1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth woes on 2010 Prius III without NAV ... must reboot car?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SirLouie, Jan 4, 2017.

1. SirLouie

SirLouie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello! I've owned my 2010 Prius III without Nav for a little over a year now. My experience with Bluetooth has been ... frustrating, to say the least.

This thread is NOT about my issues trying to transfer my phonebook over. I've read a million stories about people with Verizon bluetooth and other phones that will only transfer phonebook entries one at a time. It's super annoying, but I manually programmed a few numbers I use regularly and I can make do with it.

This thread is about an issue that is far more important to me - my Bluetooth just stops working.

I've paired my phone (an LG Exalt II with Bluetooth 3.0) to my car, and as cumbersome as the Bluetooth is, it does work. For a while. I am able to place a phone call, have a conversation through my speakers, and hang up without a problem.

HOWEVER, the problem occurs for me when I am hung up on, or if I have the call ended in a manner OTHER than pressing the steering wheel hang-up button (e.g. the other person hangs up on me, or the call is dropped due to going through a tunnel, or I press END on the phone itself, etc.)

Once the call is ended in one of these unapproved manners, that's it - my Bluetooth connection is useless. Oh, my phone is still connected. I see the BT and cell strength icons on my display, and I can even make a call using the voice prompts or preset buttons. The Bluetooth voice-over lady talks to me as if everything is ok, saying "dialing..." etc. The phone dials, but I can't hear it dial, and the person I'm calling can't hear me talking, and I can't hear them. If I go to the phone, I can transfer the audio back to the handset and continue the call (not ideal when driving!), but then I can't put it back to the car audio system.

Even if I try to drop the pairing and reconnect when the car is in the "I'm not working" state, it won't let me reconnect - the re-pairing fails. However, if I instead simply shut off the car and turn it back on again, everything is fine - until it happens again.

It has gotten to the point where after I use the phone, I reboot my car at the next stop light (if there is one!) just in case I need to use it again during my drive. It's maddening when I drop a call going 65 on the highway, and then need to pull over and stop to reboot my car so I can place the call again.

I spoke with my dealer when my car was under warranty, and they basically said there wasn't anything they could do. Can anybody help to make my Bluetooth life even a little bit less miserable?

-Shawn