1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Bob's review: finally sat in one

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by bwilson4web, Aug 4, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Friday there was Prius c at the dealer that I could sit in. I didn't need to do a driving test as much as just understand the form, fit and function:
    • rear after body - it really ends high compared to the regular hatchback, at least a foot or so higher. Having the roof line taper reduces drag by recovering more of the air energy like this modified Civic.
    • driving position - I like losing the 'flying bridge' as over time, a lot of stuff can accumulate to no good purpose so it no longer feels like there is a wall between me and my passenger. I would rather date in a Prius c. I do miss the door over the upper passenger glove compartment as this is where we keep registration, insurance papers and flashlight/handy tool. The seat feels utilitarian, a little like a pickup truck, but for a commuter car, not a bad solution. But I could see an aftermarket or upscale seat.
    • engine compartment - I'm glad that silly, plastic engine cover over the valve cover is gone. In the 1.8L, the plastic cover may reduce engine valve noise but it is just one more thing to hide the important stuff. Still, lots of space in the engine compartment and I can see opportunity for a 'sound deadening' kit. Something like the pads used in elevators that drapes over the engine with cutouts could make an effective sound deadening blanket. The old 2001-03 Prius, the NHW11, had a lot of posts about sound deadening techniques and I can see that happening again with the Prius c. For self-maintenance, I prefer easy access to the engine bay and an easily removed, 'blanket' works for me.
    • front bumper air inlet cover - I hadn't really noticed it in the 2012 and see it is shared by the Prius c. In one respect, it should lead to improved, cold weather shields as a canvas or plastic segments with bungee cord hooks will attach easily and improve the smoothly flow the air around the bumper. Then during warm weather, it could roll up and store in the back. This aerodynamic mod could easily improve highway mileage, especially in cool weather, 50F (10C) and below.
    • foam blocks over the spare - although I understand why, I don't like the loss of storage space. I can see an aftermarket, false floor and a canvas cover over the spare area. Also, I didn't see the 12V battery and the salesman didn't point it out either.
    We have a perfectly fine, 2003 Prius, and 2010 Prius . . . we're not looking to trade or change. Overall, I see the Prius c as an excellent commuter car that with a couple of fairly easy mods could become an awesome, run-around.

Bob Wilson

ftl likes this.
  2. Emily Allerton

Emily Allerton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Great review!