1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Body Damage to Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Prolix, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Prolix

Prolix New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was wondering if anyone knew if a 2007 prius frame can be fixed. I was driving home on the beltway when there was a stopped car ahead of me, I braked and stopped barely in time, but the car behind me plowed into my car and drove away. The left corner of my Prius was bent to the tire (rendering it undrivable), and the bumper was completely torn off.

I'm also a little dejected as I replaced the hybrid battery (at the dealer's),12V battery, brakes (to pass the MD inspection, in hindsight probably worth it, as it kept me from hitting the car in front of me), and tires within the last 6 months on this car. I was hoping to get 5 more years out of it.

I'm wondering 2 things, as I wait to hear from the adjuster:
    1. Is it possible to have the frame on a Prius straightened out? I'm concerned that this process might not be feasible financially for an 2007 Prius in the insurance company's eyes.
    2. If not, has anyone had success with arguing with the insurance company for a higher payout based on recent repairs done on the vehicle?

DLC82SV likes this.
  2. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Springs Hybrid Automotive in Colorado Springs only sell Prius with salvage titles. They manage to get 4 to 6 grand out of 200k+ mile gen 2's. so I'm sure it can be done. They might be the ones to call and ask. Anyone with a frame rack should be able to make it drivable, however these guys claim their cars don't even chew up tires after being totalled so they might be worth calling. Best wishes.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Prolix likes this.
  3. DLC82SV

DLC82SV Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I will buy the HV battery from you and come pull it myself if you end up not being able to get it repaired. They call recent repairs necessary maintenance. They never treat me right on value. I got the same pay out as a person who neglected their car would with proof of mine being immaculate. Feel free to reach out to me regarding the hv battery plz.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Not all is lost.

Contact Scott at Autobeyours (Prius hybrids sales and service Scottsburg Indiana). They have a gift of turning insurance salvages into proper working vehicles again, and they are REPUTABLE.

Replacement of the HV Battery, 12V battery, tires, brakes, etc is called maintenance for wear items. Cheaper to replace the wear items than buy a new or young used car. If the HV Battery was replaced by a Toyota dealer, then you are sitting on a very young HV Battery that will likely give you 8-10+ years of service. Consider getting another Gen2 Prius (2004-2009) that has a bad battery and buy that. Transfer your GOOD HV Battery over and take the 12V and tires with you too. Or, get a Gen3 w/ a bad battery and transfer the Gen2 modules into the Gen3 case, and be good for 8-10+ years.

Next car, get a 2channel dash cam system. Blackvue (BlackVue: the Best Dash​cams - Protect Your Car While Driving or Parked), arguably makes one of the best ones on the market. You can do your own research of 2channel dash cams. Massdrop (Massdrop: Community-Driven Commerce) periodically has the higher end Blackvue 2ch dashcams. Massdrop is like groupon but of higher end items that need a minimum number of preconfirmed buyers, before the price is eligible.

Prolix likes this.
  5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry. I can guarantee you that insurance will write the car off. 11y/o very little value.

Cost of body work will exceed 50% of cars value. Most insurance companies draw the line at 50% and will just cut you a check; some go slightly lower to 45%. Flood damage they always cut a check for obvious reasons: electrical and safety components (air bags) are compromised. Repair and replacement of water damaged parts too great of a liability for insurance company to let the vehicle back on the road; cheaper to cut a check.

You can always beg/plead w/ the adjuster to get a higher value than what they initially offer.

Prolix likes this.
  6. Prolix

Prolix New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh, I will plead with the adjuster. I've got paperwork for the replacements. Well, I can start looking for Prius No. 2. I just find it rather ironic that I have had my first car for less than 13 months and have had 2 (not at fault) accidents.....Then again I did put almost 20k more miles on it in that time.

DLC82SV likes this.
  7. Prolix

Prolix New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The insurance chose to total the vehicle, as it would be over $2300 to repair. They want to offer me $3000 for the vehicle, which is ridiculous. I'm going to try for at least $4500 not including sales tax, as the selling value for the car is over $4500 in my area, even with a high mileage vehicle.

DLC82SV likes this.