1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bob Lutz says Via Motors' X-Truck makes Prius look like a 'gas guzzler'

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Sergiospl, Jan 11, 2013.

1. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Assuming the above is correct, how is the below anything other that a blatant lie?

I doesn't drive like a Volt. It uses a buttload more electricity.

BTW, if it used one gallon for 30 miles with depleted batteries I would still be impressed... (read: I don't buy that either)

I don't know the history of Mr Lutz, so I lack the resentment (or love) for him, but his claims are of the variety that our Dutch trains do 10000mpg...
    Oh, BTW, they are electric, but that's something I only put in the bylines at the bottom somewhere....

And I know I am a foreigner with lacking English language skills, but when someone claims 100mpg, I expect it to do 100 miles on one gallon, regardless of what official explanation of the term is, is that very wrong of me?

2. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you survey most of the Plug in Prius owners on this forum that use Fuelly badges you will notice that with only a few exceptions they all share their MPG using ONLY the gasoline and not counting the electricity consumed.

We have a somewhat national goal here in the US to reduce the consumption of gasoline, which is very well reflected in using MPG as the measure. We generally don't use gasoline or imported petroleum to make electricity.

I will agree that MPG is not reflective of the total consumption, but it is perhaps the most important in achieving a goal of reduced gasoline usage. For Bob Lutz, or anyone else, to use it in the context of how well a vehicle design addresses the goal is ok, IMO.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The words "need" and "Escalade" don't belong in the same paragraph. If someone wants an Escalade and can afford it and it's still legal, then more power to them

dbcassidy and sdtundra like this.
  4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's not wrong, but if you are expecting honesty from a car peddler, then you are setting yourself up for a major disappointment.:cool:

There is long history of builders and sellers of EVs and plug in hybrids making ridiculous MPG claims. Lutz is merely continuing that tradition.

5. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, there really isn't a general site that handles plug-ins effectively for vanity stat sigs.

VIA is just doing this and in particular the luxury SUV to try and pull in more money to help them with their very laudable core goal of electrifying large vehicles. The problem with VIA, even worse than Azure, is that it's the wrong way round. VIA takes a vehicle, turns it into a glider, builds a drivetrain and assembles the vehicle. Contrast that with the Toysla RAV4 EVs where Tesla builds the drivetrain, ships it to Toyota who adds it into their glider. The Toysla model benefits both by lowering marginal costs and the unit's share of fixed costs. The RAV4 EV may be a compliance vehicle, but it's one manufactured the way any other vehicle is manufactured and I give Toyota credit for taking it seriously.

drinnovation likes this.
  6. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's fairly easy to use Fuelly for both electricity and gasoline. You just have to enter both fuels rather than just gasoline.

You can look at mine for an example, or at PriusKitty's .

www.fuelly.com/driver/jhatchett/volt

www.fuelly.com/driver/priuscat/prius-plugin-3

electricity is just so inexpensive that people just don't seem to care about how much they use compared to gasoline.

fuelly just isn't very good for MPG, since the site treats any entries greater than 200mpg as typos. something just about every Volt driver has experienced and a few PiP drivers.

7. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe Tesla will be do a drive train for a Tundra and Sequoia.

Btw, the RAV4 EV had to have extensive re-engineering done on the glider, but it was not wasted on a compliance vehicle as the lessons learned are going into a 50 state RAV4EV, with another Tesla drive train.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Then basically, we could report anything we wanted without any accountability. How would you know how often the vehicle was plugged in?

The same could be said about gasoline too... if you're only filling the tank a few times per year.

9. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Yeah. And remember, replacing inefficient vehicles (e.g., big SUVs) with X% more efficient vehicles saves more gas than replacing efficient vehicles (e.g., Corollas) with X% more efficient vehicles, given the same number of vehicles and miles driven.

John Hatchett likes this.
  10. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It sure got people talking after Bob stirred it up.

11. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bob seems to think the fleet buyers is the audience for this conversion.

12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    MPGe during EV driving if you don't drive past the 21 mile range, or you will see an mpg decline after the 21 ev-mile range when the 100 mpg equivalent averages with the 35-40 mpg or so of the HV mode.

A Californian facing record $5-per-gallon gasoline and turning in an average 23-mpg vehicle for a C-MAX Energi would pay the equivalent of $1.25 per gallon for the same distances traveled. Ford C-MAX Energi Rated America’s Most Fuel-Efficient Plug-in Hybrid at 108 MPGe; Saves Customers $7,000 in Fuel Costs | Ford Motor Company Newsroom

[​IMG]
    "(The Miles-Per-Gallon-equivalent measure looks at how many miles a plug-in car can cover electrically on the same energy content that’s contained in 1 gallon gasoline.)

Over the course of our 79.7-mile test, which included lots of hills and canyons along the coastal highway, the C-Max Energi logged a blended gas mileage of 62.8 mpg." 2013 Ford C-Max Energi Plug-In Hybrid: First Drive (Page 2)

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Isn't it annoying to see these "automotive journalists" review cars that runs on two fuels and do NOT report back two separate fuel efficiency? They only report how many gallons it used to drive all the miles. What about electricity kWh?

It really is not a hard concept.

14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    GM is not working on this! Bob Lutz is using his connections to create a start up that produces phev trucks. The only thing GM has to do with this, is they are selling the start up shells, engines and parts.

15. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like something Hummer drivers might look into. :D

dbcassidy and usbseawolf2000 like this.
  16. rico567

rico567 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's going to be a challenge, as fuel prices continue upward, to find affordable vehicles that are at the same time fuel-efficient enough and possess enough utility so that large numbers of people will buy them. Current vehicles aren't doing it, and Americans only buy them in large numbers because our generally pitiful public transportation leaves us with little choice. In Europe car sales are in the tank because people have alternatives, and they use them.

17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    A good PHEV truck could greatly reduce oil use in one of the least efficient segments of light vehicles. I hope that the Toyota/Ford partnership or GM are able to give us one in the next 5 or so years. This thing that Lutz is promoting isn't likely to sell.

In Europe car sales are in the tank because of the financial crisis, which comes with 10.7% unemployment in EU-27. Different safety and pollution standards allows a few efficient models that we don't get in the US, but I don't think that is the main driver. Lower standards do make some of these vehicles less expensive though. IMHO European safety standards do not hurt safety, and US ones should be looked at to see if some of the extra ones actually make us any safer.

This year oil prices are expected to be slightly lower than last year, along with a recovering economy vmt should increase. We can hope that people will buy more efficient cars to reduce longer term price increases. Lack of good public transport, along with long commutes does greatly increase vmt versus Europe.

18. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no one "needs" a Prius either. I am sure you can get by with a bicycle and a pair of sandals. Both a Prius and an Escalade are luxury items for consumers.

19. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not the one that misused the word "need".

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  20. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I qualified "need" fairly well. but if you have a need to troll I can't stop you.