1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Body Flex - Windshield Crack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Seagull6, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Seagull6

Seagull6 New Member

I have a 2006 Prius with 41K miles. About a year and a half ago I got a stone chip in the middle of the windshield which developed into a major crack requiring that I replace the windshield.

Over the past few weeks I have noticed the car making a creaking body flex noise that reminded me of my old Corvette when I had the targa top out. I didn't pay much attention to the noise until today when driving down the highway, I head a snap and noticed that a crack had developed on the right side of the windshield starting inside the molding at the window post running about 3 inches towards the center. After about 30 minutes it was 6 inches long. There was no stone chip or even another vehicle around me.

Does anyone know what might have casued this latest crack? Is there anything about body flex on a Prius that causes windshields to crack? Could the problem have been from an improper installation on the last windshield? :(

2. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sorry to hear the windshield has cracked again....
    It's possible due to improper install, but also is because the last replacement was not a genuine Toyota WShield....which may have less tolerance level.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If the replacement windshield touched the body -anywhere- it can cause it to crack. This applies to any vehicle. I'd take it back to them (the company that replaced the windshield) for resolution.

The Prius doesn't have a problem with body flex cracking windshields.

Note that in -all- modern cars, the windshield IS part of the body and the body strength. They won't let you drive it until the adhesive has cured when they replace a windshield as it could be dangerous if you got in an accident. The vehicle wouldn't absorb the energy properly and you could suffer worse injuries.