1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

bluetooth weirdness

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by woody weaver, Mar 18, 2014.

1. woody weaver

woody weaver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Have an android phone, and it pairs with bluetooth earpieces just fine. It uses Bluetooth 3.0.

If I sit down in the car, the phone reaches out and pairs -- but then after a few minutes I get a disconnection notice. If a call is going on, the sound stops coming out of the car speakers and reverts to the phone speakers.

However, if sit down in the car and reboot the phone, there are no problems -- the pairing lasts for the entire drive.

Anyone know where I can find logs to explain what is going on? I wouldn't really mind rebooting the phone, but it is annoying (and I'd like to use an OBD II link to collect the entire session rather than 'shortly after reboot').

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Ahhh, the OBD II link.... you forgot to mention that gadget. It's possible that it interacts with the phone.
    Try disabling the OBD II thing for a while and see what happens

3. woody weaver

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The problem with the phone occurred before the OBD II thing -- it started on the day I took the car home from the dealer. I haven't tried to pair the phone with the OBD II thing yet -- have used a separate tablet. Tablet works, phone works when rebooted, it is just less than optimal.

4. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I recommend deleting the Bluetooth pairing from the phone and the car. Then setup the pairing from scratch and see what happens. This has fixed weirdness for me in the past. Sometimes after a software upgrade, things work better after performing this procedure.

5. David Cameron

David Cameron New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife has a Droid RAZR and a 2012 Prius. The two devices paired perfectly for over 16 months, and suddenly last week they won't stay connected. I've tried unpairing the phone and rebooting it, and turning off the car and restarting it. Then I can get the two device to pair up, but after only a couple of minutes the car screen will read No Bluetooth Connection, although the phone seems to think it is still connected. So I put the car in park and attempt to connect, but car screen reads Bluetooth Off, and I cannot get it to turn back on unless I shut off and restart the car, then the cycle starts all over again (devices remain paired for only a minute, etc). The phone has Android 4.1.2., I'm not sure how long it's been running that version. At first I thought the Bluetooth broke, since it shuts off and I cannot select it back on, but after reading this thread, I'm more confused than ever! Anyone have any advice?

6. woody weaver

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Very good suggestion, and I followed it. No joy.

Rebooting the phone isn't horrible, but it does seem like a bug.

7. Donnie smith

Donnie smith New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine doesn't stay paired when my blue tooth headset is paid with my phone

SPH-L720 ?

8. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    more like a bug on the phone, since after a reboot it is working fine.

9. woody weaver

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, pairing with other bluetooth devices (e.g. headsets, laptop) doesn't require rebooting.

I did look at the compatible bluetooth phones list at http://www.toyota.com/content/entune/pdf/Phone_Compatibility_List_Display_Audio2.PDF . My phone, PG86100, is marked as ok for audio streaming but incompatible with everything else. So I guess I should be happy that with a bit of gyration I can successfully make a call from the car.

It does have other things I have to get used to. I had a conference call that started in the car then I wanted to migrate to a handset. For reasons I don't understand, after starting the call with the car, it wouldn't let me switch to the handset, and I just had to live with the call on speaker as I walked through the building.

Maybe I should change my phone. :)

10. Dean Heckert

Dean Heckert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you...I am having the same trouble and used the link above and notice there was a new version for my Samsung Galaxy 5 to android 5. I received it May 11th and didn't know. So I unpaired my phone and car (Prius III 2013) and Paired again and all is good now. For some reason after each upgrade of my phone I need to re Pair the phone and car.

11. lumpy95

lumpy95 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have an AT&T Galaxy S4 that got the Lollipop 5.0 update about 2 weeks ago and all was fine until 1 week ago and the phonebook, maps and CD player all worked fine but the USB stick ( with MP3's ) and the BT media stopped loading.
    I went in today and the dealer did a firmware update to the Display unit ( from ver 2.2.0 to 3.2.0 ) and it cured all the problems. There is a TSB out for problems. I also have a 2013 Prius three.
    At least yours is still working after the phone update but if you run into problems, get the update.