1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bob Lutz says Via Motors' X-Truck makes Prius look like a 'gas guzzler'

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Sergiospl, Jan 11, 2013.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I know why I'm not going to get one ... because with a $16trillion debt and the middle class disappearing, it's more prudent to consolidate rather than spend even as much as what it costs for a Volt ... much less things more costly. That doesn't mean they won't build them. It's just that it'll be impossible for the middle class to afford them.

sdtundra likes this.
  2. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not saying I know what construction workers do but what I am saying is from what i've seen, unless you are going to the jobsite, you don't drive your work truck everywhere. My wife's uncle is a contractor and has a Chevy 3500 with custom made bed/racks and the 6.0L gas engine. He gets 8mpg loaded or empty just due to the weight. He has another 1/4 ton and a midsize sedan to drive the times when he isn't working. I'd be curious to see what this truck gets towing or hauling any weight.

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    8mpg isn't good at all... at least my fathers ford gets about 13/14mpg. there's time he uses my moms FJ... when he uses the truck, it's usually a distance and therefore he is in it all day.. wether it be lunch or hauling.. towing nets a few less mpg.. but not much less.

as for hill's response.... that's a similar internal reason as to why i wouldn't get one. i just don't care to touch the politics of that.

4. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And the Volt? - forgetaboutit! Nobody needs that.

DBCassidy

5. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    "... makes Prius look like a 'gas guzzler' ..." Ha . . . . . Bob Lutz - Prius - Bob Lutz - Prius ... Bob Lutz PRIUS!! He's been known to call it a geek mobile ... and now he calls it a gas guzzler (in relation to a concept truck). It's pretty obvious that the Prius is the Bane of his existence. Apparently in Lutz's world now, all super mileage cars are comparred to the Prius. That's a huge win for Toyota, and a true mark of shame for Lutz (... GM and all U.S. auto makers, really) He can't stop thinking about it. And why not ... the Prius is a glaring reminder that GM couldn't match its amount accessories, size, comfort, interiour and 50mpg ... and he'll carry that mockery to the grave. Bye bye Lutz ... here's to feeling sorry for you for not being able to let go. Keep telling us more about how the Prius is bad, comparred to your next offering. And thanks for the comparrison!
    ;)

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    His "stop gap" and "halo" campaigns against Prius all those years ago still hurts from having been proven wrong. The failure of Two-Mode to gain sales made it worse. The struggle with Volt now must inferiate. So, it's no surprise seeing him lash out again.

8. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does Toyota have any plans to come out with a 100mpg Tundra or Land Cruiser ?

With 15+ years on my LC I will be looking for a replacement soon.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You mean with E85? 15 MPG on 15% of gas (85% ethanol), would give 100 MPG (just counting gas).

People with a right conscious would not do such things, so electricity usage (nor ethanol) can't be ignored.

dbcassidy likes this.
  10. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you refering to the Toyota Plugin Prius drive simulator that shows MPG without electricity ?

priusplugin-virtual.toyota-digital.com/ PiP Simulator.jpg

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Have you actually view the entire simulation? It clearly shows you to charge it, gas it up, then it drives in EV miles (highlighted in color) and then the rest of gas miles highlighted in a different color.

It does say it takes 3 hours on 120v charging or 1.5 hours on 240v.

If you want to know the kWh used, it is about 3.1 kWh per charge.

12. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just registered for Wednesday's event at the Sheraton Hotel and Marina in downtown San Diego across from the airport. It is being put on by San Diego Gas and Electric, its called Energy Showcase 2013 from 11am-2pm and VIA motors said on Facebook that they will have their EREV truck for test drives..who knows if its actually driving or just riding along. I will def. post up opinions, MPG and MPGe of the truck.

Energy Showcase 2013 | San Diego Gas & Electric

John Hatchett and JMD like this.
  14. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Usually it's as a copilot test drive.

15. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like a good event. I'm chained to a desk that day or I would attend.

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    awesome until you're pack is depleted - & for the next 350 miles, you only get 9 miles per gallon.

dbcassidy likes this.
  17. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Lots of trucks only go short distances. A phev truck could be a major fuel saver, for those types of trucks. I don't trust via motors will do well, but nothing wrong with the idea. A pick up that goes 390 miles a day, should be a turbo charged di gas or diesel. A 30 mile aer erev phev silverado, f-series, or tacoma would be a great fuel saver.

18. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the problem is my LC is already depleted when I turn the key on, and for the next 390 miles.