dial by Name" command at that point. Is the only solution to hit the Phonebook, then "Talk", then say the name?

When I press "Off Hook" from another screen, why does it sometimes go to the dial pad, sometimes to the "quick" screen? I'm confused.

Can't find a good way to transfer all my contacts. Anyone have experience transferring contacts from Windows Mobile 6? I can't find any option that works well. I did read the boards, but all the solutions about as much trouble as just rekeying.

Last question: You have to individually voice tag your entries, correct?

I guess I've just been spoiled with MS Voice Command, which is so simple-- push my BT headset button, then say "Call John Smith at Work" and there ya go! No need for tagging, doesn't matter what program I'm in, it always works! In contrast, this seems to take a lot of fiddling around to get it to work, but when it does work it works well. I guess the alternative is to just keep wearing my headset like I been doing...

Any advice appreciated...

6. burns_fisher

burns_fisher Burns

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wgary @ Nov 3 2007, 07:19 PM) [snapback]534433[/snapback]</div>
    You can transfer all your contacts, but only if your phone allows it (and does it the same way the Prius expects). Mine was able to do that, although I needed to edit a few things.

As to the voice commands, if you have tagged any names with voice commands, then when you hit the "offhook" switch you can say "Dial by number" or "Dial by name" to get to the place where you can then give a number or name. If you have not tagged any names, all you can do is dial by number. And finally, I think that you get to different screens depending on whether you are moving or not. If moving, you get to the "quick picks" screen. Otherwise, you get to a more full-featured screen with access to all contacts. Or something like that.

I re-read your note after I added mine. I remember being a bit confused myself, and I may not be 100% right, but if I remember right, what screen you start off on depends on

1) Whether you have any contacts at all
    2) Whether you have any contacts with voice tags
    3) Whether you are moving

I can't quite remember the screen where you get to say "Dial by number" or "...name" but I know that I get it now when I am moving and hit the offhook switch. So I think it is the "Quick Picks" screen. I know it was different before I added voice tags.

7. PearlDriver

PearlDriver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ed M. @ Nov 3 2007, 03:53 PM) [snapback]534423[/snapback]</div>

My wife was standing outside a restaurant waiting for me to bring the car over while talking on my cell phone. As I approached, the car took over the call.

I've switched back and forth to and from my earpiece and the Prius BT by turning one or the other off. It is not a "bumpless transfer" because the phone needs time to recognize that one is off and the other is on but it works if both parties are patient. Also, my earbud cannot be on when I am turning on the Prius or it will not connect via BT. I've accidentally left my earbud on in my coat pocket and the Prius wouldn't connect. Switching BT device to phone to another BT device seems to work well unless your hands are full.

8. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PearlDriver @ Nov 11 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]538078[/snapback]</div>
    Your phone should have the ability to switch back and forth between the car's handsfree system and the phone's own ear piece and microphone. In my Sanyo Katana this is accomplished by pushing the "Speaker" button. On my old phone it was a selection from the "in call" options menu. The transfers are instantaneous.

9. sparkyAZ

sparkyAZ übergeek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Does anyone know if the voice commands for dial-by-name and dial-by-number are only on the 06'+ models?

10. Trackus

Trackus New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    What's the process for adding voice tags to contacts in the phone book??? Without tags, I can't "Dial by Name."
    Thanx -
    Mark

11. Spinnerbug

Spinnerbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Voice Tags

You must go to the Phone book screen and register each name you want a tag for. It is a process you must do. It will work, but is not as fast as you might think.

I think that just hitting the off phone switch and bringin up the phone screen, choose your number and then hit the call button on the wheel is faster than waiting for the computer response to each of your commands.

I wish Toyota would take a lesson from Honda regarding how to link and seet up a bluetooth phone system...With HOnda, you just hit the phone button, and say call "Fred" and it says dialing....and the call is made.

12. lambymc

lambymc New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OH MAN I DO FIND THAT EXTREMELY ANNOYING!!! I also think that the whole nav/voice command package lacks common sense...just like you said, it should GO to the right screen! Why can't I just say "dial (name)" and it goes to the phone? I mean what else would I have it dial through?