1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BMS16C - does it really balance cells?

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by overlap, Jun 21, 2010.

1. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    You are going through a "Sweat equity" DIY Enginer kit........for cheap.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just to be clear, the BMS16C does NOT do any balancing except during charging, and only when the highest cells exceed a certain threshold, usually 3.8V. The balancing method is current-bypass, but only a small amount can flow through the sense wires. If a cell is more than a few amp-hours undercharged with respect to the rest of the pack, it could take numerous cycles before that lowest cell converges to fully charged. JeffreyDV's data from last month shows a situation where a few hours of manual balancing would resolved the issue. The BMS16C does an excellent job at preventing overcharge and fatal discharge.

Installers and DIYers alike should take the time to manually balance the cells at the time of installation.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    A charge balancing system it is essential and expensive. Mine works very well because it actively balances all the time. But it is expensive It runs about 50 dollars per battery.

The hook up formula Is "N - 1" Where in n is the number Of batteries The amount of charge it can transfer is limited so icant take a few days if the batteries are way. Out of balance.

Right now on my Zenn, I just exchanged Two of my 6 Lead acid batteries. So i am currently working matching the new ones with the 4 old ones.

It is a bit of a hassle. What i am currently doing It is discharging them to approximately 80 percent then recharging them 4 30 minutes. Unplugging to let them 4 30 minutes so they can balance.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    A charge balancing system it is essential and expensive. Mine works very well because it actively balances all the time. But it is expensive It runs about 50 dollars per battery.

The hook up formula Is "N - 1" Where in n is the number Of batteries The amount of charge it can transfer is limited so icant take a few days if the batteries are way. Out of balance.

Right now on my Zenn, I just exchanged Two of my 6 Lead acid batteries. So i am currently working matching the new ones with the 4 old ones.

It is a bit of a hassle. What i am currently doing It is discharging them to approximately 80 percent then recharging them 4 30 minutes. Unplugging to let them 4 30 minutes so they can balance.

5. overlap

overlap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you very much for clarifying how the BMS16C works. There is no reason why this is not made crystal clear from the beginning and is frankly a time waster for moderately knowledgeable people. Agreed it is performing a CRITICAL function to prevent overcharge and excessive depletion and well worth it, but balancing as I view it, is not one of them.

I sure wish Chargery would get their 16DB balancer shipping. It's Display as described is much larger and improved too.

6. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For the Enginer system, active balancing is entirely unnecessary since it is an auxiliary battery pack. If you don't get maximum discharge because one cell was undercharged to start with, the only consequence is slightly less MPG. I would describe the BMS16C as a balance maintainer; it won't cure cells being significantly out of balance except over a large number of charging cycles, but once a string is balanced, it will stay that way for weeks, months or longer. And it does perform its essential duty perfectly, preventing over-discharge.

7. overlap

overlap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think I agree with this, or I do not quite understand.

If a pack is not balanced to the point where one cell's voltage drops too much yet the other cells in series have not dropped their voltage to the same degree, and if one was to only observe the overall pack voltage that is not yet too low, permanent damage could be done to the low voltage cell.

Perhaps you mean that the converter will be cut-off when one cell gets too low. (I'd rather never get there.)

8. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello Everyone,
    I have taken lots of data from several systems using both the DB8s and the BMS16Cs. From my observations I have a pretty good idea of how the BMS16C operates.

Do not take information given in this thread or similar forums as gospel. I see some errors in the statements here.

However I do agree with Scott on this comment.
    I am very pleased with my BSM16C and I have not needed to do any balancing charge for a long time now.

Thanks,
    Dan

9. overlap

overlap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW, with my 6KW of batteries, once balanced, they stay balanced very well, but the BMS16C contributes nothing at least with how much I charge and deplete them.

If any of you are also electric model helicopter or plane/car hobbyists or can seek one out, the really sophisticated and seriousness ones put a whole lot more into batteries, balancing, charging, etc. They too have contributed a great deal pushing the Lithium technology forward - VERY hard.

10. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello Overlap,

First let me suggest that you go to the Enginer forum and request to be granted "USER" status. You will get information from more knowledgeable people that what you see in PriusChat.

I am ruining 2 systems and collecting data. I am confident that the system with the BMS16C does better than the system with no balancer. I clearly see this in the data. I suspect that you gave up on the BMS16C when it had only done 1/2 of the job it was working on.

Thanks,
    Dan

11. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes. The BMS protects the lowest cell against over-discharge, but if that lowest cell is several amp hours undercharged to begin with, having your pack switch off before reaching your destination means some miles at lower MPG. As opposed to an EV or RC aircraft, where early cutoff has much more serious consequences.

12. overlap

overlap Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My BMS16C could be defective. It would be interesting to see your data and see how you make the judgments.