1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

BMW or Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by santamonicagirl, Jan 5, 2013.

?
  1. BMW

9 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Prius

36 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In the same way a gen3 Prius melts inverters and digests steering motors - mine for example.

2. Les_PL

Les_PL Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had the same dillema BMW or Prius last year - both cars were in the same age (2.5 year), similar price and mileage. Besides of all Prius technology, design and ... hmmm.. just "being a Prius" the BMW series 3 is almost 6 inches wider than Prius. Considering all pros and contras it was one of important factors for me (and my wife) - as my garage doors are not much wide - it makes parking easier :)

3. telmo744

telmo744 HSD fanatic

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, but just two thoughts:

- BMW fail after warranty time. At owner cost. Very common.
    - Your Prius has failed copiously, fortunately under Toyota warranty, but is uncommon to fail.

4. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    And has failed OUTSIDE of warranty. Thankfully Toyota did the decent thing and paid for the part and I paid for labour. I'm not sure BMW would have done that, but my Prius has been a lemon and only has 72,000 miles (116,000 km). I am not impressed. It rattles, it creaks, it has broken down and has needed many expensive parts.

telmo744 likes this.
  5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear that Grumpy, it is uncommon for the Prius.
    I am sorry you seem to have gotten the exception to the rule.

telmo744 likes this.
  6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the silliest comparison I can imagine. BMWs are finely crafted 'ultimate driving machines' and I'm sure they are a blast to drive on a curvy road. Prius is great on gas and hybrid synergy drive in novel, it's practical and easy to drive, but that's about where it ends. Prius is sort of slow, doesn't go around corners very well, still feels a little awkward to sit in a drive due partly due to limited steering wheel adjustment range. Ride quality is just ok. It's not all that quiet inside, ok, but not great. Prius is great on gas, but this Cam Hy rental is showing 43 so far, and it drives better than Prius.