1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BMW or Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by santamonicagirl, Jan 5, 2013.

?
  1. BMW

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Prius

36 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OP maybe should consider leasing a Lexus CT or ES hybrid for more luxury and "prestige". Unfortunately, I'm sure neither is comparable to a BMW 3-series in handling and the CT is kinda slow.

I don't lease, so I don't know if the leases on the above look like a good deal...

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have time.

3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is no brainer, if money is no issue here, why not both?

The poll is flawed. There should be options for both or neither.

goddess prii likes this.
  4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't that be like owning matter and anti-matter? :p

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    CNW Marketing claimed that 'Prius are a status car' and would not be driven as much as their gas-only equivalent.

Living on the right side of the Mason-Dixon line, we have reputation for 'car art' involving cinder blocks and a yard.

Bob Wilson

6. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Did you only drive those two cars? I think you should test drive some other cars to get a better feel for what you really like/want in a car right now and how much you want to spend.

If you just want more power/luxury and aren't married to having the brand name, there are cars like Hyundai Sonata/Kia Optima, Ford Focus ST, Chevy Cruze LTZ that will certainly provide more power/luxury than the Prius but still be under $30k and will at least have longer warranty coverage and cheaper repairs than the BMW (if not better actual reliability). You may find that there is a car out there that gives you the "fun" you want from the BMW with the price tag of the Prius (or maybe even less).

7. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ain't that the truth.

8. priusbee

priusbee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The chick magnet attracts them like flies -- If you need a BMW to attract them, that would be a dumb move on your part. That kind of relationship do not last, you would be just wasting your time and money. Be yourself, you don't need a car to prove anything.

JMD and sdtundra like this.
  9. priusbee

priusbee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you go to a Prius forum to get answers, of course it is flawed. We are all bias since we love Prii so much. We see the light, we're just trying to convince him to see the light like we do.

I am just saying, if America public all drive Prii, we would definitely put a dent on oil consumption in this country of ours (USA). Look at Europe, the gas prices is at $9 a gallon. So, it puts you in a different frame of mine - as simple as that. I hate to say this, American are spoil on gas prices compare to other countries.

JMD likes this.
  10. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yep just think of the BMW as the Playboy Mansion of your life. Plenty of gals in the Groto but do you want to have em over for Dinner with the Family? Geez can't believe I wrote that... Well maybe you might, it may make your father proud. I digress :)

11. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder if Santamonicagirl has made up her mind yet.

12. priusbee

priusbee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I bet you if the gas price is at $9 a gallon like in Europe, most of us would consider public or other form of transportation instead of driving.

13. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  14. Blueranger

Blueranger Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius is... money in your pocket. Low maintenance cost and best on gas!

BMW's are very nice! but very expensive to maintain. I have owned two and learned my lesson :cautious:

JMD likes this.
  15. bubbatech

bubbatech Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your post started out ok. Then you just got mean.

16. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok,
    There are three BMW hybrids:
    • ActiveHybrid 3
    • ActiveHybrid 5
    • ActiveHybrid 7
    These are fine vehicles, enjoy, and of course come to a place like PriusChat to 'ask.' So I voted for the BMW.

Bob Wilson

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My neighbor has a beautiful BMW Z3 convertible.
    But she also seems to have the latest BMW as well? Why?......
    Because her Z3 is in the shop so much, she spends 1/2 the year driving the dealership loaner BMW.

I have to admit, the 1/2 the year she has her z3, it's a beautiful looking automobile.

From the tone of the OP's original post, I just don't get the feeling the OP is ready to "settle down" with a Prius yet. I'm especially concerned about the admission that the seats don't feel comfortable and the brake feel was odd.

I almost feel like if you are asking "BMW or Prius?" that in of itself is the answer. If you're ready for a Prius? I don't think you are comparing it to a BMW.....the question in of itself becomes the answer.

Obviously this is Prius Chat...and maybe subconsciously The OP is looking to be swayed towards Prius?

To the OP? You're just going to have to decide what your priorities are in your next vehicle. If driving panache, comfort and excitement trumps Hybrid Synergy Drive and the benefits of driving a Hybrid? Then get the BMW or whatever "exciting" vehicle you want.

If you get The Prius while secretly pining for a BMW then I believe your time with The Prius will be short lived. You'll imagine driving comfort and excitement that you are missing.....whether you are REALLY missing it or not.

The easiest answer, is it possible to rent both a Prius and potentially a BMW for a week or longer? Really living with each vehicle for "Days" instead of minutes or hours, might give you a better idea of what vehicle you really want to commit to...

I personally would chose a Prius....given the parameters of BMW vs. Prius, but what I would personally do? Might not be the best choice for you.

cwerdna and bwilson4web like this.
  18. ES44AC

ES44AC C.A.U.S

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hit the wrong choice! Get the Prius!!!! You'll love it, especially when you drive past the gas stations with the $4.xx per gal. gas prices, not to mention the lower overall cost of owning it.

It costs money to play, if that's what you want then get the Beemer and get it out of your system. At least you can say you owned one.

19. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just a FYI driving to work this morning I noticed 2 BMW's on the side of the road broken down. It seems to be a common occurrence. I have yet to see a Prius.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the best choice to date would be Lexus CT200h. Put it in sport mode a lot until getting used to the more leisurely acceleration.

other choices might be : BMW Active hybrid, the all-new VW Jetta hybrid, but don't forget about the Chevy Volt :)