1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BMW Launches i3 Electric Vehicle Across the Globe

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by eheath, Jul 29, 2013.

1. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A slow poke Bimmer should be a money loser

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't say I agreed with the headline. Tesla clearly leads in bev technology. I do think the car shows some materials leadership in cfrp. I definitely think the i8, looks like technical leadership, but it will be much more expensive than the tesla S. Its a sports car halo, that people that couldn't get their order in for the Porsche 918, may buy for their collections.

After listening to the atkerson interview, its clear he isn't using EPA numbers, we can probably expect a gen II volt with 45+ range around the time of the Gen III less expensive tesla.

Sergiospl likes this.
  3. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If nobody's paid attention, Lexus has a painfully hard time selling their hybrids because the Prius can give people similar features and substantially better mileage. Even the Camry Hybrid can be decked out with leather and nav at a lower price. People who want the best gas mileage for their buck will choose a Prius. Retirees who just want a luxury car that outlives them will buy a Lexus ES or a Camry XLE. Okay, so that's Toyota's luxury division having trouble selling hybrids, which are powered by the most refined hybrid system available. Why does BMW think it will be immune to this? A top-of-the line Volt or PiP will have all the luxury features anyone wants and will deliver great gas mileage with low emissions. Like JDM said, a slow BMW will be a flop. A 1-series hybrid (an ActiveHybrid 1) probably would have helped their profits more.

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You are quite off if you think the prius gives people similar features to a Lexus GSh. The thing is the GSh, LSh, etc don't really get great mileage, and have very high hybrid premiums. If you care about the fuel economy enough, you aren't going to buy that car. If you don't well the hybrid premium (price) is simply too high. Lexus lowered the hybrid premium of the ESh, and those are selling well. They likely can drop the price more when they start making them in the US.

bmw and lexus should both be scared of what is going on with tesla. Electrification is a luxury feature. Lexus clearly does not get it, as you have noted. BMW sees something that you clearly do not. They need to electrify to be competitive 10 years from now. Many people bought bmws that were slower than this new i3. In 10 years when batteries are much cheaper (half the price where they are now) and gas is more expensive that i8 combo of a turbo 3 and a big battery will make perfect sense. Is the i3 as good as the volt? Both need improvement. Both are getting in the game now. The biggest problem I see with the i3 really is the look and the size of the gas tank. I could easily be wrong, or if I am right, bmw has a good platform to work from. Sometimes you need to hit a single, if you swing for the fences every time you may strike out. The i program is a long term program. BMW has been playing with bevs for 40 years. Other than styling there is a lot to like in this design.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The i3 range extender is a motorcycle engine, and has less than half the displacement of the Volt's ICE.

While I don't think BMW has said so directly, their comments along the lines that the range extender is meant as an emergency backup has lead to the conclusion that performance while using it will be limited compared to when using the battery. For every day driving it might not be an issue. It will be for mountain driving.