1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Blurry backup camera image on 2007 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mainepriusx2, Jun 30, 2017.

1. mainepriusx2

mainepriusx2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a newbie here, so hopefully this hasn't been asked too many times.

The backup camera has been getting more and more blurry over the years. After taking a macro photo of both, I see that the camera lens is scratched...which of course would do it.

What is the best way to buff the lens clean so that I get good resolution on my monitor?

Thanks,
    Ted

Attached Files:

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yikes! I didn't know they were soft enough for that. They are so small that it's hard to experiment with a small area to make sure your polish doesn't make it worse. But, if it was mine, I think I'd try some headlight restoration polish in as small an edge spot as possible and go from there.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    toothpaste?

4. mainepriusx2

mainepriusx2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Jerry.

Well, I don't know if the camera lens is the same material as the headlight covers (which are hazy now), but your suggestion to use headlight polish is good. I've been putting off (aka, procrastinating) restoring the headlights, but I think that's in the cards very soon. And while I have everything out, I'll give the camera lens a try as well.

As for the soft camera lens...I have never used anything gritty on it, though, when it is dirty or covered with snow, I just run my finger across it. I wonder if this has scratched the lens over the years. OK, so here goes: If we can send a man to the moon, why can't we make backup camera lenses that don't scratch with everyday use here on Earth? We should get NASA to work on that!

5. mainepriusx2

mainepriusx2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've read about using toothpaste on headlight covers. The main problem seems to be that it is a very temporary solution. Still, I might give it a shot.

bisco likes this.
  6. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First thing I would try is vinegar. It might just be the calcium and other deposits from rain and dust on the car, similar to hard water stains in the shower. Probably not this, but worth a try.

Otherwise the same techniques that are used on headlights can likely be used to clear up the lens, but I'd be extremely careful about what abrasives you use. Best might be to go straight to using a polishing pad. If that doesn't work, maybe 2000+ grit sandpaper very gently then the polishing pad, followed by headlight wax/polish. If you do this, you'll need to reapply wax every ~3-6 months or whenever the lens gets cloudy.

I don't think I would apply clear coat as I would be afraid to cause distortion in the optics.

7. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I imagine the snowy slop that gets on there in winter is full of gritty salt and sand. I always just wipe mine with my finger, but now I think I might want to figure out a better way.

What I've wondered, now that you mention NASA is how we figured out how to put people on the moon before we figured out how to put wheels on suitcases. :confused:

8. mainepriusx2

mainepriusx2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not a bad idea re the vinegar, thanks. I'd rather do simple (easy & lazy) before doing the more complicated stuff.

9. mainepriusx2

mainepriusx2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think suitcase wheels were a direct offshoot of the lunar rover. See, all that money that went into NASA finally paid off!

jerrymildred likes this.