1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Baalphire, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Baalphire

Baalphire New Member

So i know this may not be 100% ethical but i wanted to know if bluetooth is installed on all prii and does it just need to be activated through diagnostic screen?
    I was going to try but i figured i might want some input first

2. harrycw

harrycw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Baalphire @ Jan 25 2007, 07:26 PM) [snapback]380877[/snapback]</div>
    The Toyota site lists 2007 Bluetooth as part of Option E/Package 3. It seems to be part of the JBL 6 Disc system.

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(harrycw @ Jan 25 2007, 06:25 PM) [snapback]380915[/snapback]</div>
    That's not the information the OP was looking for. He wants to know whether the hardware and software are present on all Priuses, and just disabled in those models where it is not part of the option package.

4. harrycw

harrycw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jan 26 2007, 01:45 AM) [snapback]380983[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly why I posted it. The Bluetooth option is only listed in packages with the JBL 6 Disc.
    Very unlikely Toyota would create a Bluetooth controller imbedded in the vehicle and not make it an option with other sound systems.

5. Baalphire

Baalphire New Member

The only reason i even mentioned it is i saw that there is an option to turn it on in the debug menu on the mfd, adn as i saw on another option that security is embedded in the prius only to be unlocked via the dealership programming it

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(harrycw @ Jan 26 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]381321[/snapback]</div>
    You need to familiarize yourself with the concept of "bundling". It's used quite successfully in many products to force consumers to upgrade to a more expensive product when they're really only interested in a small subset of the additional benefits of the upgrade. And economies of scale often mean standardization and fewer SKUs make it cheaper overall to manufacture the more feature-laden product and just disable pieces of it for those unwilling to pay the higher price.

7. harrycw

harrycw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Jan 26 2007, 04:40 PM) [snapback]381344[/snapback]</div>
    I guess that makes two of us. I emailed Toyota Support to ask where the bluetooth circuitry was located.

My question:
    Is the Bluetooth circuitry integrated into the JBL 6 Disc unit, or some other component of the vehicle?

Toyotas response:
    Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:14:41 -0800 (PST)
    From: "Ask Toyota" <[email protected]> View Contact Details Add Mobile Alert

Subject: Prius Bluetooth integration [Incident: 070126-000176]
    Recently you contacted Toyota. Below is a summary of your contact message and our response.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
    Prius Bluetooth integration
    Discussion Thread
    Response (James) 01/31/2007 02:14 PM
    Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.
    We apologize for your concern regarding your Prius's Bluetooth circuitry. It is part of the JBL system.

8. maddys

maddys New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Yes Bluetooth is built into all cars

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I realise this is an old thread, but here goes anyway. Directed at maddys.

So if it is built in to all cars, how do you access it if it is not included in your bundle?

10. Clay Chapman

Clay Chapman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It IS 100% ethical. You bought the car yes? So who owns it?!

11. Cateran

Cateran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The OEM blue tooth board is actually not built in all gen 2 prius. The message we saw on the diagnostic screen is the part of the interface software of the embedded OS of the MFD. If there is the board in the MFD, we can see the firmware version of the board and the settable parameters of the blue tooth.

There are some photos about the blue tooth board of the MFD in the topic I posted. Unfortunately, I don't reach the minimum requirements to post the link yet.

The name of the topic is "The factory bluetooth installation DIY".